I can’t think of a better place to get help on this than on the Acoustic Guitar Forum. I simply can’t be alone with this problem. Here goes:
When I was in high school, I started out playing electric. (I actually had a ’57 Gibson double cutaway I sold for 150 bucks when I was in college and needed money!) Anyway, by college days, I was only playing acoustic and I almost never used a pick again. Guitar playing has been off and on for the last 45 years, but I have never been able to get back into electrics. In my efforts to do so, I now own three of them and make stabs at plugging in an amp, getting a nice stiff pick and stomping on my three pedals – all in an effort to get turned on. I really do want to get turned on to playing an electric again, but I can’t find the zone. Thirty minutes and I’m ready to toss the pick, pick up an acoustic and relax.
So why do I want to play an electric anyway? You may ask. No, I don’t aspire to start a garage metal band or play boot-scootin’ music in the local dance hall. I want to do that self-indulgent thing most of you who are reading this do – find gratification in mastering another form of guitar music. I think the genres I’m digging into is where I need to go, simple jazz and old rock & roll and blues stuff up the neck. I’m pretty sure that’s where I belong, but I need some sympathetic advice about how to find that zone. Is it lessons? Youtube instructions? More jam tracks and just endure it? See a therapist?
FWIW, on a steel string acoustic I rank myself modestly as a middle-intermediate and can hold my own in a jam. I can play in front of a group and can learn a new piece in a couple of weeks or less. On a classical, not that good, but to an untrained ear I can fake it pretty good. On an electric, I feel like a doofus: poor attack technique, lazy bends, trouble staying on the beat, no clue how to make the pickups and amp do what those of you who are accomplished can do.
I await and welcome your sage advice.
Thanks and good luck!
Might be the amp and/or particular guitar you've tried in the past. A Blues Jr will probably give a tone more desirable than a 6505. Additionally, the body of acoustics seem to be wider than most electrics. Perhaps looking for a larger bodied axe might be something to help feel more comfortable. You might also give the electric a shot without a pick---fingers and picks do offer subtleties.
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587, Agile Septor 727
*mods

Amps/FX
Peavey: Vypyr 30/Max 112 (200W), ISP: Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.

justinguitar.com is the answer
Your history doesn't sound much different to mine - an acoustic player who failed to connect with electrics for about 30 years. In my case it was the amp - I tried all kinds of nice guitars through cheap amps and failed. It wasn't until I got a decent amp (Peavey Classic 30) for acoustic gigging, and a vintage lap steel with a string-through pickup that I finally appreciated the importance of pickups and amps. I think that a seasoned acoustic player has electric expectations that might be different from yer average electric player. - In my case string-to-string balance is of great importance, but it doesn't seem to bother many electric players. I've only got as far as playing slide on electrics, I still don't do fretted styles.

My suggestion, is take a close look at your gear, and think about what might be satisfying in terms of electrics sounds. Some coaching in electric technique might also help.
In keeping with the prior responses, what are you playing on right now?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by nickcarter2610
Thirty minutes and I’m ready to toss the pick, pick up an acoustic and relax.

See a therapist?

It sounds like just being on an electric has you tensed up. You'll never get good at something if it causes you to become tense or uncomfortable. Your willpower is no match for the subconscious dislike you have developed unknowingly. You've likely developed this dislike by things going wrong and not persevering until you get it right and enjoying the sense of accomplishment when it starts to gel.
Last edited by Experimentalist at Sep 8, 2016,
Experimentalist, you might be onto something.

OP...are you a.k.a. The Treeman?

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
nickcarter2610

All story, no specific questions.
Nobody has a manual on all of this, but the forum can certainly help with spot issues.
What about an archtop type of guitar that kind of bridges the acoustic to electric gap. Something like one of these - http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Electrics/Archtop.aspx

Plug something like this into a Peavey Classic 30 or one of the Fender tube amps (others know the Fender models way better than I do) or a used Mesa F-30. You should be able to cover crystal cleans up to Classic Rock or Grunge will that setup.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .