Hey everyone, I have a question thats kind of addressed to a few different types of genres..

I am in a band that does primarily Rock and Country, and while I am okay with the playing side of things, I kind of suck at setting some decent tones,

I play metal on the side, and that seems to be the only tone and effects that I am able to get pretty close to where I want it. Anyways, I was wondering how to get a tone that would be close to like a Brad Paisley sound and a tone that would be along the lines of My Chemical Romance or Green Day.

I have a Digitech RP500, A Swing - Smash guitar, Mesage Boogie Single Rectifier amp with a 4x12 and 2x12 Cab, (dont always use both, dependent on gig)
Im guessing most people havent heard of my guitar before, its like a Strat with 2 single coils and a double coil at the bridge with a 5 tone selector switch. (if its going to be any help at all)

really im more looking at what I would have to do to the amps treb mid and bass, and if there are any things i should do with a reverb on my effects pedal.

alternately if there is a guide or something for this, that would work too.

thanks
Actually, while I don't know that model, I DO know that guitar maker: a few years ago, I wanted to add a Swing Exciter Gold to my collection, but I ultimately went a different way.

Brad Paisley is going to be relatively simple: OD, delay, tremolo and maybe compression into a relatively clean amp.

See also sites like Equipboard for clues.
http://equipboard.com
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Well that would explain why ive had a ton of issues trying to get close to his sound, tried using a heavy compression (wich kind of sucks because i can never play quiet when needed. Definitly will give that a try.

The sites pretty cool too, gonna bookmark it for sure.

Im honestly surprised youve heard of the brand, most if not all the music stores in my city dont carry it, my parents store used to sell the line witch is the only reason I have one, the sound isnt bad though.

Thanks for the help
For a country sound, the delay is very important to get right. They use what is called slapback. You want a short time (probably in the 100-200ms range) with a single repeat (feedback turned to 0) and a moderate level.

Reverb in country is traditionally spring reverb so if you don't have real spring reverb you want a pedal that can mimic it.

For a compressor, it sounds like your problem is that you are setting it too high and so you're squishing your tone more than you want. Try dialing it back a bit if you don't want so much squish. Personally I love squish though.

Also I'd say set up pedals comp > OD > mod (tremolo, etc) > delay > reverb. But it's preference to an extent.

Quote by xtbs
most if not all the music stores in my city dont carry it,

Well yeah. Most music stores carry at max like a dozen or so different very mainstream brands. The majority of guitar brands probably won't be sold in any brick-and-mortar stores.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Last edited by theogonia777 at Sep 9, 2016,
Quote by xtbs

The sites pretty cool too, gonna bookmark it for sure.

Glad to help!

Im honestly surprised youve heard of the brand, most if not all the music stores in my city dont carry it, my parents store used to sell the line witch is the only reason I have one, the sound isnt bad though.

It's part of why I am who I am. When I went on my own 1st electric guitar buying odyssey, I didn't want a Strat, Tele, or Les Paul (for a lot of reasons). So I had to start looking in the gear books...and I never stopped. When I got online, I started bookmarking sites. I now have several hundred guitar makers- as well as pedal and amp makers- bookmarked on my mobile devices.

As a matter of fact, the only retailers I know of selling Swing are in Asia- one reason I'm not the owner of an Exciter Gold. Where are you that your folks' store carried them?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Sep 9, 2016,
dannyalcatraz

My parents store closed back in 2012 due to some poor circumstances but up until that time, we were located in Canada. I think we were the only one that had rights to sell the product, that in mind, im sure other stores could have easily done so as well. but now a days if its not a fender or ibanez noone wants anything to do with it. Not to bash Fender or Ibanez. I got this guitar 12 years ago when i was a kid to be fair lol.
xtbs

Danny has heard of everything it seems so never be surprised. internet board so it's not that hard to find someone that knows any given brand.
To be fair most musicians I talk to ask me what my guitar is, because it looks like a strat but in my opinion plays nicer xD
xtbs
Sometime, there really is good stuff to be found on paths not taken. Glad you found something good on your path!

get a light OD and a *good* compressor. they are one thing i haven't ever had luck 'cheap-ing' out on.

one cheaper one that i have had good results with (don't own), was the barber tone press.

really though, the diamond comp is what i would LOOOVE to have. they are pricey, but they are great, i just can't justify $200 on one. they do the 'country' thing quite well IMO.

as far as delay goes, the sky is the limit. i like malekko (news to everybody for sure haha), but the way huge aquapuss is pretty decent, or even the mxr carbon copy. but i can't find something to beat my malekkos.

i agree with Kristen on this one.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
A couple of nice light/medium ODs:

Some good reverbs:

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Sep 10, 2016,
danny is sure going to town. lol.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Can't help myself.

Quote by trashedlostfdup
get a light OD and a *good* compressor. they are one thing i haven't ever had luck 'cheap-ing' out on.

one cheaper one that i have had good results with (don't own), was the barber tone press.

really though, the diamond comp is what i would LOOOVE to have. they are pricey, but they are great, i just can't justify $200 on one. they do the 'country' thing quite well IMO.

i agree with Kristen on this one.

For what it's worth, Paisley used a Keeley whatever for the longest time but now uses a Diamond whatever. Brent Mason for most of his career used a Boss I think CS-2 and now uses a Wampler Ego.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
For what it's worth, Paisley used a Keeley whatever for the longest time but now uses a Diamond whatever. Brent Mason for most of his career used a Boss I think CS-2 and now uses a Wampler Ego.

I forgot the ego, i like it a lot when I demod in a shop. I prefer the diamond over the ego, but that is strictly opinion. they are great units.

I have tried a keeley, but that is a while back.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!