Maybe I'm just having a brain fart, but I have no idea how to get the effect from "The Diamond Sea" by Sonic Youth...

In the beginning of the song, there is a guitar that has that tone that makes it sound like "yoyoyoyo"

I couldn't find any answers about it, and I'm not surprised since it's such a small piece in such a massive song.

Thanks!
Try adding more delay.
Yoy yoy was a specific kind of wah variant. Schaller made one, long discontinued.

Then T.Rex brought it back with the Gull...now discontinued, but replaced by the Shafter.

I would not be surprised to find certain auto wah or vocal formant pedals capable of doing yoy yoy, but I don't know of any.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Sep 7, 2016,
A little more thought on other options hinted at above:

Fairfield Circuitry Randy's Revenge into a Pigtronix Envelope Phaser

TWA Little Dipper MKII

Colorsound Dipthonizer

DigiTech RP100

DigiTech Dirty Robot
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Sep 7, 2016,
^this man knows too much about pedals.

I am quite sure flagship Multi-FX units like Zoom's G9.2tt and Boss's GT-100, as well as units like the Kemper and the Axe have settings where it is possible to edit not only the nature of the envelope filter sound, but also it's waveform and the effect of the pedal on it. Have you tried researching what the band used to record the album? If you have, then I'd bet it was an analogue envelope filter of some sort, although the options listed may help you reproduce the sound.
The above post is in terms of 'YMMV' and 'IMO', etc...

Quote by Offworld92
This debate is exhausting to read.
The guitar world is drowned in fairy dust.
We need to start at the very beginning. What is tone.
I bet it was that damn Schaller wah.

Thanks everyone. I guess I'll have to dig a bit deeper into the realm of envelope filters...

Also, when I heard that Shaller wah I had to think, "The freak?" That wah sounds better than like 90% of the ones I've heard.

I had no clue it would actually be called a yoy yoy...

You've all been insanely helpful. Thank you!
Try adding more delay.
Good luck on your pedal-quest!