lately (last ~6 months) i've been hanging around this new group of friends. they're an established group that's sort of accepted me into their ranks cause i'm a friend of a friend and i guess they like me. one of my best friend's girlfriend is part of this group.

but i'm not sure i like them all that much anymore, including her.

i've realized that i don't actually have that much in common with most of them. i thought i did, but it turns out they've all been enthusiastically humoring me as i spoke cause they think the way i talk is funny. not my voice, but the "passion" i have, and the words i use, or something. they think my entire character is hilarious. i give simple answers to simple questions and they all laugh as a group cause they think i'm making a joke or something. they pressure me into telling mundane stories because they think i make those mundane happenings sound interesting and funny or w/e. one of them told me that it feels like i'm reading a script off a teleprompter when i speak, like i'm a character from a tv show.

these are all supposed to be compliments, but i've never felt more alienated than i do with these people. when i speak amongst them, people stop talking to each other so they can lean in and listen to me. if i don't realize i've set myself up for some sort of story then there will be a silence and i'll look up and everyone will be waiting for me to continue. i'm always put on stage around them, and even when i'm grumpy about it they make it out to be endearing moodiness and they just can't wait to hear the harsh words i've got to say.

i've tried to point this out to them but they don't take me seriously. i can't say anything that isn't understood to be at the very least hilariously snarky. at least three times i've attempted to make a serious appeal and been laughed at directly cause they thought i was making a joke.

i don't want to abandon this group of people cause i do somewhat like some of them, and also i don't want to be rude to my best friend's girlfriend, who already seems to go back and forth between hating my guts for being too callous to her or her friends, or having some sort of feigned we-go-way-back affection for me that makes me wanna fuckin puke.

so what would you do
i don't know why i feel so dry
I would straight up tell them that they make me feel like a joke, and I would want to be treated like a normal person. I'd let them know I still wanted to be friends with them, but I couldn't keep being treated like that.
I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy

Quote by ErikLensherr

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Idk but that sucks

Maybe I'd enjoy the false attention if I could humour it
More likely I'd withdraw
Hard to be facing that choice
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Ever write a whole paragraph and delete the whole thing before posting? I do that a lot on this site. I think it's like I have a thought that's related, decide to share it, keep going, and then by the time I've written around a paragraph I realize the train of thought isn't going anywhere and I don't know what the point of it is. ctrl+a delete >_> Let's try again.

But yea, sounds like that sucks. Don't know what I'd do in that situation.

Is there a significant age difference between you and the rest of the group? I've experienced it both as the center of focus when I'm the oldest in a group and when I'm not I tend to pay the most attention to and look to the oldest person there. In situations where there's not much of an age gap the strongest personalities tend to get the most attention, and the ones with the most maturity can easily gain everyone else's attention. I think that's why if there's someone who's significantly older they tend to be the focal point of social interactions; age tends to strengthen personality and hopefully maturity as well (I know of a few exceptions to that one).

So my guess is that in your situation you're either the strongest personality there or you're the most mature, or both, which may or may not be related to an age difference. If that's the case and it makes you too uncomfortable then the only thing you can do is not hang out with them. The social hierarchy isn't going to change.
those are called "dumb people" and you stay far, far away from them
Quote by Eastwinn
lately (last ~6 months) i've been hanging around this new group of friends. they're an established group that's sort of accepted me into their ranks cause i'm a friend of a friend and i guess they like me. one of my best friend's girlfriend is part of this group.

but i'm not sure i like them all that much anymore, including her.

i've realized that i don't actually have that much in common with most of them. i thought i did, but it turns out they've all been enthusiastically humoring me as i spoke cause they think the way i talk is funny. not my voice, but the "passion" i have, and the words i use, or something. they think my entire character is hilarious. i give simple answers to simple questions and they all laugh as a group cause they think i'm making a joke or something. they pressure me into telling mundane stories because they think i make those mundane happenings sound interesting and funny or w/e. one of them told me that it feels like i'm reading a script off a teleprompter when i speak, like i'm a character from a tv show.

these are all supposed to be compliments, but i've never felt more alienated than i do with these people. when i speak amongst them, people stop talking to each other so they can lean in and listen to me. if i don't realize i've set myself up for some sort of story then there will be a silence and i'll look up and everyone will be waiting for me to continue. i'm always put on stage around them, and even when i'm grumpy about it they make it out to be endearing moodiness and they just can't wait to hear the harsh words i've got to say.

i've tried to point this out to them but they don't take me seriously. i can't say anything that isn't understood to be at the very least hilariously snarky. at least three times i've attempted to make a serious appeal and been laughed at directly cause they thought i was making a joke.

i don't want to abandon this group of people cause i do somewhat like some of them, and also i don't want to be rude to my best friend's girlfriend, who already seems to go back and forth between hating my guts for being too callous to her or her friends, or having some sort of feigned we-go-way-back affection for me that makes me wanna fuckin puke.

so what would you do

I'd get over myself and either a) Look at the good times that were had during that, or b) le suicide Xp, or c) find new friends, or d) give them a chance since I am clearly new to the group, and not nitpick negatives with my ego-centric qualms

I'd avoid them for just a little while. Sounds annoying if you get laughed at for just talking without even trying to be funny.
Quote by DisarmGoliath
Facesitting is a violation of freedom of speech, because how can you speak when you have an ass covering your face?
if it were me, I would double up on the callousness. that's how you end up alone though, ironically, much less lonely than when you feel isolated from being surrounded by a bunch of people who don't make you feel comfortable being yourself.
Quote by Cardbored
I'd avoid them for just a little while. Sounds annoying if you get laughed at for just talking without even trying to be funny.

It is very annoying. I haven't had people literally laugh at me, but I've joined a few circles where people all thought I was "a trip" and automatically assumed anything I said was like some deep metaphor or something. All just because I know how to speak somewhat intelligently. It gets very annoying, even if they don't mean to be insulting.
Kill them.

Or write a series of short stories about all their darkest secrets and publish it.

Or confront them.

Fuck, anything, really. If they think you're odd and mundane I hardly think the response is to do anything that's less-than-abrupt.
Doesnt sound like a bad deal at all imo.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
Quote by JustRooster
Or write a series of short stories about all their darkest secrets and publish it.

titled "who's laughing now?"
i don't know why i feel so dry