Page 1 of 3
So I am asking you guys. Since our forum is dead. It is and isn't. We do have a few guys who post weekly and a relatively steady number of people per week.

What makes you guys post and how can I help?

I have a few ideas, but want to appeal to those who are still around. If any outsiders who lurk but rarely post want to chime in, feel free.
Sometimes Kristen posts something interesting and I respond obnoxiously or in earnest depending on the topic

I can't say many of the threads tickle my giblets much. Aforementioned Theo's pessimism thread was genuinely interesting but where music itself is concerned it very rarely goes to places that surprise or excite me. that doesn't mean there needs to be threads about Bull Of Heaven just something a bit different to the usual stuff

It'd be nice to look at how communities work, the usual sociological shite.

*goes back to lurking*
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
What music, at least relating to metal, are you interested in?

As for the thought threads, things can be asked whenever. I wish people would ask for questions about things relating to metal. I have noticed that more people come out to post about those sorts of things over band threads.
Dissonant and droney shit. Not most people's taste but even something a bit more out there would pique my interest.

I don't tend to start threads here bc I'm an outsider and as expected people simply don't engage with 'weird shit' very often.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Public execution of the false.

But really, I think the metal forum primers thing might help. I know I coulda used something like that way back. I dunno what you can really do about it. I imagine most people who are lurking are comfortable where they are and will stay that way no matter what you do.
Quote by Ironic Maiden

I delete their threads and then move their username to the Forum of the False where I interrogate them harshly.

Hm, not so much about getting people into metal, but more-so to get people posting more. I can see some correlation though for sure. I know there are enough lurkers that come out when they feel something they like is posted, but posting that stuff is unknown to me because I have no earthly idea what people outside this forum enjoy. All the while, we try to retain the forum's key values.

So ultimately I'll just end up posting more music and try to get people to listen to some music.

Quote by Banjocal
Dissonant and droney shit. Not most people's taste but even something a bit more out there would pique my interest.

I don't tend to start threads here bc I'm an outsider and as expected people simply don't engage with 'weird shit' very often.

VG posted this album not too long ago:

https://recitations.bandcamp.com/album/the-first-of-the-listeners

Might be something you're interested in, but that's aside from the point. There are quite a few folks in this forum who love weird shit, but I can understand you yourself not wanting to post (as an outsider) because of our community here. Well, I can't do much to convince you to post more here, but I can tell you that metal is appreciated here. Weird stuff can definitely apply, try out Urfaust

I understand your points, thanks for posting. I'm trying to get more people to post here and enjoy the chit chat of our forum, and listen to some killer metal while they do it so gauging outsider's interests is integral.
Well, see, my thinking is like this:

I lurk some Electronic Music forums from time to time, but I rarely if ever post, mostly because I feel so out of the loop I don't even bother trying to participate in any discussion. I feel that for me it's easier to participate when I feel like I'm on roughly the same level as everyone else. No, maybe you don't have to have ever heard an Urfaust record yet to participate in the discussions of this forum, but you will probably feel in over your head if you've only really listened to Iron Maiden and Judas Priest or some shit.

I'm really bad with coming up with good discussion threads, so I don't really know what to do there, but I'm always appreciative of good discussion threads like that recent one about Destruction, Sodom and Kreator, and I think those could maybe bring out some activity. But then again, those threads really only see replies from the regs, so maybe not.
Just post shit that comes to mind. No damn secret to being a regulr here, or the next VG, or what ever. We don't give a fuck. Just post your shit. Someone doesn't like what you post? Who cares. Keep on postin. It's the internet for fucks sake.

Just chew the fat of sex, drinks and Metal with a little fuck of death thrown in for spice. This ain't no secret club. Bring some chips and beer.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,
I’m not ashamed to be white
Vi doede ikke... vi har aldri levd
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind
Civilization is unnatural

It is a whim of circumstance
an unenlightened one
Yeah pretty much what VG said. I like that attitude of posting. It's essentially how I got into Lamp of Thoth and likeminded less-serious metal, enjoy the metal.

LOVE THE LAMP

--------------------------------

Ironic, I'm not inherently looking for most posters, just more posts. I like the volume of regs, and I feel like more people are inclined to post if they see a lot of other people posting. Eventually lurkers will stop lurking when they the general vibe of the environment, that being said...

Your first paragraph is interesting. I didn't think of it that way. Primers are important enough, and I want to put them in the rec thread, but I don't want the rec thread being called the rec thread anymore if that's the case, so you have given me an idea or two.

and if regs post more often, I'm not against that either. Sounds fine by me
Quote by VampireGoldfish
Just post shit that comes to mind. No damn secret to being a regulr here, or the next VG, or what ever. We don't give a fuck. Just post your shit. Someone doesn't like what you post? Who cares. Keep on postin. It's the internet for fucks sake.
Can't argue with that
This is not exactly the most inviting forum on UG. If anyone posts anything remotely mainstream, for example (and I'm not saying I'm into most mainstream metal, but I dabble), they get chewed to pieces in here. It's okay not to post your opinion in a thread if you don't have anything constructive to say, is what I'm getting at. Carry on...
Quote by Ironic Maiden

Unfortunately encouraging false would draw in more traffic. Unfortunately that's not the traffic we want. Unfortunate.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by KailM
If anyone posts anything remotely mainstream, for example [...] they get chewed to pieces in here..

I don't agree. People only get chewed to pieces for posting things that don't belong here like Slipknot or whatever. If someone wants to post about how great Black Sabbath or Iron Maiden is, there really is no problem. Also "remotely mainstream" is problematic. What does that even mean? Like in general or relative to metal or what? Suffocation remotely mainstream by metal standards (ie not super underground) and they are well respected.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
I agree with both Kail and Kristen, to varying degrees. I agree that some of the regs including myself were needlessly hostile to new users, but I'm not going to deny that new users don't get out of line. I think Kristen was right; we don't inherently rip people to shreds for the odd mainstream thread. There are quite a few times people take it personally when we say the band they enjoy aren't good, but the idea of being constructive extends to where exactly? It doesn't always have to be positive if that's what you're inferring. I think Kail is right in that we do get needlessly hostile. That I can easily agree to as it's been shown many times.

This is being helped by more active moderation. I'm aware of this issue and can post more about it if you'd like, as I can clearly define my thoughts on insults/mockery and warnings/bans pertaining to that.
Quote by theogonia777
I don't agree. People only get chewed to pieces for posting things that don't belong here like Slipknot or whatever. If someone wants to post about how great Black Sabbath or Iron Maiden is, there really is no problem. Also "remotely mainstream" is problematic. What does that even mean? Like in general or relative to metal or what? Suffocation remotely mainstream by metal standards (ie not super underground) and they are well respected.

See, what I'm getting at is -- to quote your example -- where else would someone go on UG to discuss Slipknot? I mean, I don't want to read about Slipknot or suffer listening to any of their music, but if people want to discuss them here, why not? I just won't participate.

What I've seen is people wanting to talk about a certain band, and their personal taste in music is called into question. Instead of blasting someone, educate them. Or just don't participate in their thread.
I think flinging shit for no reason is retarded, even if we've all probably done it at some point in time. Plenty of people come in here begging to get shit on, but most just stick to their threads about Slipknot or whatever. I think it's better to just ignore it and post in threads with discussion about music you do like.

I'm happy to discuss "mainstream" bands I like. Their popularity means nothing to me, and shouldn't matter to anyone else. I've never seen anybody here shit on a band for being mainstream. I'm pretty sure we all at the very least like Iron Maiden here, and I don't see how you wouldn't call them mainstream.
Quote by KailM
See, what I'm getting at is -- to quote your example -- where else would someone go on UG to discuss Slipknot? I mean, I don't want to read about Slipknot or suffer listening to any of their music, but if people want to discuss them here, why not? I just won't participate.

What I've seen is people wanting to talk about a certain band, and their personal taste in music is called into question. Instead of blasting someone, educate them. Or just don't participate in their thread.
I get you. I think some people would prefer Slipknot be discussed in the modern rock section than here, but I can't see why most people really care. If the forum became saturated with those threads I might give a shit and even retreat to an even more niche forum in some dark corner of nowhere. But as it is, most of the threads I see here are about music I like, so the occasional Slipknot thread slipping in doesn't bother me.
Going to try to be more active again. The last couple years my life has been in quite a bit of flux and I've mostly been a silent observer with very little to contribute, if I'm here at all. I'm probably listening to metal these days more than ever though, so at the very least I'll try to post in What Are You Listening To more often.
last.fm
"the waves have now a redder glow..."
Here is an example of what I believe Kailm is getting at

OP: Hey guys, I heard of this really cool tech death band last night? *sprinkle some slightly obnoxious and irritating lines about brutality and sweeping*

Post 1:Yeah man, this shit is my jams.

Post 2: This is gay.

Post 3: Sacramentum's FAFTS is obviously superior to Dissection's The Somberlain (I'm with MH on this one, but yeah).

Post 4: *Lust album cover*

Post 5: This isn't even music. It's a wanking session warm-up. Etc.

Now, what should probably happen instead.

Post 6:This isn't my type of music. I find the guitar lines to be needlessly busy, and I don't get a sense of unity or cohesion from the overarching progressions. However, if you like this type of you music you should also check out...*post tru metal and call it a day*

*I'm actually okay with this song because I'm a guitar nerd, and I saw these guys at a local bar with like fifteen other people. Nice dudes, and they played clips from Starship Troopers.

Find common ground between other users, so we can all discuss bands we enjoy instead of shitting on bands and going to circlejerk sessions (TONIGHT THE CIRCLE IS MEETING AGAINYANNNN!!!). Hell, just do what VG said. It is THE DAMN Internet. I also like the primer idea though.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
Last edited by The Virtuoso at Sep 8, 2016,
^^^You nailed it. Especially your "post 6." It explains your point of view without attacking the taste of the original threadstarter. If he/she can't deal with something like that, well THEN perhaps it would be acceptable to declare open-season on him or her.
I've been a lurker for quite a few months, I don't see too much internal problems with the forum, people come and go, and all things must pass... I personally like the community aspect of this website.
"He's A Nigerian Prince And He Wants Your Money"
I can see from that example you guys made (I've also moved a few threads already with the same situation already) , and I have seen some similar things to it. Again, I'm not disagreeing.

At the same time, when something like this comes up:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1706994

I don't want people to be silent either. I want people to go out and argue with one another. That thread had sarcasm for sure, but I don't think it crossed a line nor am I going to stop it. Not until flaming or the thread just descends into shit (which they inevitably do). However, I understand that simply ignoring a band thread on the topic is a better outcome. We had this issue with the deathcore thread, but at the end of the day, we're a fairly popular website catering to many different crowds of people into varying degrees of metal.

Quote by SirEngelbert
I've been a lurker for quite a few months, I don't see too much internal problems with the forum, people come and go, and all things must pass... I personally like the community aspect of this website.

So what you're telling me is that this thread brought you out of lurking? Inception.

joking aside, what aspects of the community do you enjoy? Quality of band releases? General banter? The way we turned the off-topic thread into a small video game thread?
severed-metal The witty banter and casual cyber abuse, it's good! I prefer smaller-sized communities over massive metropolitan guilds. Plus, I've always enjoyed a good conversation and or moan/rant
"He's A Nigerian Prince And He Wants Your Money"
I'll reference something VG said a little while ago. I mostly just want to kick back and shoot the shit about good music. Although I do enjoy contributing to our community projects as well. I enjoy our circle jerks (sorry Virtuoso). I've fallen into the nasty habit of mostly just posting youtube videos and eschewing most actual discussion. This is because of a combination of factors: It's brainless, it's quick, and sometimes it's hard to figure out something interesting to write about 'awesome power metal band #1094' or whatever. I realize that this can be collectively damaging to community discussion. This stems from an exhaustion from school. I don't have much desire to write lengthy, creative prose on an album or do an armchair analysis of the social constructs of the metal community. These are the kinds of threads that attract posts. But ironically I often come here looking for refuge from 'thinking' to indulge in the primitive, mind-numbing excess of metal.

On the treatment of new users. I know this particular subforum has a stigma regarding treatment of new members. A lot of new users post here with the (unnecessary) goal of having their views or tastes in already well-established mainstream bands, or in other words often sub high school levels of genre knowledge, justified or reinforced by the rest of us. When it isn't, they get insulted. Could just be they are literally junior high kids and I don't doubt this. We could be nicer in these circumstances and having severed as an active mod now will help with that (by closing those threads before they get out of hand ). I think one thing to take note of is that we have largely had to self moderate for the past couple of years and I honestly think we haven't done such a bad job. All of the recent threads probably on peoples' minds would have been locked by Strangles or duncan almost immediately. There's a weeding out process that is typically done through closures, warnings, and eventual bans and we haven't had access to that in a while.

We have no reason to put up with a lot of bullshit we've seen honestly. We haven't been too mean (in general). A lot of hurt and and anguish could have been avoided by following the rules i.e. posting in the bands' established threads or posting in the proper subforum. We haven't had any rules because we haven't had any mods.
Who are you? The prince of darkness? Don't you have any friends?

Regulars here recognize me, know that I don't post frequently. I can honestly tell you... there really isn't much you're going to be able to do to generate more consistent repeat visitors, basically because why Kyto just posted. Newbies post some shit about their favorite band, which is usually like 2nd Step in Metal type shit & the regulars scare 'em away, or they're just lost amidst the sea of ultra-underground stuff a lot of you like.

Basically, UG Metal Forum is a clubhouse for a few select users with a certain level of experience, and acceptance into the club is about as likely as a guy who bought a brand new Honda CB250 joining the Hell's Angels. It's probably not gonna happen. Pretty sure this topic has been discussed before & it's just beating a dead horse. That's my two cents.
Don't worry guitgrinder, one of these days somebody is going to walk down to a server basement somewhere and flip off the power and this will all go away.
Who are you? The prince of darkness? Don't you have any friends?

Quote by guitgrinder
Regulars here recognize me, know that I don't post frequently. I can honestly tell you... there really isn't much you're going to be able to do to generate more consistent repeat visitors, basically because why Kyto just posted. Newbies post some shit about their favorite band, which is usually like 2nd Step in Metal type shit & the regulars scare 'em away, or they're just lost amidst the sea of ultra-underground stuff a lot of you like.

Basically, UG Metal Forum is a clubhouse for a few select users with a certain level of experience, and acceptance into the club is about as likely as a guy who bought a brand new Honda CB250 joining the Hell's Angels. It's probably not gonna happen. Pretty sure this topic has been discussed before & it's just beating a dead horse. That's my two cents.

What Kyto posted and what you posted are wildly different. There's a level of acceptance and maturity with his post, as well as solutions to established sentiments within this thread. Big difference. He's helping the regulars understand better. I've asked outside this forum, and I've asked within this forum where problems exist. I don't feel like you bring anything that extends beyond or doesn't cover what's already been said.

This thread hasn't been done before, you've said those exact things before many times. The forum isn't a clubhouse, and as it stands there isn't any too much in the way of restriction for posting. Start a thread if you want. Start a Metallica thread, or a Megadeth thread. I don't really care what you do so long as it's metal and you want to talk about it.

Outside of that, the users here have grown up significantly from years ago. Viewpoints change, as do people. You have yet to, you know? You've held that same viewpoint for years and it stems from me or someone else telling you to stop being a bitch, and I'm sure that was wrong of me or that someone to do at that time and it's those sorts of things we're trying to avoid.
If you guys want this place to end up like the Hardcore forum, then you will keep berating people for their like of "not real metal bands" like Slipknot.

I am going to ask one simple question: What other sub-forum on this website would Slipknot fall into if not the metal forum? Regardless of your feelings on the band they would go here. This is true for just about all the popular "metal" bands out there that I have seen you guys shoot down. Have you ever considered that the reason a 12 year old gets into metal is because they were listening to... oh I don't know... Limp Bizkit which got them Korn then into Metallica and that opened the door to In Flames which further led to Soilwork and the flood gates of Melodic Death metal opened?

Basically by creating a hostile environment for anyone who lists a "metal" band that is only pseudo metal instead of taking the opportunity to educate and encourage them to expand their listening, you are basically denying another person into the forum who could otherwise become a contributing member with expanded music tastes. Yeah, I try to be inclusive and in the hardcore forum, but my efforts were to late and now the place is a ghost town. I went to reply to something today and realized I missed the post by almost 2 months, because I don't check that place anymore. The metal forum is well on its way to that point if it doesn't get a little more friendly in here.

Just a lurkers point of view.
I might actually post more/at all if I didn't feel like I was intruding on a circle jerking of elitists.
“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote by lolmnt
PC police strike again

If you have a computer related question, ask here!

Official Mayor of the Computer Thread
The bottom line is this, if you want more users you need to appeal to the masses. We are the regulars here which means we all can agree on the same things for the most part. However, newcomers are extremely jaded as to what they like to listen to or talk about. I quite honestly don't care that noone comes in here anymore. The only issue I have is that the regulars are also lurking and not giving a shit about the content or participating in some activity. If people see that there is actually something going on then they will ignore the differences in tastes (however minor) and just enjoy doing something together and maybe discovering something new in the process. I really miss when we had to put together albums and put up some review of each album and most of the time it was music I've never heard before.

Quote by Stranglehold
He swallowed black nail polish and shat the word 'motherfucker' onto a non-metal kid. Rad.

Quote by severed-metal
You can dress a woman slutty, but she's not a slut. Understand?

living inside a drop only to die in an ocean
DamienEx1021:

To answer your question, Slipknot, Limp Bizkit, and Korn all fit into a Rock forum, not a Metal forum. In my opinion, the only acceptable way for those bands to exist in this forum is under a single umbrella thread titled something like:

Discuss nu-metal / alternative metal here (Slipknot, System of a Down, Korn, etc.)

I agree with you that the wanton rudeness and hostility of some forum members toward ignorant people and "outsiders" is a deplorable habit, and that cliquey behavior diverts potential newcomers. However, I do not think that inclusion is the key to survival. In people as in music, I prefer quality to quantity; I oppose lowering standards to attract people. The folks who "belong" are those who find places like this and persevere in their contributions without concessions or enticement from regular attendants. Besides, this is not a desperate situation; if the forum dies, life will continue.
Last edited by P1ayingW1thF1re at Sep 9, 2016,
Quote by P1ayingW1thF1re
DamienEx1021:

To answer your question, Slipknot, Limp Bizkit, and Korn all fit into a Rock forum, not a Metal forum. In my opinion, the only acceptable way for those bands to exist in this forum is under a single umbrella thread titled something like:

Discuss nu-metal / alternative metal here (Slipknot, System of a Down, Korn, etc.)

I agree with you that the wanton rudeness and hostility of some forum members toward ignorant people and "outsiders" is a deplorable habit, and that cliquey behavior diverts potential newcomers. However, I do not think that inclusion is the key to survival. In people as in music, I prefer quality to quantity; I oppose lowering standards to attract people. The folks who "belong" are those who find places like this and persevere in their contributions without concessions or enticement from regular attendants. Besides, this is not a desperate situation; if the forum dies, life will continue.

You'll never get a quality member without taking someone who is a little rough around the edges and rounding them out a little. I am not saying accept everyone who comes in here claiming Slipknot is the greatest thing ever, but for the guy who says "Hey I really like Slipknot and want to listen to more metal things, can anyone suggest me anything," the time should be taken to politely educate and encourage the musical development of someone.

And if you think Slipknot, Korn, and System of a Down have more rock elements then they do metal elements, that is the type of elitist attitude I am talking about. I didn't think you were being a dick about it, but it is that type of off putting statement that pushes people away. Musically, they are nu-metal as you said, but fall much further from rock then they do metal. The fact that nu-metal get ostracized so much if this forum will push potential good members away. While yes it is more popular and accessible by people and not as raw or pure as other metal styles, it still has a small right in this forum if only as the introductory bands to delve deeper into the genre as a whole. I would agree that an umbrella thread would be the best option as to not have 100 Slipknot threads, but the fact needs to be faced, there are parts of your genre that you don't like being on the family tree, but that doesn't change the fact that they are there (just like that weird uncle you have!)
“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote by lolmnt
PC police strike again

Quote by DamienEx1021
And if you think Slipknot, Korn, and System of a Down have more rock elements then they do metal elements, that is the type of elitist attitude I am talking about. I didn't think you were being a dick about it, but it is that type of off putting statement that pushes people away. Musically, they are nu-metal as you said, but fall much further from rock then they do metal.

Musically, no. They are closer to rock and suggesting otherwise shows a lack of fundamental understanding of what makes metal metal. That's not elitism at all to accurately place bands in the proper genres.
FYI, I edit my posts after I submit them, so check for changes to the parts, if any, to which you respond.

Quote by DamienEx1021
You'll never get a quality member without taking someone who is a little rough around the edges and rounding them out a little. I am not saying accept everyone who comes in here claiming Slipknot is the greatest thing ever, but for the guy who says "Hey I really like Slipknot and want to listen to more metal things, can anyone suggest me anything," the time should be taken to politely educate and encourage the musical development of someone.

I agree, but doing this tactfully is a little bit tricky.

And if you think Slipknot, Korn, and System of a Down have more rock elements then they do metal elements, that is the type of elitist attitude I am talking about. I didn't think you were being a dick about it, but it is that type of off putting statement that pushes people away. Musically, they are nu-metal as you said, but fall much further from rock then they do metal.

I disagree.

One way to settle controversial genre classifications like this and inform forum viewers of the predominant views here would be to post some well-written essays on the topic in a stickied thread. (Though that would require some effort, of course.) A dedicated thread for open discussion is another option, but moderation (or a clear code of conduct) would be required to ensure that interactions are civil.

By the way, I do not think that elitism is a bad thing. To me, elitism means having and enforcing standards, and that is desirable because it prevents adulteration and establishes a quality filter. It's true that this forum is probably not the place to praise any band under the sun without fear of disapproval; I like it that way, and as you expressed, civilized discussion can still take place in cases of dissension.

While yes [nu-metal] is more popular and accessible by people and not as raw or pure as other metal styles, it still has a small right in this forum if only as the introductory bands to delve deeper into the genre as a whole. I would agree that an umbrella thread would be the best option as to not have 100 Slipknot threads,

I am glad that you agree.

but the fact needs to be faced, there are parts of your genre that you don't like being on the family tree, but that doesn't change the fact that they are there (just like that weird uncle you have!)

My main concern is misunderstandings. As I already stated, I think that nu-metal is not actually metal. People mistaking System of a Down for death metal, for example, is a problem because that association misrepresents the essence and even the definition of death metal. I want people to understand what it is they are listening to, regardless of the quality of the music.
theogonia777

This:

Sounds less like this:

And this:

And more like this:

And this:

They are Nu-metal bands, not Nu-rock.

Let me guess, you also think that "Metalcore" belongs in the hardcore forum and not here? Or did you forget that what gets called metalcore is basically watered down melodic death metal with non-existent core elements. We accept metalcore in the hardcore forum because we knew this forum was far to full of elitist attitudes and would just out right flame anyone who started an "Asking Alexandria" in here.

In my opinion, it is because of attitudes like yours which drive people away. Yes, SOAD, Korn and Slipknot are not true metal, but they categorically fit better here than anywhere else on this forum and that is all there is to it.

Quote by lolmnt
PC police strike again

Oh boy this is an interesting discussion can somebody shoot me in the fucking head
Quote by EndTheRapture51
DamienEx1021:

I don't mean to brush aside your post, but I fear that we have digressed from the purpose of this thread. Metalcore is another can of worms that I would rather not open at the moment.

Quote by Banjocal
Oh boy this is an interesting discussion can somebody shoot me in the fucking head

Nobody made you read the discussion. Concerning the health of forums, lurking is preferable to making posts like this latest of yours.
Quote by P1ayingW1thF1re
One way to settle controversial genre classifications like this and inform forum viewers of the predominant views here would be to post some well-written essays on the topic in a stickied thread. (Though that would require some effort, of course.) A dedicated thread for open discussion is another option, but moderation (or a clear code of conduct) would be required to ensure that interactions are civilized.

I'm working on a ruleset and general attitude thread. A lot of the times people get frustrated and act like dickheads, but I don't think it's always a bad thing. Sarcasm vs direct insults is an important distinction. Both alleviate stress but there's a level of disrespect for the person on the other side I don't want to stay after the argument is done. I want people to at least respect people enough not to call them idiots and I'll deal with it on a case-by-case basis.

We've never really had anything of a similar nature in this forum, so I'm waiting on a general ruleset first (from the main site forum rules) and then elaborating on my position/take for new members. Alongside the new rec thread, which I'll be calling something different and having a separate rec thread. I'd like a starting points thread, close and sticky it. Like a FAQ.

I'm fairly active so I see mostly everything and can intervene if necessary.

As for talking about Metallica, Slipknot, whatever popular bands...I don't care if people talk about them in here. Eventually mutual respect will be had, and discussions can take place on the nature of genres. I didn't start with Burzum, I started with Slipknot or some other bands. Alternatively, if co-existing can work then that's fine too. I don't want people shitting on other people just for what they listen to. We have a larger base of people so we have to accommodate best we can.

HOWEVER! The times I see nu-metal being posted about are so far and few between I really don't care enough about it to give it a lot of attention in the first place. Nu-metal has never been big in this forum, I mean maybe at one point. I think there was a nu-metal forum, but it died quickly and hence why it's merged in here.

but again, I don't really care anyways. I'd rather have Slipknot in here with the hopes we can get some new users listening to real death metal. People get curious or bored with what they're listening to.

Anyways, I'll think on the open discussion thread. I'd likely want something of that nature bi-weekly, something a bit more thought provoking.
I will always hold fast that Far Away From the Sun is the superior record, regardless of whatever tropes I am playing into
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
Quote by progbass
I will always hold fast that Far Away From the Sun is the superior record, regardless of whatever tropes I am playing into

You are allowed to think this

I accept your viewpoints and Slipknot. As if they were one.

>.>
Page 1 of 3