Page 1 of 2
I've noticed people in my age group are absolute trash at public speaking. I'm taking a class for it that starts tomorrow, but I've never needed it. I just need credits for a category for my degree. I've always been naturally excellent at speaking to groups. What about you? Do you struggle with public speaking?

TFW you watch your classmates and their absolute trainwrecks of a presentation.
Free Ali
Last edited by chrismendiola at Sep 6, 2016,
I've become fairly competent at addressing crowds through work and playing in bands. You just have to realize nobody gives a fuck and isn't really listening anyway.
Check out my band Disturbed
I have crippling social anxiety so no
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by StewieSwan
I've become fairly competent at addressing crowds through work and playing in bands. You just have to realize nobody gives a fuck and isn't really listening anyway.

Or you could be really good at it and make sure people are listening.
Free Ali
There was one girl in my speech class that NEVER talked, and I'm pretty sure English wasn't her first language. So when she had to make a speech I had to bite my tongue down real damn hard. It was painful to watch and I felt really bad, but I couldn't help myself.

I get a little nervous when I have to speak in front of 20+ people and it's probably obvious, but I manage. The worst is when I have to explain something science related because I've not a clue how any of it works.
Quote by DisarmGoliath
Facesitting is a violation of freedom of speech, because how can you speak when you have an ass covering your face?
I don't care if I'm absolute trash at public speaking, I just want to get it over with. I hate it
WHAT A
HORRIBLE
NIGHT TO
HAVE A
CURSE.
I've never really tried real public speaking but i'm probably trash. I am sometimes good with good class presentations when idgaf and just make people laugh. I've brought carl cockatoo to every class presentation (with one exception) and it never fails to get me an a
Last edited by slipknot5678 at Sep 6, 2016,
I was shit in school at it

then I went to business school and pretty much every class had presentations as part of the work and you can only hide behind the charismatic people so long (while doing all the paperwork ofc) by third year I was smashing solo presentations to big 100-300 groups no problem.

occasionally at work I might present to a bunch of people about something, and I find that fine now as long it's on a topic I know well. although, I've not got the charisma level to blag it from limited information/when I don't really know the topic (like people at the top often can). these days, talking to smaller groups is kinda more bother as I end up being concerned whether each person is taking it in and usually improvising a bunch as required, larger groups it's some nice fixed thing so I don't stop or hesitate or go on a tangent. also with smaller groups, I'm usually teaching/training, bigger ones it's pretty much always simply presenting.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
I was on the debate team in highschool and I got to quarter finals pretty much every tournament in Lincoln Douglas debate, and I consider myself a decent speaker when I have lots of knowledge on a subject. Sometimes I did pretty well in improv speaking too, if I was feeling confident that day, but it's still not as good for me.

I took a speech class in college and I didn't like it all. The topics sucked so I usually just grinded through the speech with uhhs and umms and didn't really give a fuk. Just depends on my mood
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

actually, giving presentations was something i had trouble with, but i never had much of an issue with debates in my history and Con. law classes in high school.

that might have just been because my teacher was really chill and i could get away with a lot of shit.

like during one mock trial when this obnoxious kid kept shouting "objection" every 3 words out of my mouth and i finally just screamed at him to shut the fuck up.

my teacher just said "overruled"

performing DARE skits was something i loved in grade school, too.

i always volunteered to be the person who did the drugs and surprise surprise, i ended up doing a lot of drugs.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
I always feel like a total wreck when talking about something important in front of people, even if it's just one other person. But I have been told many times that I radiate an aura of calmness and I always seem to know what I'm doing, So I guess I'm really good at hiding it.

I find large crowds easier to deal with than small groups, probably because I'm used to lots of people staring at me during performances.
cat
I used to be super shy but now that i'm a teacher I quite like to get infront of people and talk. I'm sure i'm not an excellent public speaker, but I think i'm alright.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by Trowzaa
I have crippling social anxiety so no

100% this.

When growing up I had a stutter as a speech impediment.

Now that I am older and more aware of it, it's very much so worse to the point where talking to new people is impossible as they end up thinking that I am some sort of idiot.
The content of this signature is pretty much irrelevant
i'm pretty good at it if it's something i've prepared for. if it's just like an on the spot "oh john time for you to give a thirty minute dissertation on the ethics of gaming journalism" i panic
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
I'm on the 'crippling social anxiety' side of this one
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
I do not struggle with getting up & speaking & being articulate & focused, but I struggle with the fact that I am not an exciting or charismatic speaker.
Of course I am also not an exciting or charismatic conversationalist/human being, so yeah, what's up?
I'm glad to hear you're a natural at it chris.
Speech class was fun and easy.
But oh,
the cringe
when 15 minutes go by
and the guy in front of the class
is looking down and pacing back and forth
saying everything yet nothing
and you want it to end
but the professor lets it go on

Quote by Pastafarian96
I an evety characyer in this story
Quote by rock.freak667
100% this.

When growing up I had a stutter as a speech impediment.

Now that I am older and more aware of it, it's very much so worse to the point where talking to new people is impossible as they end up thinking that I am some sort of idiot.

I have a friend with a terrible terrible stutter. He's never nervous or anything, he just takes forever to say a simple sentence. I feel bad for him, because he's a bright guy and has good stuff to say. but I can somewhat relate.

When I was a little kid I had a slight stutter but I outgrew it by the time I was like 10-11 years old. Besides the occasional "block" in speech when I couldn't spit out the word, most people, other than my parents, didn't notice my stammer at all. It only happens when I was nervous or really excited.

I guess the more confident I became with my speaking (joining the debate team, singing in a band, volunteering, clubs, etc) the less of a mental block it became. To this day I only have blocks if I'm like really drunk or stoned haha
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)

Last edited by k.lainad at Sep 6, 2016,
I think stuttering getting worse is just a learned muscle memory for anticipating it over time. Really sucks, glad mine never got to that point.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

Quote by The_Blode

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.

Last edited by k.lainad at Sep 6, 2016,
I'm pretty decent at public speaking, apparently I'm quite engaging, mostly due to incredibly enthusiastic body language.

This man knew how to speak in public
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
Don't particularly enjoy it, but people seem to respond positively if I do give a presentation or something. I think it's because I tend to really focus on the people I'm speaking to (eye contact and all that) and on actually bringing something across, rather than just mumbling into the room and trying to get it over with.

I'm also not that bothered by some of the typical awkward moments, despite being mostly very quiet. Like when someone tries to say something, but people don't seem aware of it or don't care and keep talking amongst themselves. Usually it's as easy as just starting to talk slightly louder than everyone else while ignoring that they're talking. Shuts most people up within seconds.
Last edited by ultimate-slash at Sep 7, 2016,
I think one of the things that has made me a decent public speaker is having a really deadpan sense of humour, like I can be giving a presentation on some boring shit, and I'll just throw some random comment or joke in there without breaking rhythm, and it keeps people interested.
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
And everything must pass
I don't tend to stutter but I lose my train of thought very easily so you have a lot of 'uhs' in there, and I'm naturally self-deprecating so I'm not exactly exuding confidence when I speak publicly or play music live.

I'm generally not very good at conversation anyway but in a professional environment I'm somehow a real people's person and I've got a really good phone manner which just sort of came out of nowhere the first time I was required to answer the phone at work.
My old signature was too long. Have a daisy.

My phone manner and my customer service manner are really casual, if someone comes to the counter, I just say "G'day, what can I do for you?"

Because tbh, am I the only one who kinda cringes when some smarmy boot licker comes up to you in a store and is like "Hello there, can I help you sir?"
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
And everything must pass
Quote by RAB11
I don't tend to stutter but I lose my train of thought very easily so you have a lot of 'uhs' in there, and I'm naturally self-deprecating so I'm not exactly exuding confidence when I speak publicly or play music live.

I know the feeling actually. Don't normally stutter myself, but in high school (and still sometimes) I often found myself being unable to pronounce half the words I was trying to say because there's always this big pile of conflicting thoughts in my head and I can't get all of them out of my mouth at the same time.

Started to become less once I learned to just keep quiet for a bit if I didn't have my thoughts worked out yet. It's incredibly tempting to try to think/talk faster when you mess up, but I found it to be so much more helpful to go "right, that's not working, let's take a step back and try again"
public speaking allows me to raise my voice and establish complete authority over a large crowd, it's great

im basically the hitler

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Quote by i_lovemetallica
My phone manner and my customer service manner are really casual, if someone comes to the counter, I just say "G'day, what can I do for you?"

Because tbh, am I the only one who kinda cringes when some smarmy boot licker comes up to you in a store and is like "Hello there, can I help you sir?"

That is polite conversation in Australia though isn't it?

I mean I'm not reading off a script when I speak to customers or anything, I judge the situation as it requires. Like, I work with the military, if it's a senior officer with a stick up his arse I'll play it by the book with 'sir' and all of that rubbish, but if they're casual with me I'm casual with them while still being professional. It's not difficult. It's more the sort of small talk I manage to come out with while I'm looking for something, or entering something into a form or whatever, I'm not normally that confident and relaxed talking to basically anyone else which I don't get at all.
My old signature was too long. Have a daisy.

You English speaking folk have it easy. I have to decide whether address someone with formal or informal pronouns

Luckily most people don't care that much, but it's probably just as, if not more likely that someone gets offended when you use formal, because they might take it as you implying they're old or something. Whereas people who insist to be talked to in formal manner are usually actually old and also cocks.
If I have a script, I'm good, otherwise it devolves into monotone flimflamery.
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
Last time I spoke in public, I was well collected and spoke rather clearly (not entirely, but mostly. I don't think it was very obvious) but I guess I was still nervous because my hands were shaking.

I didn't notice until I saw them and I was like "yo, why are you shaking?" because I like to believe I have nerves of steel and would like to formally blame it on subconscious even though it's obviously not. :')
There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
I did public speaking last friday and got given a heap of chocolate for it
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
And everything must pass
Yeah presentations are easy points. My favorite was in my Italian class where we had to talk about our Spring Break 100% in Italian. I looked up some phrases on Google Translate 10 minutes before I went, winged the rest and got a 98 ?
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
In the Army Cadets we got forced to do these things called "Solder's fives" which is where, if you're sitting around doing nothing, you force someone to stand up and talk for 5 minutes about a mundane topic, like their hat.

I feel like that helped me a lot.
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
And everything must pass
Quote by ErikLensherr
Yeah presentations are easy points. My favorite was in my Italian class where we had to talk about our Spring Break 100% in Italian. I looked up some phrases on Google Translate 10 minutes before I went, winged the rest and got a 98 ?

Yeah, I pretty much wing all of my presentations. I haven't gotten below a 94 for one yet.
Free Ali
Page 1 of 2