Hello all. I was picking up my vintage Sunn 2000s Amp Head and I noticed it sounded like something was moving around inside. So I took it apart and found this extra capacitor floating around inside. I have no idea what it is doing in there? The others seem to have holding brackets to hold them in place. I am not good at reading schematics. Can someone please tell me if this part goes inside this amp? I do repairs on electric guitars and know how to solder, I have built a couple of small electronics, so if it needed to go somewhere I think I could do it. Or maybe someone left it in there by mistake. I have no idea! Here are pictures of the inside and the extra piece. Please any help would be greatly appreciated.

Does the amp work fine?

If so I wouldn't worry about it.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
The schematic shows a .05Mf cap from the power transformer to ground. They could have used what was on hand in place of it.
That's the "death cap" that was used to reduce hum in conjunction with the polarity switch in old (mostly Fender type) amps. Modern updating practice for these amps is to install a 3-prong power cord and remove the cap, because if it shorts out it's going to murder you.

Not sure why whoever cut it out left it in the chassis, but they at least did you a favor by removing it. If it's got a 3-prong cord you're all set, if not you'll want to finish the job and install one.
Quote by Roc8995
That's the "death cap" that was used to reduce hum in conjunction with the polarity switch in old (mostly Fender type) amps. Modern updating practice for these amps is to install a 3-prong power cord and remove the cap, because if it shorts out it's going to murder you.

Not sure why whoever cut it out left it in the chassis, but they at least did you a favor by removing it. If it's got a 3-prong cord you're all set, if not you'll want to finish the job and install one.
I knew that cap was familiar. I don't work on vintage gear often, good refresher!