Hey guys. I'm not sure if this has been talked about, but I can't seem to find a straight forward answer for it. I will be getting a cheap Ibanez ARZ800 soon for college and decided I want something for a GOOD project. I have an Ibanez S420 which needs a new bridge, pickups and locking tuners, so I thought 'HEY! I'm gonna use her as a serious project!'.

I've had old strat copies which I had intended to sand and respray (BUT SANDING CLEAR COAT BY HAND TAKES FOREVER!), so I lost interest in these. I was about 16, 17 at the time. I am now 23 and decide that I want to mod a spare guitar. I thought my ibanez s420 would be a good candidate because it has no clearcoat.I think it's satin black), but I got it second hand and its full of dinks and scratches.

I have 2 questions. One: Can I just fill in the dinks and scratches with correct glue/ sanding dust, sand down until it's flat, primer the exposed area and then spray satin black to remove imperfections?

Two: My strap lock screws have pulled themselves out also. I'm planning on filling the holes, what would be the easiest way to make new holes for the screws (probably a stupid question).

I was gonna paint the back of the neck to match the body, but people say that it can slow down your hand mobility so i'm gonna decide against that.

I'm gonna add a black edge tremolo with BKP pups. It's gonna be a metal monster

Thank you for taking the time to read/reply ^.^
Quote by duanemwatson
... I've had old strat copies which I had intended to sand and respray (BUT SANDING CLEAR COAT BY HAND TAKES FOREVER!), so I lost interest in these. I was about 16, 17 at the time. I am now 23 and decide that I want to mod a spare guitar. I thought my ibanez s420 would be a good candidate because it has no clearcoat.I think it's satin black), but I got it second hand and its full of dinks and scratches.

I have 2 questions. One: Can I just fill in the dinks and scratches with correct glue/ sanding dust, sand down until it's flat, primer the exposed area and then spray satin black to remove imperfections?

Two: My strap lock screws have pulled themselves out also. I'm planning on filling the holes, what would be the easiest way to make new holes for the screws (probably a stupid question).

I was gonna paint the back of the neck to match the body, but people say that it can slow down your hand mobility so i'm gonna decide against that.

I'm gonna add a black edge tremolo with BKP pups. It's gonna be a metal monster

Thank you for taking the time to read/reply ^.^

first, it still has a clearcoat. i prefer working with gloss over satin. i don't know why though. satin can be a bitch once you get to the final coats and buffing and wet sanding. although i must add that i have used gloss much more frequently.

for the stripped holes, take some glue and put it on a toothpick and get it in the hole. let that set up, then just go over it with whatever filler you are using.

as far as the not sanding down to bare wood goes, i will be honest, i have done it a time or two. came out OK. if i were to do it again, i would probably just go to wood.

as far as painting the neck goes, i have done it on a bolton before, and i really didn't look the way i wanted to. as far as the neck 'speed' its a personal thing, but you could still paint it and just go satin on the back of the neck. i take the gloss off the back of the neck on most of my guitars, even gibsons and USA fenders.

i can't help you on the bridge thing, i am an RG guy, i never really gelled with the s-series.

good luck! google and youtube are your friends.

you may want to check out ibanezrules (dot com) and jemsite (dot something) for ibanez stuff.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/