Poll: Does the Pit need newfriends?
Poll Options
View poll results: Does the Pit need newfriends?
Yes
22 63%
No
9 26%
Other (state your case)
4 11%
Voters: 35.
Page 1 of 9
You guys are dicks to newcomers, and it looks like it's taken it's toll. This has led us to a need for a more acceptable environment, and to pray for an influx in talented posters.

How can we get our numbers up, Pit? This place is a snoozefest as of late. The threads are starting to blow
Quote by Fat Lard
You guys are dicks to newcomers
Not really. That's just all we tend to see because it's the easiest to spot. Most newcomers are reserved and find their place in conversation without making a front. They also usually leave forever anyways.

That's all just my impression though. Besides that, I know there's a few here who think a small community makes it better.
Quote by snipelfritz
You lost me at "Lubricate."

I'm raw, like nature. Nature boy. Big jungle leaves are my cum rags.

Sometimes I fuck a bamboo shoot.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Last edited by Joshua Garcia at Sep 7, 2016,
Kind of. I mean its a bit tough but if you roll with the punches I feel like its not as bad.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy

Quote by ErikLensherr

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Last edited by zgr0826 at Sep 7, 2016,
Quote by Joshua Garcia
Not really. That's just all you tend to see because it's the easiest to spot. Most newcomers are reserved and find their place in conversation without making a front. They also usually leave forever anyways.

That's all just my impression though. Besides that, I know there's a few here who think a small community makes it better.

I really can't agree with that. Rudeposters definitely outweigh things here at least 20:1, which is why we have such high turnover rates
idk i think part of it is we've gone through the 'getting to know you' stages with each other. so we've had the random stupid small talk (pit circa 2010 or whatever) then the intense issues era (feminism, gun control, etc), full on lynching era, and now we're at the point where the nature of our relationship is 'banter' (which means everything from witty comments to downright dickhead bile) and for people who haven't gone through the first stages it is abrasive cause they don't understand the social cues.

we are pretty mean to each other though, and to new people. we should just be more nice you know. and less stale. like i gotta be honest, when i'm bored of my own threads, that means we've done it all over the same time. like we've post'd post-post-irony to the point of making it a metaphorical human centipede part 3.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
#buildthatwall
#trump2016

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
ive been saying this for years

Usually it's some kid that comes in with "what's your favorite guitar solo?" or "Best Led Zep songs" and all the replies r "lol who even plays guitar?" "what you really need is a new amp" etc and they think, "well this place sucks. bye"

But also forums in general are kinda dying. They''re pretty antiquated at this point
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by Fat Lard
How can we get our numbers up, Pit?

1. Kill the circlejerk. You know what makes newcomers feel unwelcome? A community that seems like it's maybe a dozen or so long time regulars, and everyone else is treated as just kinda there. Nobody wants to be in a community where they know they're never going to be "one of the cool kids." This goes double for all of the "the ONLY X thread/Official Y thread" groups. There are a few that are friendly, but a lot of them are very thorny.

2. Stop giving stupid threads attention. I'm not talking about joke threads, I'm talking about the threads that are basically clickbait. "Are you/do you X?" Threads, "*celebrity here* does X, Internet freaks out/roasts X/etc." threads, threads about virtually nonexistent wannabe sociopolitical movements and fringe agendas who basically nobody agrees with but have eye grabbing quotes, if you've been here any length of time, you know which threads I'm talking about. If I wanted discussions about celebrity gossip, irrelevant fringe politics, and uninformed opinions, I'll go to facebook.

3. Tolerate people you disagree with. Nobody wants to have a conversation where they're at risk of heaps of mocking from being wrong. There's a difference between stupid people who believe something you disagree with, and reasonable, intelligent people who just happen to have a different perspective than you. Folks here are very poor at distinguishing the two, and very apt to join in ganging up on someone who goes against the popular opinion.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
A majority of the users on the pit just need a lay, to put their teenage angst at ease for a while.
I think I might be the only Pit regular from 2014. And it's not like there have been many that have registered and stuck around.
Free Ali
i'm just here so i won't get fined

For real though, we do need to be nicer so the few new people who do sign up actually stick around. We need to dial back the sarcasm and banter as a whole, but especially with new people. We also really should stop with the "Good Old Boys Club" attitude where it's a dozen or so old timers that dominate discussions and have everything revolve around them with a figurative (I hope) circlejerk.

Quote by ErikLensherr

Quote by Fat Lard
I really can't agree with that. Rudeposters definitely outweigh things here at least 20:1, which is why we have such high turnover rates
I'm not denying the existence of "rudeposters", but that newcomer activity isn't very common, and that people being rude to them is easier to notice.

For me, hurricane0202 and robbmgdt come to mind when I say they've been met with positivity and still ended up leaving forever. Most probably don't even know who they are, which is exactly my point.There's others, but I can't remember their names and cba to look them up.
Quote by snipelfritz

Quote by Fat Lard
You guys are dicks to newcomers, and it looks like it's taken it's toll.

I think your shitposting style of inaccessible meme format is more off-putting than my attitude.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Last edited by JustRooster at Sep 7, 2016,
I think we mostly just need to be nice to each other

Quote by ErikLensherr

everybody kind of sucks
Quote by DonGlover

You look like a young Eugene Levy, but with a moustache.

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by Dreadnought
Kicking a man when he's down, I'm proud of you

When they're down is the safest time.

Soundcloud
Sharks Stanley Cup 15-16
Sharks Stanley Cup 16-17,,,,?
Quote by JustRooster
I think your shitposting style of inaccessible meme format

For you.

Shut up and make some threads
We could probably reduce new user attrition by 100% if we would ban the practice of starting posts with a smug "lol"
Last edited by Rossenrot at Sep 8, 2016,
I can remember using two different forums that both went to shit.

They were at the peak of their life when I joined and was active and I witnessed them crumble.

One was a game forum that relied on the success of a game dev and the draw to the forum fizzled out as the devs released games that weren't quite as successful as the game that brought everyone together.

The other one was a very general forum and it reminded me of here sometimes. I think one of the biggest problems was that the old school regulars who had made the place their home were experienced and mature, very cynical and they wouldnt mix well with the new users who tended to be a few years younger who were generally annoying illiterate brats. So the regulars made it unwelcoming for newcomers, and the regulars kept getting on with their lives where they found less time or reason to visit the forum because activity got progressively less and less. It's sort of like a positive feedback loop, or in this case a negative feedback loop.

If it can happen to a once thriving forum which attracted a more general user then I can definitely see UG struggle in the near future since it has a more niche attracting starting point, even though in the pit guitar is barely even a thing.
Dance in the moonlight my old friend twilight

Quote by metal4eva_22
What's this about ****ing corpses? My UG senses were tingling.
Last edited by Nero Galon at Sep 8, 2016,
Quote by Rossenrot
We could probably reduce new user attrition by 100% if we would ban the practice of starting posts with a smug "lol"

kys

Quote by Nero Galon
I can remember using two different forums that both went to shit.

They were at the peak of their life when I joined and was active and I witnessed them crumble.

So you're saying it's your fault?
My old signature was too long. Have a daisy.

Quote by RAB11
So you're saying it's your fault?

too many normal-midIQ-types
Last edited by Fat Lard at Sep 8, 2016,
Quote by Rossenrot

lol no
I refuse to be part of an organisation that would have me as a member

*tips fedora*
My old signature was too long. Have a daisy.

No. New users are fine and we seldom give them real shit. We did a few years ago but now nobody cares.

We're moving towards the late stage of a forum's life except we have a tab service to keep newcomers interested. Email confirmation and warning systems are generally fine.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Quote by The_Blode
Every new user is ostracised i'm an example of it
Quoted before deleting

And don't take this the wrong way (because that's all you've been doing with my posts lately), but you're a real bad example.
Quote by snipelfritz

Well more recently you've moved on to being eaten alive by sweaty vaginas and wanking into bins.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Quote by StewieSwan
ive been saying this for years

Usually it's some kid that comes in with "what's your favorite guitar solo?" or "Best Led Zep songs" and all the replies r "lol who even plays guitar?" "what you really need is a new amp" etc and they think, "well this place sucks. bye"

But also forums in general are kinda dying. They''re pretty antiquated at this point

wrong place to ask guitar solo, either way its such a broad question

wrong person to ask about led zep, they're lame and most of us here don't like em

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Quote by The_Blode
I haven't spoken about Jim on here in like forever why would you bring Jim into this
Didn't you just post some guy's guitar cover of some Sliptknot song like a week ago?

I mean, I guess it's not Jim being mentioned specifically fwiw.

Edit:

Quote by The_Blode
You don't get eaten you get crushed by the pressure of the walls
O what fresh hell is this?
Quote by snipelfritz

Last edited by Joshua Garcia at Sep 8, 2016,
Quote by The_Blode
You don't get eaten you get crushed by the pressure of the walls
not helping yourself pal
Quote by EndTheRapture51
I think the problem is that I came into this thread expecting it to be a joke, and I'm still not sure if it was meant to be a joke based on the memes being posted.

We're balancing on a knife's edge of intentional irony and sincerity, and if you're on the wrong side prepare to get cut. It's not so bad in the chat thread, or some of the other 'official ' threads, but in the 'transient' threads (for lack of a better term) half the people are taking the piss, often the threads are created entirely to take the piss, they're just piss soaked canvases tbh, and these are the threads new people look at.

Quote by necrosis1193
This goes double for all of the "the ONLY X thread/Official Y thread" groups. There are a few that are friendly, but a lot of them are very thorny.

I actually think these threads are the best for newcomers. Generally people are respectful of other opinions and there isn't a lot of personal attacks or anything. The worst by far are those intentionally inflammatory threads, or anything political, where it's dominated by like two or three people going at each other.
Quote by Mr E Meat
this is your brain

this is your brain on RT

Quote by Standard_A440
Given that you reside in the shade of the natural light of reason, I will defer doing your homework to you.
The uninitiated only needs to take one look at a #LardPost to close the browser tab on this godforsaken place forever.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by The_Blode
Absolutely no mention of Jim whatsoever
I know. That's why I said "I mean, I guess it's not Jim being mentioned specifically fwiw"
You can quote me on that.

Though the obsession is still obvious.
Personally, I've got nothing against it, but it's clear it does bother some.

Tell the people who sent you I'm not falling for it
Ok you got me. My real name is John Maxwell and I was sent from the future from the FBI in the year 2425 to assassinate Robo-Hitler who will commit mass space vampire genocide with his league of zombie dinosaurs.

Who the living fak do you think I am?
Quote by snipelfritz

Last edited by Joshua Garcia at Sep 8, 2016,