Poll: Is it selfish to deny your parents grandchildren?
Poll Options
View poll results: Is it selfish to deny your parents grandchildren?
Yeah
5 8%
Nah
51 77%
A fish, a fish oh fishy oooooh
10 15%
Voters: 66.
Page 1 of 4
I was reading this article

Besides the cringey article title her article touches on how she can do what she wants when she wants. It sounds very self serving. Is it selfish to deny your parents grandchildren simply because you want to enjoy your life living on an island? (no man is an island, not even a bloody Ibiza) Has keeping the bloodline lost its meaning in this age to you?
She sounds like the worst person to sit beside on a train if your iPod battery goes flat.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
We literally can do whatever we want so long as it lies within the limits of our power.

They are not entitled to that, that is arguably not your purpose, and in any case children are not mobility scooters, birthday cards, or investments into care homes.

I ascribe no meaning to continuing my bloodline; if I were to raise a child I would expect it to be my ability to impart them with knowledge, courage and love, and their willingness to learn those things, that would be of greater significance and use to them and others regardless of what physical traits I can give them.
they're coming to take me away
ha-haaa
Last edited by Banjocal at Sep 9, 2016,
she's desperate to justify it to herself
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by StewieSwan
she's desperate to justify it to herself

Also, she seems to think that unplanned pregnancies don't happen to married couples.
Quote by Diemon Dave
I'm just imagining her sitting in a dark bedroom tapping away at her laptop, on the brink of tears next to her 5 cats, writing, "Oh my gosh my life is so fulfilled! Praise jebus!"
Quote by StewieSwan
I'm just imagining her sitting in a dark bedroom tapping away at her laptop, on the brink of tears next to her 5 cats, writing, "Oh my gosh my life is so fulfilled! Praise jebus!"
I think you mean 5 of her cats. The other 70 are in different rooms.

EDIT: Also, are the tears due to sadness, or the pervasive smell of cat piss?
Quote by Diemon Dave
old people usually smell of piss anyway who cares if it's theirs or the cat's
ha-haaa
Quote by Rebel Scum
I was reading this article

Besides the cringey article title her article touches on how she can do what she wants when she wants. It sounds very self serving. Is it selfish to deny your parents grandchildren simply because you want to enjoy your life living on an island? (no man is an island, not even a bloody Ibiza) Has keeping the bloodline lost its meaning in this age to you?

Is it selfish to bring a life into this world and expect them to produce something for you that they don't want for your own selfish reasons "I.E. I want grandchildren"?
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by Banjocal
old people usually smell of piss anyway who cares if it's theirs or the cat's
Old people smell of cabbage.
Quote by Diemon Dave
nope.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Is it selfish to bring a life into this world and expect them to produce something for you that they don't want for your own selfish reasons "I.E. I want grandchildren"?

m8 you've lost me. The article is speaking from the angle of being the child who isn't producing offspring here.
It's selfish to ask.

My mom would go on about how she wanted grandchildren. Then she started working at the children's shelter and, no lie, after a few months of working there she came back telling us she doesn't want grandchildren anymore lmao.

I think it's one of those things where the title of grandparent is more appealing than the practice of being one.

Thank God, too. I didn't want to explain to my mom how my waifu is a 2D character unable to birth in the 3D realm.
There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
basically yeah

Quote by Rebel Scum
m8 you've lost me. The article is speaking from the angle of being the child who isn't producing offspring here.
I think the point is - if you isolate that article from those I think it's fair to say very situationally general questions - that there's this attitude of "where are my grandchildren then?" from a lot of (or at least a significant amount of) parents, towards their children. It assumes that because they've raised their children, they're entitled to grandchildren in much the same way that children expect tuck shop money from mummy. At the end of the day the children never asked to be born so there's no contract, and the attitude robs the children of autonomy in the eyes of the adults, as though to say "this is the correct way to live a life".

which is just a bit boring u dig
ha-haaa
Last edited by Banjocal at Sep 9, 2016,
Quote by Rebel Scum

Wow.

I should've read that article first. That was.... what the fuck.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
It's selfish to ask.

My mom would go on about how she wanted grandchildren. Then she started working at the children's shelter and, no lie, after a few months of working there she came back telling us she doesn't want grandchildren anymore lmao.

Its different when they're not your own, even for grandparents. I don't think its selfish when asked as in jest (but really its a hint lol) but its stink if they're whacking you with a cane and demanding it if your single. Its not like a rabbit out of a hat is it.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Wow.

I should've read that article first. That was.... what the fuck.

Feel... the cringe
Quote by Rebel Scum
Its different when they're not your own, even for grandparents. I don't think its selfish when asked as in jest (but really its a hint lol) but its stink if they're whacking you with a cane and demanding it if your single. Its not like a rabbit out of a hat is it.
It is if the midwife has any sense of showmanship.
Quote by Diemon Dave
good question... something I definitely grapple with.

Still haven't broken the news to my parents yet.....

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
idk maybe it's selfish to have children.
like fuck i didn't ask to be born.
not that i am committed to never having children (because i'm fucking selfish) but the whole thing is kind of absurd & unsettling.
Quote by Xiaoxi
good question... something I definitely grapple with.

Still haven't broken the news to my parents yet.....

打死
Maybe hundreds of years ago during hereditary monarchies when lack of suitable offspring started wars there might have been a case for selfishness
Last edited by EyeNon15 at Sep 9, 2016,
My parents came from Scotland to Canada, the only ones in their family to move here. I don't want kids, and neither does my brother, so it's a bit sad that the family name will die out here I guess.
Quote by Tempoe
My parents came from Scotland to Canada, the only ones in their family to move here. I don't want kids, and neither does my brother, so it's a bit sad that the family name will die out here I guess.
it's a blessing to the rest of us
ha-haaa
if you're an only child, I could see this being a bigger deal. my brother has four kids and my sister has three. with the path I took in life before cleaning myself up, my parents are probably glad I didn't have kids. now I may be running out of time. do I regret it? maybe a little. I suppose if the right woman came along I could see it happening.

I also have two older cousins and a couple older friends that don't have kids so I don't feel like I'm completely screwed up not having kids either.

selfish to me is having kids that the state or your parents have to raise because you knew you weren't ready to have them
the thread title kind of betrays this attitude too: "Is it selfish to deny your parents grandchildren?"
ha-haaa
I think it is selfish to pressure your kids into having kids just cause you want the experience of being a grandparent or whatever. it's not about you, it's about the kids.
I don't think it is. There's a cousin on my dad's side who is continuing that family name, and my sister will most likely have children. I'm not having kids because of a genetic thing I don't want to pass on, and I honestly don't think I want children. If I get that urge then I can always assist with my sister's kids and pass on my knowledge that way. Having seen the medical portion of my childhood firsthand, I think they understand why I wouldn't take the chance of putting that on another person. I'm sure they'll be disappointed, but I don't think they'll view it as selfish.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
I'm sure that's a productive way to raise a child.
I really didn't want you kid, but I couldn't let anyone think I was selfish, so here we are.
the not carrying on your name and your identity in the world is where it gets a little depressing thinking about it. maybe its not as big a deal as I make it though.
I do get kind of sad thinking about not passing on various stuff and all that, but is it ethical to have a child strictly to satisfy your personal longing? I feel like we should put less stock into having children and more into raising them. People without children can still be teachers, legislators, mechanics, etc. Many jobs can be framed in a way that contributes to young people, but it seems like we solely focus on creating your own nuclear family.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
The selfishness is in wanting to pass on your lineage in a planet of billions of people.
What bloodline,? I don't know who my great grand parents were and I don't care, extended family lineage means nothing to me. I'm not totally keen on the crap shoot that is passing genes either.

I have a little brother who can have kids and young cousins who are always over (god knows why, there's nothing to do here but watch tv for them,) to deflect some of that shit off me.

However that article feels almost like a ruse, who cares what a 32 year old female wizard has to say. If she can make it another 18 years she'll be a lich.

My mom was pretty spot on in guessing what kind of person I'd grow up to be even when I was as young as 8, most of her predictions came true, including that I'd never be the type of person to have kids. My mom's not disappointed because she expected nothing from me.
Last edited by stratkat at Sep 9, 2016,
I bet she has a large collection of vibrators and carpal tunnel syndrome
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

I think its stupid to give birth to a child you don't want for the sake of your parents and it's certainly not fair on the child. In an ideal world people would only have children when they wanted them.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

Page 1 of 4