Poll: Would the world be better off without agriculture?
Poll Options
View poll results: Would the world be better off without agriculture?
yes
5 21%
No
22 92%
Voters: 24.
Page 1 of 2
Before the invention of agriculture, people lived by hunting and fishing and picking berries and mushrooms. Being nomads, they had no place to keep a lot of stuff in, so they gathered less of it and consequently consumed not very much resources. Their inhabitations were mobile and temporary, doing very little permanent harm to nature. They also had no reason to dry swamps or cut down forests. Whereas agriculture ruined everything, distances man from nature and soon enabled capitalism.

I say eat dirt but watch out for the worms they don't taste so good...............
"Everyone is born with genius, but most people only keep it a few minutes"
and I need the knits, the double knits!
Yes I hate living in relative comfort in an industrialised society I would much prefer to go back to higher mortality rates, constant starvation even with great amounts of manual labour, and a low chance to even survive winter.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Sounds like fun
I'd be ok here in OZ is nice and warm here not much if any snow lol but might get a bit thirsty, just too bad about you guys in the northern climes
I'm all up for a simple lifestyle but, without common agriculture this world would have a HARD time supporting 7/8 billion people? It's just not practical, in my opinion the balance between nature and industrialization is critical, we need both to survive.
"He's A Nigerian Prince And He Wants Your Money"
100% no, without any doubt in my heart
One of the third friendliest users
Stratkat's pet

Quote by Momentosis
Void is a wanker that's why

Quote by EddieRUKidding
I'd be ok here in OZ is nice and warm here not much if any snow lol but might get a bit thirsty, just too bad about you guys in the northern climes
No, you wouldn't.

Estimates of the Aboriginal population at the time Europeans began settling in Australia range from 300,000 to 1,000,000, and the latest census says there are around 24,000,000 Australians.

A lot of you are going to starve.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Are you talking about the human world, the benefit of other (non-human) creatures in general, of trees and plants, or of the world as some sort of emotive entity?

Quote by EndTheRapture51
Yes I hate living in relative comfort in an industrialised society I would much prefer to go back to higher mortality rates, constant starvation even with great amounts of manual labour, and a low chance to even survive winter.
sounds like someone's a pussy that wouldn't kill his dog for some ribs
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
If we're talking about this from purely a nature conservationist perspective then yeah, advanced agricultural techniques enabled sedentary lifestyles which led to humanity becoming what it is today. Something that probably isn't very healthy for a lot of the natural world.

That said, you have to think about the benefits of pretty much everything that has happened in the last 5000 or so years and attribute that to the ability to lead a relatively sedentary life. I like things like pizza and chairs so I don't think I'd be down for saying agriculture is a bad thing.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

We all have the rights to be mad

So does you
I sure don't

nowadays I have to shag grannies if I want a sloppy bj
Quote by EndTheRapture51
^ What did I just read? ^
we are the wounds and the great cold death of the earth
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Well this would be a good way to thin out the vegan population.

This is not a sustainable option anyway as the huge population of the planet would hunt every living animal to extintion within a few decades.

Then we would all have to become vegan and reinstate agriculture, or resort to cannibalism!
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

I'd happily live without agriculture because I live by woodland and it would be easy for me to hunt wild beasts to eat. Just today there was a deer eating on the other side of the garden fence. If I'd only had a spear handy, I could have made the eater become the eaten.

Really though, I wouldn't last long in a world without agriculture because I'm too lazy and I also don't want to kill innocent deer
I have nothing important to say
Last edited by JackSaints at Sep 8, 2016,
Quote by Evilnine
Well this would be a good way to thin out the vegan population.

This is not a sustainable option anyway as the huge population of the planet would hunt every living animal to extintion within a few decades.

Then we would all have to become vegan and reinstate agriculture, or resort to cannibalism!

Cannibal the musical comes to mind
Human hunting is fun.

Primitivism pls?
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Quote by Banjocal
Human hunting is fun.

Primitivism pls?
I saw a documentary about that, presented by Jean Claude van Damme.
Quote by Diemon Dave
idk I just want to see everything collapse and revert to radical egoism
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Quote by slapsymcdougal
No, you wouldn't.

Estimates of the Aboriginal population at the time Europeans began settling in Australia range from 300,000 to 1,000,000, and the latest census says there are around 24,000,000 Australians.

A lot of you are going to starve.
Quote by beadhangingOne
CAN YOU REPEAT THE QUESTION?

the Australian indigenous population managed for 40,000 years without agriculture quite well in fact until the English turned up one day............... in 1788
Quote by EddieRUKidding
the Australian indigenous population managed for 40,000 years without agriculture quite well in fact until the English turned up one day............... in 1788
So, you think the question was "would the world have been better off without agriculture", implying that agriculture was never developed, rather than what you asked, which implied agriculture would vanish?
Quote by Diemon Dave
Quote by slapsymcdougal
So, you think the question was "would the world have been better off without agriculture", implying that agriculture was never developed, rather than what you asked, which implied agriculture would vanish?

Nice, re-Analysing (or analising ) the question. To be honest I have given it much thought- never do I just blert it out you know.... but I thought the question was - Would the world be better off without agriculture? One good example is the OZ case when the indigenous pop managed quite well I'm told until a capt Cook turned up- As they say in OZ he chased a cook all around Australia, ended up in France and lost his pants and found them in Tasmania!
Quote by EddieRUKidding
Nice, re-Analysing (or analising ) the question. To be honest I have given it much thought- never do I just blert it out you know.... but I thought the question was - Would the world be better off without agriculture? One good example is the OZ case when the indigenous pop managed quite well I'm told until a capt Cook turned up- As they say in OZ he chased a cook all around Australia, ended up in France and lost his pants and found them in Tasmania!
Well, your initial response did seem to indicate you thought I needed to.

But no, the world wouldn't be better off without agriculture, because beer.

/thread
Quote by Diemon Dave
Damn, I forgot about beer, bloody hell I would get thirsty then
I have made a more interesting thread based of this template that I think we can all agree is totally serious business.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Anyone on for a beer
Last edited by EddieRUKidding at Sep 8, 2016,
Not right now but when all the fossil fuels and land life has been burned up by farms. Captain Hindsight will tell us that food isn't a magical infinite resource
Is Captain Hindsight related to Captin Cook? ---New thread
Either way, no matter what route we take we are all worm food in the end. (Optimism)
There's a reason the first tech in civ5 is agriculture. without it say goodbye to any kind of organised civilisation and the benefits it brings :/
Hello reaper my old friend, come to take 6.9 billion of us, well how dee do.

Quote by beadhangingOne
CAN YOU REPEAT THE QUESTION?

for the lazy
Quote by Mr E Meat
this is your brain

this is your brain on RT

Quote by Standard_A440
Given that you reside in the shade of the natural light of reason, I will defer doing your homework to you.
Good to see 5 said yes including me
eddie

r u kidding
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Did you call
Quote by Hydra150
eddie

r u kidding

I literally came in here to post this.

I read through the thread, each post no containing this joke added to my anticipation... Then you go and do this shit. Fuck you.
I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy

Quote by ErikLensherr

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Quote by zgr0826
I literally came in here to post this.

I read through the thread, each post no containing this joke added to my anticipation... Then you go and do this shit. Fuck you.

Don't worry I'll get Flo on to him and rip his bloody arms off

Last edited by EddieRUKidding at Sep 9, 2016,
Page 1 of 2