Hello there! I'm currently building my first project guitar, and I've reached the point where I need to decide on the bridge I'm going to be installing into my guitar.
I would love to install a floyd rose as I'm a huge fan of them but my concern is the price and how hard it is to install them. My current second choice is a tunematic style bridge (Thru-body), but I really want the floyd rose look on my guitar (The look is mainly what I'm going for, I already have another guitar with a floyd). Are there any bridges that look like this but may be easier to install? I've heard things about some ibanez bridge that may be similar but apart from that I haven't heard of any other system.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Who needs shred when you've got rhythm guitar? :^)
Guitars:
Jackson King V (With a Wilde L500XL in the bridge)
Ibanez Iron Label RGIX27FEQM (7-string)
Quote by kabadi.man
have you cut the neck pocket on the guitar yet?

No I have not. I tend to mess things up due to insufficient planning so I'm planning all the aspects out and buying before I build
Guitars:
Floyd rose makes a surface mount version. Its designd to mount to tom/stoptail bridge combos, might be able to just direct mount it and bypass the tunomatic or install a tom and the Floyd for the best of both worlds!
It's the FRX bridge.
Last edited by Liaztraht at Sep 8, 2016,
Quote by Liaztraht
Floyd rose makes a surface mount version. Its designd to mount to tom/stoptail bridge combos, might be able to just direct mount it and bypass the tunomatic or install a tom and the Floyd for the best of both worlds!
It's the FRX bridge.

Unfortunately, the FRX is not the best of either world. There have been a few purchasers over on MLP, but its chief claim to fame seems to be that it allows people to have something that avoids drilling and routing their precious LPs. The truth is that it's quite limited compared to a real Floyd. I have a half dozen LPs with Floyds and the commitment to doing it right pays off.
Quote by dspellman
Unfortunately, the FRX is not the best of either world. There have been a few purchasers over on MLP, but its chief claim to fame seems to be that it allows people to have something that avoids drilling and routing their precious LPs. The truth is that it's quite limited compared to a real Floyd. I have a half dozen LPs with Floyds and the commitment to doing it right pays off.

I wouldn't know haha. I'm not one for tremolo. If it's no good I retract my input.

I say go with the tunomatic unless OP is completely confident in routing for the floyd.

I personally like the look of a tom with a string through setup. It can look classy or have an "industrial" cool look depending on the guitar and finish.
Quote by Liaztraht
I personally like the look of a tom with a string through setup. It can look classy or have an "industrial" cool look depending on the guitar and finish.

I have absolutely no problem with routing for the floyd, but I think a TOM would be better for what I'm looking for because it's cheaper. I can always route the cavity and install later on if I decide I want one. I'm having trouble finding a good "industrial" looking TOM though.
Guitars:
adexder black nickel tom on a satin black guitar would be the standard in my eyes. With the holes for the string through in a v shape pointing at the bridge or even slanted away from it.

It does depend on the body shape and the headstock shape. Basically the finishing touch. For example a flat top strat or carved top dinky style with an inverted 6 or 7 inline pointed headstock.

At its basic just imagine black nickel or
Black chrome in place of the chrome.
Last edited by Liaztraht at Sep 9, 2016,
kabadi.man
That is a badass looking bridge. Now I have GAS. I need that and matching hardware for my l.p. studio goth...
Go with decent TOM for now, if later you wish to switch to a trem then have a look at a Stetsbar which will be a direct replacement no hassle fit that uses the original posts of the TOM,