Hello.

I am still looking for new guitar, can't really decide since there are many brands that i like. However my first guitar was Ibanez GRG170, a cheap Gio that i used to learn basic stuff. Now, i would like to try again Ibanez, the TG 7421 in White Snow colour it is what i have in my mind. Rg 7421 users cna you help me? How the guitar feels compared to ESP Ltd 7 strings? I have mh 417 with Thin U neck which is really comfortable for my hands, the necks isnt too thick either thin? How wide is neck compare dto ltds, same or wider? I known pickups are passive quantums in RG , i dont need EMG's everywhere. As for someone who has rather smaller hands is it easy to play as Thin u necks? Does Indonesian model has any drawbacks? Does it stay in tune? any other disadvantages or advantages?
I had one of these for a couple of weeks, I bought it at a pawn shop it was a decent player I definately like the neck better then the one on my Schecter Damien Elite7 as the Ibanez Wizard neck was thinner. It was an older model so I'm not sure if if had the Quantum pickups or not but for me the pickups were what really let that guitar down they were very muddy and dull sounding not having the money to replace them at the time I ultimately returned the guitar for a refund.

FWIW my Schecter Damien Elite 7 is a great guitar the neck it a bit thicker than the Ibanez but it is EMG 81/85 equipped and generally has a better fell and look than the Ibanez did with it's carved top, binding and abolone cross inlays. I picked it up for $300 used without a scratch on it I think they are just over $500 new though and IMO very nice.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Well i can pick schecter but, schecter feels like its made for big hands, thats not mine story for sure. Tried RG7421 in local store, however i am going to wait for white model, didnt like black ones. Price tag 350$. In future i might swap pickups
Quote by rockstar256
Well i can pick schecter but, schecter feels like its made for big hands, thats not mine story for sure. Tried RG7421 in local store, however i am going to wait for white model, didnt like black ones. Price tag 350$. In future i might swap pickups

FWIW I have short stubby fingers and I get along just fine with the Schecter neck, that Ibanez is a good choice too and I hear the quantum pickups sound decent I do not think my Ibanez had quantum's.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

Most people can adapt to various necks. My hands aren't exactly large either and until I start trying 8-stringers, it's fine. A thin neck helps for sure, but it's still the player.
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587, Agile Septor 727
*mods

Amps/FX
Peavey: Vypyr 30/Max 112 (200W), ISP: Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.
Evilnine

Yeah, ibanez seem to changed them along with other models. Can't wait to get white one, im sick of black seven strings. Ha
Quote by rockstar256
Guys is it worth 500$?

RG7421 are $399.99 brand new just about everywhere in the U.S.
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

Well, maybe.

What other brands and models run around that? A Schecter Demon 7 runs under $500 new. I snagged a used Washburn WG 587 for $80 for comparison.

In the 7x21, I believe that's the best model. Outside the ESP M417, I don't know all your options. You wouldn't be making an obviously poor move, but I don't know all options available to you.
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587, Agile Septor 727
*mods

Amps/FX

Quote by dannyalcatraz
bjgrifter

Budget for this day is 500$ (I live in EU, Poland). I want a cheaper guitar , the Schecter feels to heavy man. The RG has great neck and it feels smooth. But the price tag of RG7421PB is 125$ more than regular RG7421 which is 375$ here.
You have to live with the purchase. Ibanez pickups on budget lines seem to be known as less than stellar, and those are easier to change than a neck.

If the Jackson JS22-7 is around, it might be worth it to see how that feels in your hands. Pickups aren't impressive, but it runs around $200-250 new in the US. It feels really nice in the hand and has a slimmer neck vs. Schecter fare. There's also the Ibanez 7321 which is a notch below the 7421.

I'd suggest Agile, but being outside the US, that's probably going to be more hassle than it's worth with shipping costs. Still if you'd run across one in a shop, might check it out if it happens to fall in your budget.

How set are you on the 7421PB vs the 7421? The top is the main cost factor here, so if it's worth the cost, go for it. Otherwise, it's really the same guitar and you could spend the money on new pickups, which you seem inclined to do anyway.
Guitar/Bass:
*mods

Amps/FX

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Quote by bjgrifter
You have to live with the purchase. Ibanez pickups on budget lines seem to be known as less than stellar, and those are easier to change than a neck.

If the Jackson JS22-7 is around, it might be worth it to see how that feels in your hands. Pickups aren't impressive, but it runs around $200-250 new in the US. It feels really nice in the hand and has a slimmer neck vs. Schecter fare. There's also the Ibanez 7321 which is a notch below the 7421.

I'd suggest Agile, but being outside the US, that's probably going to be more hassle than it's worth with shipping costs. Still if you'd run across one in a shop, might check it out if it happens to fall in your budget.

How set are you on the 7421PB vs the 7421? The top is the main cost factor here, so if it's worth the cost, go for it. Otherwise, it's really the same guitar and you could spend the money on new pickups, which you seem inclined to do anyway.

Now i see, its Poplar Burl top that makes guitar much more expensive compared to regular Rg. Well i dont like jackson necks too, mostly and Ibanez and ESP fan all the way. Well pickups seem to be average as quantums, but much better than other ibanez stuff. I might consider changing them in future. The colour is what i love, i hate black 7 strings since i only had black ones
Last edited by rockstar256 at Sep 25, 2016,
But, black goes with everything...like my soul.
Guitar/Bass:
*mods

Amps/FX

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Black is sort of boring unless it's like this one

The RG 7421 is a fine guitar and the neck is pretty much fine as well, you'll adapt to it just great, I'm sure.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

NGD at early october, that one you have posted, what model is it?
Last edited by rockstar256 at Sep 27, 2016,
Quote by rockstar256
NGD at early october, that one you have posted, what model is it?

It is a UV777, made in '99 Japan.
Quote by rockstar256
Yet, anyone got idea if white rg7421 is still produced?

http://www.ibanez.com/products/u_eg_detail.php?data_id=307&color=CL02&year=2016&cat_id=1&series_id=1
According to this site, they have it in black, white and walnut flat finishes.

Btw, going used could be the best thing you can do with this beasty. Many people upgrade the pickups cause it's a good guitar. Now, I am not saying that you need to upgrade the pickups, good amp comes first, but when someone else has installed them, they won't get the same value out of them as when they bought the guitar and pickups as new. At least I don't buy from those guys who think that a used guitar with aftermarket pickups is worth way more than the stock guitar brand new. Also, you might stumble upon a RG7621, which is an even better guitar IMHO.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Last edited by Sakke at Sep 28, 2016,