I am sick of it lol, and I have heard they sucked... I want a new distortion pedal for metal.

I was going to go ahead and by the Blackstar DIST-X pedal that I have checked out on youtube and sounds really f'ing good.

But, I thought I would ask here about what people thought about what a good metal pedal would be... The heavier the better.
You dont need a distortion pedal. You can get a completely passable distortion out of the amp itself, since its a metal amp anyway. You might want to put some kind of overdrive in front of it anyway, just to tighten it up a bit. Any decent Tubescreamer would do, a copy or an original one.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
I've tried the amp distortion and I don't like it. It's not heavy enough... Even the MT-2 is better...
Maybe I will try again though man before I go out and buy a new metal pedal. I have a reverb and delay pedal I want to use with it as well. I usually plug them into the return at the back of the amp. Could you explain how I would set up everything in a way that everything would work properly? I am checking out tubescreamers now...
Quote by xdefectedx
It's not heavy enough...

This is a major red flag. Not heavy enough how? What kind of metal sound are you going for?
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
The 333XL is a Peavey JSX clone right? The JSX rips once you dial them in. . . The Peavey models have an active EQ and I'm not sure if the Bugera does or not - the manual isn't loading on their site.

I'd spend some time on the second channel. If the EQ is active start with all of the knobs at 10:30. Put the gain around 12:00. That should be pretty heavy and tweak from there.

A tubescreamer (Level High, Gain Off) will tighten things up more.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
What do you think of this as far as tube screamers go? Ibanez TS Mini Tube Screamer Mini
xdefectedx

They get decent reviews. My favorite right now is a Budda Zenman - it's a clean boost and Tubescreamer/Overdrive in one chassis.

For just a tubescreamer the Joyo Vintage Overdrive sounds fine and it's $30 new off of Amazon if you want to save some $. Just don't get a Bad Monkey - they suck tone like crazy when off.
Guitars:
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
xdefectedx
I'd start with gain on 0 (yes, all the way off) and the level/volume at about 3:00. Tone to taste but start with it at 12:00.
Guitars:
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
If you try the suggestions of our fellow UGers and still can't find the tone you seek, try these:

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Also, just in case...

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

The only problem would be going from clean to distortion straight away. I use a reverb pedal for my cleans so if I want to go back to distortion there would be a bit of playing around with footswitches to go to and from correct?

Question, could I use my MT-2 as a tubescreamer? with the gain all the way down?
Quote by xdefectedx
The only problem would be going from clean to distortion straight away. I use a reverb pedal for my cleans so if I want to go back to distortion there would be a bit of playing around with footswitches to go to and from correct?

You could use a device like these:
https://carlmartin.com/octa_switch_mk2/
https://carlmartin.com/octa-switch-mk3-2/

Short description: You plug pedals into the 8 slots in the back. Then, you use dip switches to control which of the pedals will be active in your signal chain for any 1 of 8 foot switches. So if footswitch 1 has the dip switches to slots 1, 4, and 8 allocated, stepping on footswitch 1 will add the pedals in positions 1, 4, and 8 ONLY to your chain. Likewise, if footswitch 4 has slots 1, 4, 6, & 7, again, ONLY those 4 slots will be added to your chain. IOW, triggering a single footswitch can activate or deactivate as many as 8 different pedal configurations.

They're pricey, but they work. Extremely well. Other companies make similar devices.

LOL, that octaswitch would be REALLY nice, but way too expensive. Looks like I'll be tap dancing around for a little while yet.

Still want to know, would my MT-2 be ok as a tubescreamer? with the gain all the way down?

Thanks guys, I appreciate all your responses!
doesn't your footswitch for the fx loop? my jsx does. that could take care of one stomp for a second anyway.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by xdefectedx

Question, could I use my MT-2 as a tubescreamer? with the gain all the way down?

I had the same problem. When i went from clean to distortion, i had to disengage the reverb, change the channel and turn on the overdrive. You get used to it, and with some clever positioning, you can pretty much press two pedals at once. And its only really important for live shows. But it is annoying as hell after a while.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Quote by xdefectedx
LOL, that octaswitch would be REALLY nice, but way too expensive. Looks like I'll be tap dancing around for a little while yet.

Like I said, there are other companies making similar devices that aren't as expensive:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PX-8Switcher

https://www.amazon.com/PXL-PRO-Programable-Control-Station-Switcher/dp/B00FC4BOKE

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003Y5A5GC?psc=1&smid=A2DQ6SL0SOX2YW

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Sep 10, 2016,
Kinda coming in late in the game...

OP - maybe you can try to blend in the MT-2 and the amp on crunch setting, so the amp and the pedal would be getting a part of the distortion, like set the MT-2 on half of your usual distortion and the amp on crunch and see how that fares. That's how most death metal guys did it. The overdrive trick should do as well...

Pusdyawot is fine as well for blending crunch and some gain from it but it is not cheap.
I used to have a Metal Zone, but I traded it in for the Electro-harmonix metal muff. Much better pedal. I also have a Boss Metal Core ML-2 which has a lot of "balls" to it.
THANK YOU GUYS for all your help. I am loving the sound I am getting from my Bugera amp now!

One problem, there is tons of feedback when I am playing in the distortion channel, is it worth getting some sort of noise suppressant?

Edit: I read on here that it could be the tubes. I have had the amp since '08 and never replaced them
Last edited by xdefectedx at Sep 10, 2016,
Quote by xdefectedx

Still want to know, would my MT-2 be ok as a tubescreamer? with the gain all the way down?

Thanks guys, I appreciate all your responses!

I use a Line 6 Uber Distortion in this manner. The good thing about that and the MT-2 is its got a good EQ section, so you can tweak. I don't think it'll ever be as good as a TS, but for a guy that cannot currently go out and buy a $100 TS, I get by with it. Gain on 6-9 o'clock, play with the EQ, adjust the level accordingly. I'm playing it through the clean channel on a DSL40c, with a bit of break up when my volume is all the way up.

But seriously, I would trade my amp for yours right away. Maybe roll some preamp tubes (which means buy a couple preamp tubes and swap them around and see how it adjusts your sound, you do not need to bias preamp tubes) and see how it goes. That is a very nice metal amp, and needs no pedal to boost it up.
Quote by xdefectedx
One problem, there is tons of feedback when I am playing in the distortion channel, is it worth getting some sort of noise suppressant?

This can be for multiple reasons. Does your guitar have single coil pickups? Are you muting correctly with both hands? Are you standing in front of the amp with the pickups pointing towards the speaker? Is the feedback happening while you are playing or is it a case of when you stop playing you get this loud humming noise? If it's the latter then yes a noise suppressor would fix that.

Quote by xdefectedx
Edit: I read on here that it could be the tubes. I have had the amp since '08 and never replaced them

Possible, but I would rule out everything else first before swapping the tubes.
It's happening all the time, no matter what. I walk 3 metres away from the amp with the guitar away from it, I try muting it and it happens when I am playing and when I am not. The amp guy said it's definitely not the tubes, he tested them. And I have double coil EMG's for pickups.
Quote by gorkyporky
This seems plenty heavy to me....

That is the Bugera 333 which is XXX clone. The amount of gain it has on ultra channel is ridiculous, 10 a clock is near too much even for death metal. 333XL (JSX) is more refined of the two. Still capable of metal of course but XXX is just more insane and probably would have been more to the OP's taste out of the box if metal zone was what he was used to up to that point.

Quote by xdefectedx

Yes you can. Thats what for example Cannibal Corpse does with their Mesa Rectifiers, boosting it with Keeley modded metal zones. Stock MT2 works too but is quite noisy.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3