So I'm trying to figure out something.

I made a reference to 12/16 and apparently that is equivalent to 3/4 can someone explain to me why this is the case?
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
basically this is down to pure maths...3/4 is waltz rhythm...12/16 then should be counting three bars of 3/4 waltz rhythm...consolidated and considered as one imo
Are you referring to a specific song?

12/16 is actually a compound meter, where you'd count four groups of three.

3/4 is a simple meter, three beats. If you wanted to divide it into sixteenths, each quarter note (base subdivision, hence the /4) can be divided 4 times
-> three groups of four.

--> they're not exactly equivalent, even though the fractions simplify to the same thing.
Whatever you were doing probably wasn't even 12/16 at any rate. Maybe 6/8.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
12/8 is equivalent to 4/4 in shuffle or swing rythm though.

(A shuffle rythm feels like triplets, you know:
Ta-ka-ta-Ta-ka-ta-Ta-ka-ta-Ta-ka-ta
but you don't play the middle note so you get a small pause instead:
Ta-  -ta-Ta-  -ta-Ta-  -ta-Ta-  -ta
So 12 notes/beats to the bar but it's easier to notate as 4/4.)

edited by mod so it doesn't go over the forum margins
I only see 12/16 making sense in a song that uses many time signatures but the 16th stays the same all the time. One example that comes to my mind is "The Mirror" by Dream Theater.

The guitar plays the same rhythm all the time, but the drums alternate between 4/4 and 12/16.

But otherwise I would notate 12/16 as 12/8 (I mean, if the whole song was in that time signature).

But yeah, 12/16 is divided in four groups of three 16th notes (3 + 3 + 3 + 3). If you compare that to 3/4, it's divided in three groups of four 16th notes (4 + 4 + 4). And that's the difference. So basically, in 12/16 (or 12/8) you have four beats per bar and in 3/4 you have three beats per bar. 12/16 (or 12/8) is basically closer to 4/4 than 3/4. You could think it as 4/4 with triplets.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
copperwreck..good example...the song.."I put a spell on you" ..screamin jay Hawkins..
play well

wolf
I actually have written a song that has several bars of 12/16 followed by a bar of 3/4. Both time signatures contain the same number of 16th notes, but it's how they're arranged that causes the difference. In the 12/16 bars, the pulse of the rhythm happens every three sixteenth notes, dividing the measure into four groups of three sixteenth notes (our four dotted eighth notes) for a triplet-y kind of shuffle feel, and the 3/4 bar is divided into three groups of four sixteenth notes (or three quarter notes) for more of a straight-quarter note feel. The 12/16 bars have a double-time feel compared with the one 3/4 bar, which feels as if it's at the proper tempo. Now, I could have notated the 12/16 bar as 6/8, or even double-time 12/8, but for the sake of the MIDI tempo map and not confusing anyone reading the notation by alternating between double-time eighth notes and sixteenth notes, I kept the whole thing at the same tempo, and logically speaking, 12/16 time just seemed right.
Q: Favourite Pink Floyd song?
A: The one where they get wicked high and play Emin and A for an hour.
Was listening to music and realized that this song fit perfectly with the topic:

Verses are in 12/16, choruses 3/4