Hi!

I want to buy an amp which is good for home usage and good for live performance. The Laney IRt studio which is 15 w with Prs Se 212 cab. is loud enough for gigs?
Well ive seen people gig with 5w amps. Its possible because its gonna be miced up anyway. But i dont know if its gonna be loud enough for band practice. Why dont you just get the 50w version?
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Quote by gorkyporky
Well ive seen people gig with 5w amps. Its possible because its gonna be miced up anyway. But i dont know if its gonna be loud enough for band practice. Why dont you just get the 50w version?

Agreed, except: Sometimes it's going to be miked up, sometimes not. People *have* gotten away with 5W amps, but as you note, it's not going to be enough to compete with an aggro drummer at practice. I'd recommend the 50W version as well. I have a lightweight and compact Carvin Belair 2x12 open back tube combo (50W, EL84, Vintage 30's) that's seriously loud, and that gets put up on a tilt-back stand for rehearsal. Sufficient.

I don't recommend really low-power amps for live gigs because there's a chance of picking up other instruments/noises if the sound guy has to dial up your mike too high.
Quote by dspellman
Agreed, except: Sometimes it's going to be miked up, sometimes not.

Yeah, i hear that a lot, but i have never in 10 years played a gig in a venue that didnt have the amps miced up. The only two shows i played that went un-miced were two private parties. School talent shows and such are different i guess.

Quote by frostkaldstia
And what about the peavey 6505+112 combo? Can i use it for practicing and for live performance?

Yes, just make sure you either put it on a stand, or angle it upwards. Maybe even both.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
You can plug a Laney IRT studio in direct into the PA system and use your cabinet as a monitor?
Quote by gorkyporky
Yeah, i hear that a lot, but i have never in 10 years played a gig in a venue that didnt have the amps miced up. The only two shows i played that went un-miced were two private parties. School talent shows and such are different i guess..

I went through a period where I played "shows" that were billed as "showcases" where the bands were told by the owners that they wouldn't be paid (or would get a cut of the bar, etc.) because the venue was so popular that the bands were often offered recording contracts, etc. Mostly "originals" bands who somehow sounded nearly identical to one another. Those were miked up and stage-volume-restricted so that the venue barkeeps could hear the drink orders. Fairly recently, I helped out a friend by playing bar gigs that made no such pretensions and that actually pay the bands, who are NOT miked up. Colleges have mostly gone to DJs (cheaper) for their parties/dances, but hire bands who bring their own PAs. These are usually vocal-only or vocals plus keyboards, with the guitars finding their own way. And so on.

A 50W amp covers all of those bases. If you're always going to be miked up and if you know the venue's got a good house system, you may as well forego an amp altogether and just take your Pod, etc. and run direct.
Last edited by dspellman at Sep 9, 2016,