Hi All,

Just discovered this pickup isn't working in either Treble or Middle switch setting. Neck is fine. Noticed before at times would occassionally drop out but now completely dead. When in middle position turning volume knob to 0 negates the sound. I've not seen any wire loose or what. Touched all wires etc with no excess movement at solded points. Any other suggestions? Had some work done back in Jan 2016. 57 classics put in and 50s wiring done. Couldn't upload a pic.Thanks.

Mark.G.Sargent
Last edited by mark.g.sargent at Sep 8, 2016,
Clean the Jack and switches contact cleaner. Every once in awhile those switches get finicky.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Yep, contact cleaner is your first stop. Switches and pots get dirty over time, this is what happens. I fooled a salesman and got a discount of almost half price at a pawn shop on a Les Paul copy in the 80's, I thought it was a bad switch and convinced them it was a bad pickup. Got it just over half price, $12 for both switches, it had a phase switch too, and it worked perfect. Contact cleaner didn't help, switch was trashed.

Squirt some contact cleaner into the switch, use the plastic tube and stick it right where the toggle knob goes into the switch, and work it back and forth a dozen times, give it a couple of minutes to dry out and try it. Pots can be cleaned if you remove the rear cover, squirt it in where the lugs go into the cover, there should be a hole there. Work the knob full on and full off a few times, let it dry and try it out.

Most electronic buffs prefer DeOxit, I use the generic stuff available at automotive parts stores (Auto Zone, O'Reilly's), it's cheaper and does ok but does not have the lubricant, you have to use it a bit more often and knobs may get a bit stiff, usually I don't have any problems with it.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Hey don't thank me, thank trashed, he's the one who brought it up, I just agreed.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
If you want to add a pic, upload it to photobucket or imgur or something and post the URL with [IMG] tags on here.

The cleaner idea is certainly the first port of call - there are a lot of cheaper equivalents to DeOxit that will do the same job (e.g. Servisol here in the UK) and it's a really useful thing to have for pots and switches generally (I generally use it in combination with an airduster), it keeps things working nicely.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Along with dirt, the switch could also have intermittent contact from loose contacts. I pulled my switch out of my lp, cleaned it and bent the contacts towards the lever a bit to fix mine. No issues since.
Quote by Liaztraht
Along with dirt, the switch could also have intermittent contact from loose contacts. I pulled my switch out of my lp, cleaned it and bent the contacts towards the lever a bit to fix mine. No issues since.

that is a good potential solution as well. i have had that happen a couple of times, good recommendation
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
trashedlostfdup frequently for me, it's the tiniest thing that goes wrong. I've learned to check for what can be fixed without buying new parts or tools.
Always start simple. Or you would just be throwing money at it haha.
Quote by Liaztraht
trashedlostfdup frequently for me, it's the tiniest thing that goes wrong. I've learned to check for what can be fixed without buying new parts or tools.
Always start simple. Or you would just be throwing money at it haha.

definitely. I have been accruing gear for a while now and have pretty much anything i would need though. if not a dozen .
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
definitely. I have been accruing gear for a while now and have pretty much anything i would need though. if not a dozen .
I have been as well. Though I started trading the old stuff away for new. I don't have the room for everything!
Quote by Liaztraht
I have been as well. Though I started trading the old stuff away for new. I don't have the room for everything!

I have downsize-upgraded a few times. I have like 18 tube amps and just under 20 electrics.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!