Hey guys,
I've been playing the electric guitar for 4 months now and I can already play some of my favorite songs.
The songs I can play at the moment are:

Green Day:
- Holiday
- Bang Bang

SUM 41:
- Still Waiting
- The Hell Song

Linkin Park:
- Numb (Used the tabs of a full guitar-only cover)

However, while I love punk rock, it doesn't really help improving my technique.
I always play the Lead guitar for the complete song and after memorizing the notes, I play with with a backing track and adjust the speed until I can play it in full speed.
Currently I'm learning Plug in Baby by Muse and Aqualung by Jethro Tull.
Learning the Solo from Aqualung really helped me with pull-offs, bending, vibrato and soloing in general.
Now there's only the acoustic part of the song left to learn, which should help me playing barre chords without needing seconds to change the chord shapes.
Does anyone have some suggestions of fun but challenging songs that are appropriate to improve my skill level?
I mostly listen to Rock and Metal but I'm open for other genres as well!
Thanks in Advance!

Edit: Just realised that there is a Thread for song suggestions... Can't delete my thread though x.x
Last edited by juvion at Sep 8, 2016,
Well this thread totally doesn't remind me of myself 10 years ago!

If you like their music you can't go wrong with Metallica and Maiden. Basically all of their songs are great to learn for relative beginners if you are into that kind of thing.
Quote by juvion

Edit: Just realised that there is a Thread for song suggestions... Can't delete my thread though x.x
Actually, yes you can. Click on "#1"
Have you heard of this little song called Stairway To Heaven? Though it's not very common so you might not find a tab for it..
"He's A Nigerian Prince And He Wants Your Money"
Quote by NeoMvsEu
Actually, yes you can. Click on "#1"

Haha, I learn something new every day, thanks for the answer!
Should I delete it and ask the same question in the appropriate thread or just leave it as it is ?
Quote by SirEngelbert
Have you heard of this little song called Stairway To Heaven? Though it's not very common so you might not find a tab for it..

Totally forgot about this one, but yeah it should have been an obvious choice haha. Thanks for the suggestion.
Quote by Random3
Well this thread totally doesn't remind me of myself 10 years ago!

If you like their music you can't go wrong with Metallica and Maiden. Basically all of their songs are great to learn for relative beginners if you are into that kind of thing.

Have you been in the same situation ?
Alright, I'll look into Master of Puppets and The Trooper. \m/
Have you tried The House Of The Rising Sun? It's a good one if you're having trouble with the beloved barre chords.
"He's A Nigerian Prince And He Wants Your Money"
Quote by SirEngelbert
Have you tried The House Of The Rising Sun? It's a good one if you're having trouble with the beloved barre chords.

I didn't but a song that helps to improve my barre chords is definitely worth checking out.
At the moment, I am at the point where I can play most shapes without problems but need some time to switch between them.
Except for Fsus...
I always mute one string when I'm playing that chord, although a normal F works without problems. The string doesn't get muted because I accidently touch it but because I can't push it down with my barring finger. The side of my finger literally looks as if the strings cut into my skin when I try to play that chord. That may be due to my setup though.
My cousin has a guitar that has a lower action than mine on the lower frets and is easier to play in general, maybe I'll be able to play the chord with her guitar.
Last edited by juvion at Sep 11, 2016,