So I managed to come across some extra cash, and hopefully after 8+ years I can finally get my first Mesa! I dont need anything over 50watts as that would be over kill. I like what I read about the Roadking and the single rectifier, ill be honest I've only had 2 days to do research so far, do either of these support 50 watt? I'd like for it to be a combo

I'm also interested in reading other peoples input &Mess owners! Budget wise <$1,3700.
'15 Fender Stratocaster w/ Dimarzio p/u
'15 Squire Bullet Stratocaster w/ Dimarzio p/u
Marshall DSL40c
Last edited by VirgoLife87 at Sep 9, 2016,
What do you mean, do they support 50W? A Single Rectifier is 50W, no options as far as I know. The Road King is 120W with wattage switches down to 100W and 50W. The only Rectifier combo's I've seen were Rect-O-Verbs, but those are killer either way.

Honestly, I wouldn't fix your mind on wattage. I'm suspecting you won't be looking for power tube breakup if you're looking at Mesa, so you might as well get as much headroom as possible. I had a Dual Rec and a Lone Star for some time and while they really came alive at high volumes, they sounded really good at lower volumes as well.

What I'd suggest is to try them out if you can. The Road King has so much options that you might think it's overkill. You'd also be able to test the Multi-Watt function and see for yourself how little it really matters how much wattage you're using. And I'd also consider the head + cab route. A combo really limits future options of trying different speakers in my opinion, not to mention that those Mesa combo's weigh a metric fucktonne.
I meant atleast 50watts, yea I seen the smaller head cabinet options too. I like the dual, thats what realm sold me when I played my friends. But I'm happy with 50watts, yea the roadking did seem intimidating, still keeping my options open
Marshall DSL40c
Unless you plan on playing with a really loud metal band or in arenas the size of the Astrodome, 50 watts is about all you need for most places. I played a Peavey MX with 30 and 130 watt settings for almost 20 years, rarely used the 130 watt side, with a Kustom 2x12 cabinet.

I've seen a lot of Peavey Classic 30 amps, Fender 30 watt amps, Vox AC 30's on stage with pro bands, Mike Campbell uses a Fender Princeton, 18 watts, onstage with Tom Petty. And tons of 50 watt Marshall heads and combos. I've been playing a 45 watt Fender Super Reverb for the past 15 years, it can hang with anything but the loudest bands. I've also used it for outdoor shows, with no problems, and used the MX on 30 watts at large clubs and outdoor shows. I have a Fender Pro Jr 15 watt tube amp now too, I haven't used it in a really loud situation, but at home it seems it would do ok with a full band. 20 to 30 watts will get a lot louder than you may think.

I sat in with a band in the 80's, their guitar player had the Mesa Caliber series 22 watt amp, that thing would keep up with any 50 watt amp I've ever played, and a lot of 100 watt rigs. If it were me, I'd stay with 50 watts or less.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Yea I don't need any
Quote by Paleo Pete
Unless you plan on playing with a really loud metal band or in arenas the size of the Astrodome, 50 watts is about all you need for most places. I played a Peavey MX with 30 and 130 watt settings for almost 20 years, rarely used the 130 watt side, with a Kustom 2x12 cabinet.

I've seen a lot of Peavey Classic 30 amps, Fender 30 watt amps, Vox AC 30's on stage with pro bands, Mike Campbell uses a Fender Princeton, 18 watts, onstage with Tom Petty. And tons of 50 watt Marshall heads and combos. I've been playing a 45 watt Fender Super Reverb for the past 15 years, it can hang with anything but the loudest bands. I've also used it for outdoor shows, with no problems, and used the MX on 30 watts at large clubs and outdoor shows. I have a Fender Pro Jr 15 watt tube amp now too, I haven't used it in a really loud situation, but at home it seems it would do ok with a full band. 20 to 30 watts will get a lot louder than you may think.

I sat in with a band in the 80's, their guitar player had the Mesa Caliber series 22 watt amp, that thing would keep up with any 50 watt amp I've ever played, and a lot of 100 watt rigs. If it were me, I'd stay with 50 watts or less.

Yea I don't need anything more than 50, I use a dsl for small halls its plenty, I like how you can own a 100watt n cut it down to 50 though
Marshall DSL40c
I have a Mesa Roadster (RoadKing II but with a simplified Power Section). The 100W/50W has more to do with tracking and tightness vs volume.

You really have 3 controls that affect the feel - Wattage, Rectification (tube or diode), and the Power (Bold or Spongy).

With Mesa I really suggest you read the manual a few times for whichever model you're interested in. They explain things very well about how the amp works and the controls interact with each other.

Edit: I picked up my Roadster 212 combo in mint condition with an extra set of tubes for $1,100 so there are some deals out there occasionally.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Last edited by metalmingee at Sep 9, 2016,
VirgoLife87 Mesa's are amazing - it really does take your tone to another level. I would state this however, even 30 watts is insanely loud, so there is no actual "need" for 50, unless the amp you are looking at has other features or a specific tone that you really want. I have the 30 watt Mesas Lonestar Special and I've never managed to put volume past 6, on any stage, even festival stages. Most of the time I'm at 4 or 5 during a jam or even a gig. It holds up with any setup in any situation. The other guitarist in my prog band has a Roadster and an Express, both are insanely loud also. The beauty of Mesa's is that sound amazing at lower volume levels as well, so you can get a great tone at any volume in any situation, you're never out of reach of the sweet spot.
They make a 30!? Omg even better!!!!! How would you say your lone star compares to the roadster in your opinion(of ya dont mind me asking)
Marshall DSL40c
Wattage is literally more along the head room rather than volume.

I read an article in Total guitar where they Db tested a load of amps and an AC30 was among the loudest. Also if you look into wattage to Db levels within a speaker you will find that the "wattage" doesnt make much difference. A guitar speaker will typically have something in the region of 90-100Db in sensitivity, which means that with 1 watt of power pumped through it, the speaker will produce 90-100Db. Which means that even a 5watt amp will be pushing very loud.

From my not massive experience I have found that you having higher wattage will lend itself to getting a much nicer "ballsier" bass response, and will keep that bass response when you start pushing the volume up.

To get a "whisper" level volume you would literally need to be pushing like 2/10ths of a watt of power through. Which a 1 watt amp can do, but similarly a 120watt beast of an amp will be able to produce.

The lower wattage will lend it self to getting power tube clipping sooner. There is an article here talking about the same thing.
http://www.egnateramps.com/TechTalk/Volume1.html

I really wouldn't worry about wattage and just go for the amp that sounds the best for you and is the best value for money that you can afford.

Either way, just enjoy!
Ok yes I know, I do in fact want 50, I'm NOT looking for 100, i don't know why people keep stressing about the wattage, its going in circles..
Marshall DSL40c
Let me repeat myself ONE LAST TIME I'm looking to get a Mesa, either a roadking or single rectifier, I dont know which one I want, and the single does drop to 50watts which is great, I'm just looking to see who has expierence with any of em and how the two differ.
Marshall DSL40c
There are 2 main sets of differences between a Single Rec and a RoadKing II.

Preamp:

- The Single Rec has 4 available modes across 2 channels (I think) - Channel 1 = Clean/Pushed and Channel 2 Vintage/Modern
- The Roadking has 12 available modes across 4 channels - Channel 1 - Clean/Fat/Tweed, Channel 2 - Clean/Fat/Brit, Channel 3 - Raw/Vintage/Modern, Channel 4 - Raw/Vintage/Modern

Power amp:

- Single Rec has either 6L6 or EL34 at one time and is diode rectification only.
- Roadking has 6L6 AND EL34 at one time and is Diode or Tube rectification all selectable per channel.

There are probably a bunch of other features as well such as Spring Reverb, Channel assignments, FX Loop bypass, etc, etc, etc. You can even assign speaker outputs per channel on the Roadking to run multiple cabinets.

To sum things up. The RoadKing is one of the most versatile amps ever made. It will do from Fender cleans, blues, classic rock, hair metal, power rock, arena rock, thrash metal, and death metal - and do them all so well that you could justify the amp for just that sound - but you get ALL of them. . .

What tones are you looking for in an amp? When folks mention a RoadKing you really don't need ask because it will cover it and people like them for their very convincing versatility.

If you only want the rock/metal tones then get the Single. If you want an amp that will last for all of your playing styles get the RoadKing.

I got my Roadster because I wanted the convincing versatility. I have a 5150 and grew tired of a lack of versatility. Turns out I like the high gain of the Roadster over the 5150 too so I'm really, really freaking happy with it.

Edit: And consider this - I like Modern mode for tight metal at all volumes (even low) better at 100W than 50W for the tighter tracking. Same thing for Diode over Tube. The channel and master volumes don't change. The wattage is really about feel and headroom, not volume.
Guitars:
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
Last edited by metalmingee at Sep 9, 2016,
Talk about the answer of all answers ? so my role in the band is rhythm guitarist, I do about 90% of palm muting and follows everything else, chords, vocals. I like the dual rectifier(friend in another band has) because of the thick, clean, crunch. Its in your face sound, but what I love the most is, he can, what seems to me is, individually control almost every equalization on key, and its amazing, it truly is, and your right, his messes around with this amp and the amount of tones is remarkable. So I figured, id get a single rectifier combo, I'm not saying ill have exactly what he has but I'm leaning in that direction because its in the same "family" I guess. I have a Marshall DSL and a old 91'JCM before that. So when I played his mesa, I was thinking either to stab the guy or shoot him to get it ?
Marshall DSL40c
dont want to say its not normal but, I can adjust my Marshall to get what I want with a little gain, high mids and about #6 of treble and a lil presence, but again I have my heart on mesa, just a combo that can have maybe half of what the dual has or maybe even more ?
Marshall DSL40c
The thing with the wattage is that it doesn't matter for what you're doing probably. It's just a number that in the end will probably give you way more volume than you'll ever need. Go for the amp with the options you like best and the sound you like best and don't eliminate based on wattage. If you like a Dual and it's in your budget, I'd honestly get one of those. It's not like it's going to sound worse because you've made up in your mind that you want exactly 50W and it's 100W.

Also, a Lone Star is an entirely different beast. Not what I would suggest if you loved the Dual Rec and are looking for something along those lines. They're great amps in their own right, though.
Well that's just it, if I can find a amp with those options for less than 50w point me in the direction plz? id figure the lowest would be 50watt fir the amp id want by mesa
Marshall DSL40c
Last edited by VirgoLife87 at Sep 9, 2016,
The Mini Rectifier and Recto-Verb are both 25W.
Guitars:
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
Point taken, but will it have the same effects as the larger /more powerful wattage amp?
Marshall DSL40c
VirgoLife87
How do you mean by the "same effects"? Bass response at volume, overall tone, versatility, etc?
Guitars:
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
Well ill put like this, how close or similar of a sound would I get from a smaller amp?
Marshall DSL40c
From a high gain point of view looser feel/tracking and lack of bass at volume.

Do you have a Mesa dealer local? I'd suggest a trip before you drop $1,300.

Here's how I think about it. From a Volume perspective you can always just turn the master down and keep the bass response and tightness with a higher wattage amp.

With a lower wattage amp you loose the tightness and bass response at higher volumes.

Wattage does not equal volume with these amps. That's what we've been trying to explain.
Guitars:
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
I don't know much about the roadster, but when I think about iconic mesas, its an older two channel Dual Rectifier is the first to come to mind.

the roadster offers much much better flexibility, and looks better on paper, but do you need it? I picked up my dual rectifier tremoverb for under $800, its fantastic all around. I won't be selling mine any time soon.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by metalmingee
From a high gain point of view looser feel/tracking and lack of bass at volume.

Do you have a Mesa dealer local? I'd suggest a trip before you drop $1,300.

Here's how I think about it. From a Volume perspective you can always just turn the master down and keep the bass response and tightness with a higher wattage amp.

With a lower wattage amp you loose the tightness and bass response at higher volumes.

Wattage does not equal volume with these amps. That's what we've been trying to explain.

Id like to just have 50 watts minimum, just my preference that's all, but I see what your saying
Marshall DSL40c
I have a Mesa Single Rec head, I'm not sure if they ever made a single rec combo but I know the heads are no longer in production so you would have to be buying used - going that way your $1300 should be more than enough, could probably grad the head and a decent 2x12 cab or some other gear.

Anyway on to the amp. 50W, two 6L6 tubes, 5 modes - Channel 1 clean/pushed, Channel 2 raw/vintage/modern

The amp has lots of volume and lots of thump, for high gain a boost pedal really opens the amp up, you don't necessarily need one but I prefer boosting with an OD rather than cranking the amp distortion more. For me the 50W SR was a great choice for a number of reasons
- price - I bought used but it is still cheaper than a used Dual
- wattage - 50W is lots of volume and for me sufficient headroom for my needs, also has enough thump to keep me happy and has a bit less weight than the dual
- cheaper maintenance as there are less tubes to replace

To me (and I may get destroyed on this) there are 3 main differences between the Single and Dual Recs
1 - wattage - as discussed above for me 50W was fine and a good fit
2- rectification - the SR only has diode rectification but since I wanted it for tight metal tones I wasn't interested in Tube rectification
3 - tone - my understanding is that the series 2 single rec was based on the sought after 2 channel dual rec and to me sound great. As I understand it further iterations of the DR circuit including moving up to 3 channels has yielded various levels of satisfaction from users, so an amp based on the older 2 channel circuit was also desirable

All this to say a 50W SR head (or combo if they make/made them) would probably suit you very well.
Hey guys just wanted to give everyone an update, I did in fact buy the roadking I (not II) I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Had to drive to Dallas but well worth it! theres alot to learn with it but its pretty incredible! Thanks again for all of your input
Marshall DSL40c
Last edited by VirgoLife87 at Sep 13, 2016,

Do a new amp day in a bit. Always love seeing Mesas!
Guitars:
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
congratulations!
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Enjoy! I have been a Mesa fanboy for a long time and love mine. Spend some quality time with it and learn all the different ways you can get your gain and tone dialed-in.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Congrats! I just got mine a few weeks ago. It takes some dialing in to get where you want but once you do it's awesome.

Quote by metalmingee

Do a new amp day in a bit.

This +1
Ibanez UV777 - Carvin TL60 & 727 - Jackson KE3
Splawn QuickRod - Mesa Stiletto & RoadKing - Peavey Ultra+ - Peavey Bandit
Some pedlulz & cabz

7 String Legion
read the manual. it's worth it. enjoy!
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by VirgoLife87
Hey guys just wanted to give everyone an update, I did in fact buy the roadking I (not II) I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Had to drive to Dallas but well worth it! theres alot to learn with it but its pretty incredible! Thanks again for all of your input

Nice!

have fun mang....
If you can afford it, kinda hard to go wrong with a road king :P
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Congrats! Excellent choice
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by trashedlostfdup
read the manual. it's worth it. enjoy!

This is some great advice, I plugged it in n thought knew wtf I was doing, this baby has tons of tons of tons of tons of tones, I have 5 pages of legal pad paper of all my tone settings I like, I need a mesa teacher to walk me through all this lol.. Did I mention I haven't shaved or slept for a week O_O
Marshall DSL40c
Last edited by VirgoLife87 at Sep 19, 2016,
Quote by VirgoLife87
This is some great advice, I plugged it in n thought knew wtf I was doing, this baby has tons of tons of tons of tons of tones, I have 5 pages of legal pad paper of all my tone settings I like, I need a mesa teacher to walk me through all this lol.. Did I mention I haven't shaved or slept for a week O_O

one other thing that i find really important with mesas (and just in general), dial in with your ears, NOT your eyes.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Yea that makes sense in a rhythm guitarist in the band so I palm mute alot, I've been going by that,its definitely an intimidating amp that's for sure
Marshall DSL40c
I made up a Mesa cheat-sheet with 1/2 dozen settings I like so it's easy to get "close". Then once in the room at volume, fine-tune with your ears.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by VirgoLife87

Lovely!
Mesas I've owned; Express 5:25, Stiletto Deuce, 2:90 and Triaxis, 20:20, 2:100 Rectifier and Rectifier Recording Pre, 2:95 and Studio Pre. All have been absolutely stellar once I got used to listening to them without worrying about where I thought the knobs should be. All took pedals incredibly well. I'm sure you will get many years enjoyment out of yours.
Various Strats
Polytone Mini Brute
Koch Studiotone XL
Swart STR Tweed
Quilter 101 Reverb and Mini
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1