I started out with a small Line 6 Spider IV amp as a beginner and it has served me well in my room for a couple years but I'm to the point now where it sounds terrible to me and it's time to upgrade. I still play mostly just as a hobby in my small room, and occasionally get together with another guitarist to jam to backing tracks.
What I liked about the Spider is that I could easily switch presets from Nirvana, to Tool, to Metallica, to Slipknot, etc through the foot pedal and not have to mess around with anything. Makes it fast and easy to play a lot of different kinds of songs and have a relatively close sound with minimal work and switch over.

So I'd like to be able to keep that functionality but improve the sound of the amp without having to turn it up so loud to sound good that my windows blow out (referring to the spider valve amp).

Anyone have any suggestions?
It all depends on your budget.

For the best bang for your buck in modeling I'd look at the Atomic Amplifire for $600 new ($500ish used) and run that into either the FX Return of another amp, a FRFR speaker like an active monitor wedge (Carvin, Peavey) or directly into the PA.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by metalmingee
It all depends on your budget.

For the best bang for your buck in modeling I'd look at the Atomic Amplifire for $600 new ($500ish used) and run that into either the FX Return of another amp, a FRFR speaker like an active monitor wedge (Carvin, Peavey) or directly into the PA.

Hmm interesting, I haven't heard of that before. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look into it. I was looking into the POD HD 500x and DT25 combo but I haven't found the combination in any stores around me to try it out yet.
if you have access to a PA system.

guitar --->Zoom G3 ---> PA.

Played a who gig doing metallica - iron maiden - ACDC - Thin Lizzy. Guitar straight to Zoom to PA with a Wah pedal in front of the Zoom, covered everything pretty well and will not break the bank. Can literally set up a ton of patches to the best tone for the given song/band you are after and jump around the patches.

Easy Life.

Having something to be able to monitor yourself if you are gigging would be pretty good as well mind so you could keep the spider and have the Zoom plugged into that for yourself when on stage.

Other than that anything the other guys say. haah
metalmingee
Quote by metalmingee

I would also recommend the Amplifire.
Quote by basudz
Hmm interesting, I haven't heard of that before. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look into it. I was looking into the POD HD 500x and DT25 combo but I haven't found the combination in any stores around me to try it out yet.

I've been using the PODs for years (and I'm up to four Variax guitars as well) -- near perfect setup for a cover band.

I'm not sure that the DT25 is the best option, and honestly I haven't seen much of the DT25 here in LA stores (such as the seven GC's we have within reasonable driving distance). I've actually been out to Calabasas and visited it at Line 6 headquarters, however. I've mostly used my modelers through a pair of powered studio monitors (in my case, KRK Rokit 8's), which have nearly the same frequency response as most of the front-of-house PA systems I play through. Since I also play keyboards (Korg Kronos and PA3X) and pretend that I can play bass, these work pretty well for all three. And, of course, they work for a big-screen TV, for gaming, and for MP3 playback, etc.

You do want to take a look at the Line 6 Helix, at Greg Delaune's custom patches for it, and at Ownhammer's IRs. The Helix is a chunk of change, admittedly, but it's worth it. Greg's patches are stunningly good (tons of YouTube vids and on his site) and will teach you new ways to think about how to set the Helix up. But IR's are really what's refining the whole business of matching other amps, cabinets and even instruments. One of Pete Thorn's casual videos (his Wednesday Q&A #20,

)

raised my eyebrows as to the possibilities I'd never considered. In it, Pete (who backs Chris Cornell, Melissa Ethridge, etc.) mentions that he picked up a *free* IR done of a Taylor guitar using a specific (Shoeps?) microphone. Pete owns a pretty decent Takamine with a built-in mike setup, but he radically changed the sound of his acoustic guitar by adding this IR. There's a recording of it with and without the IR. Check out that video at around 3:50 in.

I've been using IRs with an older Axe (Ultra) and with a Two-Notes Torpedo C.A.B. in conjunction with the Pod HD500, so I'd already been fairly involved in using IRs, but the Helix integrates all of this in really smart ways. I've had one on loan for a bit, now, and I'm busily selling off unused gear so that I can have two (one as a backup).
Last edited by dspellman at Sep 9, 2016,