This might be a stupid question, but im completely new to live playing. My question is how do bands play backing tracks live?

For example:

At the 2:21 mark you hear strings being playing that was recorded in the studio. Nobody is playing strings on stage so it's obviously a backing track. If i wanted to record something on my laptop and wanted to add it to a live performance how would that work?
Last edited by J23L at Sep 7, 2016,
In order to do that effectively you have to have everyone in the band including the drummer playing to a click track at the correct tempo to ensure that the recorded part stays in sync with the live performance. pre-recorded samples are usually triggered by a midi device, often controlled by the drummer.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Quote by Blompcube
In order to do that effectively you have to have everyone in the band including the drummer playing to a click track at the correct tempo to ensure that the recorded part stays in sync with the live performance. pre-recorded samples are usually triggered by a midi device, often controlled by the drummer.

Ok, but how will everyone hear the click track? Is it a device everyone put in their ears or something?
Quote by J23L
Ok, but how will everyone hear the click track? Is it a device everyone put in their ears or something?
The click and backing track/samples are sent to the sound board to separate inputs. The click is kept out of the main loudspeakers but is sent to the in ear monitor mix.
Last edited by Will Lane at Sep 7, 2016,
IN-ear monitoring
Mix is going mono to one ear and the click is mono to another ear usually
My Soundcloud dudes
Recording gear:
Yahama Hs8
Saffire Pro 40
Shure Sm57
Shure Sm7b

Guitar gear :
Ebmm BFR7
Axe fx XL+
Walrus audio Janus
Ibanez Ergodyne
Black Market Custom cab
Quote by Kyleisthename
IN-ear monitoring
Mix is going mono to one ear and the click is mono to another ear usually
I would hate to hard pan like that. It is an option but I don't recommend it...
Last edited by Will Lane at Sep 7, 2016,
Quote by Will Lane
I would hate to hard pan like that. It is an option but I don't recommend it...

Yeah, some people also just have the drummer on the click like that and everyone else is just a stereo mix.
My Soundcloud dudes
Recording gear:
Yahama Hs8
Saffire Pro 40
Shure Sm57
Shure Sm7b

Guitar gear :
Ebmm BFR7
Axe fx XL+
Walrus audio Janus
Ibanez Ergodyne
Black Market Custom cab
I have played in midi assisted bands for more than 20 years. I have used midi in a number of ways but if you have a good drummer who can play to a metronome you can use midi. I find that as long as the drummer can hear the click track the band can follow the drummer who is the only one who really needs a midi click to keep it all in sync. The whole band doesn't need to hear it as long as they pay close attention to the drummer. You find that after some experience doing it, it becomes quite easy. You do give up the freedom of extending a song or changing a tempo etc.but I personally love adding those extra sounds via midi sound modules. Any time you see a band with a drummer who has a laptop computer sitting next to them it isn't for checking email.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Sep 7, 2016,
Quote by Rickholly74
Any time you see a band with a drummer who has a laptop computer sitting next to them it isn't for checking email.
Well shit
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Hell...some bands- who don't use midi- have a guy whose sole job it is to use a computer to trigger the prerecorded stuff.

(He may or may not check emails between songs.)
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I have a sequencer on my Korg Kronos that can play back up to 16 tracks. One of them is usually a click track with an eight-beat intro "beep".
The other 15 tracks have prerecorded bits that may be anything from MIDI changes (for lighting) to prerecorded bits of keyboard, guitar, bass or percussion instruments that will appear in the song at a particular time. With the sequencer setup, I (or someone else) can actually control individual tracks during playback.

If I'm doing the arranging of a particular song, the whole thing (all parts) will usually be on the sequencer and I'll be able to issue both a complete arrangement, an arrangement without each individual instrument and a single track version with that person's bit.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Hell...some bands- who don't use midi- have a guy whose sole job it is to use a computer to trigger the prerecorded stuff.

(He may or may not check emails between songs.)

We had a guy who was tasked with a whole schedule of events. It was usually a disaster, but occasionally he got it all right . One night a particularly hot cutie in a particularly revealing outfit walked up next to him, grabbed his arm, placed her right boob on his left arm, gave him a peck on the cheek, instantly drained ALL of the blood from his brain and he was completely out of it for the remainder of the night. We had to go completely old school.
Oh, there's also this: Sometimes "extra" band members don't actually appear on stage, but are playing under or behind the stage or even behind a curtain that allows them to see the act but not be seen by the audience. They usually try to have me in another building altogether to avoid frightening the kiddies.
Click track derailed by dick track.

His hardware had a software-related failure.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Click track derailed by dick track.

His hardware had a software-related failure.

Ya know, and if you saw her, you'd completely understand and forgive him. I don't think he came up for air for three weeks. I thought we were going to have to slide food under the door. His comment was something like "Best *everything* ever." Nearly crippled him. Rode his Harley better than he did (we were going to get HER a t-shirt that said "if you can read this, the bitch fell off" and him one that said, "I'm her bitch"). It eventually burned out and she's moved on to the corporate world where a fast series of lateral moves (I'm talking business here!) has put her in a VP job at a very good startup in silly cones valley. She's still a fire hazard anytime she enters a room. Think Megan Fox looking over your engine (*cough*) in Transformers. But hotter.
Last edited by dspellman at Sep 8, 2016,
Musicians
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Understand?

I'd probably have spontaneously combusted, were I him.