So I have a line 6 spider 3 75w 1x12 and I've been using the boss rc30 loop station. When I record it sounds fine but if I add a second layer on top it muffles the sounds out. Especially two lead parts on top of each other, they just cancel each other out. You can hear both parts but not clearly. Is that normal? Do I need a 2 speaker amp? Or is it the quality of the amp?
Thread was moved to forum: Guitar Gear & Accessories
My God, it's full of stars!
It's just putting too much signal to the input of the amp. Having a better amp would probably help some but it is just the nature of how loops work with guitar amps. Especially if you're running distortion on the amp, it is just that there is not enough headroom from the amp to handle multiple signals.
Last edited by Will Lane at Sep 12, 2016,
You can't run a looper into a guitar amp and expect good results without observing some rules.

1) If you are layering loops then you should use the cleanest possible amp you can find.
2) If you put any FX after the looper then you can expect the layers to start sounding like crap. One exception would be some reverb as that is an environment effect.
3) If you loop layers into distortion you will get the terrible results that you have already observed.

Distortion starts to become muddy and nasty sounding when you play chords or polyphonic notes into it. It's best with a monophonic signal. One notable exception is power chords (i.e. the root and the fifth), which are frequently played into distorted amps.
You may try putting the distortion before the looper (with a pedal) or put the looper in the effects loop.
Dave @ Seymour Duncan
Quote by fly135
You can't run a looper into a guitar amp and expect good results without observing some rules.

1) If you are layering loops then you should use the cleanest possible amp you can find.
2) If you put any FX after the looper then you can expect the layers to start sounding like crap. One exception would be some reverb as that is an environment effect.
3) If you loop layers into distortion you will get the terrible results that you have already observed.

Distortion starts to become muddy and nasty sounding when you play chords or polyphonic notes into it. It's best with a monophonic signal. One notable exception is power chords (i.e. the root and the fifth), which are frequently played into distorted amps.
^Bingo. You pretty much just can't put a loop before a distortion, including the amp's. Any substantial amount of gain will respond unpleasantly to any complex frequency ratios - 1:2, an octave and 2:3, a fifth, are simple enough to sound good as long as they're in tune, while 3rds and 7ths are both more complex and differ substantially from their justly intonated counterparts, meaning that they generally can't cope with anything more than light distortion. Multiple different parts fed into a distortion (or a "clean" gain stage with insufficient headroom) as one signal will be clipped as such and will sound nasty unless they're in the aforementioned simple ratios.

You want the looper to come after anything like a distortion that will clip the signal if you want a decent sound.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Last edited by K33nbl4d3 at Sep 14, 2016,