I just restrung and plugged in my one electric guitar today. I wrote something on my acoustic that I wanted to use effects with, so I was pumped. Then I plug in this peice of junk that came from a kit and I almost cry cos I wonder how I ever dealt with this shit. Broke and keep getting rejected for jobs, off to uni to get in debt, stuck with this peice of shit. I just feel fucking hopeless. I've been feeling really drained recently and this just killed me once and for all, i just don't know what to do with myself right now.
To bad to hear, Did you once have good equipment and how long have you been playing?
There, there. Poor you. *Pat pat*

Sounds like adolescent angst to me.
You have the ability to change your attitude and, with it, change your life.
Grow a pair and do it.
An old girlfriend used to say, "Help me, help me! Yes, I know I have two good hands, but I'm too busy wringing them!"
You can't get anywhere if you're on your knees.
It's your universe. Reshape it.
Last edited by dspellman at Sep 9, 2016,
Write a song about it.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Whatever, my first electric guitar was a Harmony Bobkat (Google it) I played it most of the time without an amp sneaking to use my brothers cheap plastic Teisco amp when he was working, no effects either your not the only person that has had to tolerate less than stellar equipment!
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Sep 9, 2016,
SHACH So what I hear is that you have to good hands to play guitar. You have an acoustic guitar and an electric and that you are skilled enough to write a song and picture how you want it to sound in your heard. As an adult male I don't know if I should hug you and talk you off the ledge or kick you in the butt for wallowing in self pity.
If I recall correctly, Jimi Hendrix started his road to stardom on an old 1 stringed ukulele that he found in some bin.
"He's A Nigerian Prince And He Wants Your Money"
My first guitar was an Alvarez acoustic that I played until the guitar tech told me it was cheaper to replace than repair.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Wow I wasn't expecting so many replies.

Quote by ZAKK602
To bad to hear, Did you once have good equipment and how long have you been playing?

Thanks Zak. Nope never had anything good. Been playing for aobut 3 years. Got the cheap (but well set up) acoustic for a birthday present back then and made the electric myself from kits the DT department had at school last school year. So the electric is both cheap, and set up by a total noob (myself).

Quote by dspellman
There, there. Poor you. *Pat pat*

Sounds like adolescent angst to me.
You have the ability to change your attitude and, with it, change your life.
Grow a pair and do it.
An old girlfriend used to say, "Help me, help me! Yes, I know I have two good hands, but I'm too busy wringing them!"
You can't get anywhere if you're on your knees.
It's your universe. Reshape it.

True. I keep trying to turn myself around a bit and then epicly failing. Hopefully eventually it will work out. I'm 18 so I feel like I should be growing out of teenage angst but.... I think it's just got worse haha. Things might work out if I can get a bloody job.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Write a song about it.

That made me laugh. Very sound advice. That is usually what I end up doing when something makes me miserable. Which is why this made me so very miserable because I feel like the cure to my misery has become the source of my misery. But I suppose I better go cure it again - write a song.

Quote by Evilnine
Whatever, my first electric guitar was a Harmony Bobkat (Google it) I played it most of the time without an amp sneaking to use my brothers cheap plastic Teisco amp when he was working, no effects either your not the only person that has had to tolerate less than stellar equipment!

This is also true. But did you make the bobkat yourself? Cos I'm not sure whether this thing even works properly. And I had to screw up ad down the bridge for ages cos something had gone wrong with that. Whatever, I get your point, we all have to put up with these things.

Quote by gsplsngr
SHACH So what I hear is that you have to good hands to play guitar. You have an acoustic guitar and an electric and that you are skilled enough to write a song and picture how you want it to sound in your heard. As an adult male I don't know if I should hug you and talk you off the ledge or kick you in the butt for wallowing in self pity.

Please talk me off the ledge haha. I do try to not wallow. I'm miserable all the time but pretty much everyone thinks I'm super cheerful, so I'm obviosuly keeping my miserable git self down.

Quote by SirEngelbert
If I recall correctly, Jimi Hendrix started his road to stardom on an old 1 stringed ukulele that he found in some bin.

Good story.
Quote by SHACH
Wow I wasn't expecting so many replies.

Thanks Zak. Nope never had anything good. Been playing for aobut 3 years. Got the cheap (but well set up) acoustic for a birthday present back then and made the electric myself from kits the DT department had at school last school year. So the electric is both cheap, and set up by a total noob (myself).

True. I keep trying to turn myself around a bit and then epicly failing. Hopefully eventually it will work out. I'm 18 so I feel like I should be growing out of teenage angst but.... I think it's just got worse haha. Things might work out if I can get a bloody job.

That made me laugh. Very sound advice. That is usually what I end up doing when something makes me miserable. Which is why this made me so very miserable because I feel like the cure to my misery has become the source of my misery. But I suppose I better go cure it again - write a song.

This is also true. But did you make the bobkat yourself? Cos I'm not sure whether this thing even works properly. And I had to screw up ad down the bridge for ages cos something had gone wrong with that. Whatever, I get your point, we all have to put up with these things.

Please talk me off the ledge haha. I do try to not wallow. I'm miserable all the time but pretty much everyone thinks I'm super cheerful, so I'm obviosuly keeping my miserable git self down.

Good story.

We are all just trying to give you a kick to get out of your funk sometimes it takes a swift kick in the a$s, I mowed grass for half the summer to buy that Bobkat it was in mint condition but still played like crap and my brother would beat me up when he found out I had been using his amp.

Anyway hang in there and chin up at least you have your acoustic
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Quote by SHACH

That made me laugh. Very sound advice. That is usually what I end up doing when something makes me miserable. Which is why this made me so very miserable because I feel like the cure to my misery has become the source of my misery. But I suppose I better go cure it again - write a song..

Getting frustrated just means your human. Just don't become this guy!

Quote by Evilnine
We are all just trying to give you a kick to get out of your funk sometimes it takes a swift kick in the a$s, I mowed grass for half the summer to buy that Bobkat it was in mint condition but still played like crap and my brother would beat me up when he found out I had been using his amp.

Luxury. my first electric was a total no name piece of 60s Japanese crap that made that Bobkat look like a Custom Shop guitar. action so high that slide players cried etc.

anyways OP you'll get something better plenty of cheap used guitars around so save a little and get something.
dannyalcatraz
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Getting frustrated just means your human. Just don't become this guy!

OCD is hilarious.
SHACH. Use the piece of shit to your advantage man. Shitty tones can be cool.
- Guitar(s) -
S-1 Schecter Diamond Series (Stock)
- Amps/Pedals -
Line 6 Spider IV 30w (Not ashamed) with MKII footswitch
Roland Micro Cube
- Strings -
Ernie Ball Regular 10s
sometimes you just need to work things out and they will pass. sometimes you need a kick in the ass, another times a beer.

go to the gas station, buy a six pack of shitty beer, and a pack of cigarettes and just unwind. tell yourself that when you wake up in the morning you are on a blank tablet, and live life anew.

it probably doesn't sound like good advice though. it doesn't look pretty either, but you will feel better.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Evilnine

Yeah thanks. Yep that acoustic is my friend. Never pisses me off like this dumb electric. I will keep it with me. My electric on the other hand... I would like the oppurtunity to take it to a show, play one shitty chord and then smash it to bits, pick up my new guitar, then do the show haha.

Quote by neurocide86
dannyalcatraz

OCD is hilarious.

That was sort of hilarious but also sort of worrying. I think he needs help.

Quote by SlappyHours
SHACH. Use the piece of shit to your advantage man. Shitty tones can be cool.

Yeah, with a fair bit of gain but not properly overdriven, I can sometimes fiddle it around so that the crunchiness of the sound sort of masks the shittiness. Or just... like every bit of it sounds dirty and fucked up in a sorta cool way haha. Properly overdriven though and the shittiness becomes deafening, but why would I do that to a strat anyway haha? Yesterday, I was trying to do cleaner verby tones... I was trying to make some post-punk vibes basically, cos I'm really into that. Then I realised that there's only like one amp setting where this thing sounds listenable.

Quote by trashedlostfdup
sometimes you just need to work things out and they will pass. sometimes you need a kick in the ass, another times a beer.

go to the gas station, buy a six pack of shitty beer, and a pack of cigarettes and just unwind. tell yourself that when you wake up in the morning you are on a blank tablet, and live life anew.

it probably doesn't sound like good advice though. it doesn't look pretty either, but you will feel better.

Thanks for the advice. I don't smoke. Well I have smoked weed at music festivals but not in normal life and not cigs. In terms of alcohol... I think I learnt back in February not to do that when I'm upset. I suppose if I had been drinking beer instead of straight vodka and rum that time it may have been less catastrophic... but I ended up throwing up for like 2 hours. I'm pretty glad my friends kept me awake or I think I would've had some serious problems. Being, pretty obviously, already very down since beginning of January, then shit going down that night, and then basically wrecking myself... no I didn't feel better, and tbh I was just depressed until Easter and so yeah, I'm trying to go onwards and upwards, so no thanks.
Don't worry, it took me about 30 years to comes to terms with electrics, and even then it was a convoluted path that got me there.. Try Slappyhours' advice of working with what you have. Poor musos all over the world produce great performances on awful instruments, it really is mostly in the fingers, Stop blaming your gear.
We've all been there.I used to play a nylon string classical with god awful action and my fingers were in pain every time i played.After that i never struggled with an F chord again.When i got my first Hohner electric and crappy 10 watt solid state amp years later i was the happiest kid alive.Make the best of what you have and never stop and make it your goal to one day get a better guitar.Make cash any way you can and save it.Wash some cars etc.
Wash some cars, mow some lawns, sell some drugs... Okay maybe not the last one.
Whoring yourself out is better than selling drugs.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Whoring yourself out is better than selling drugs.

Listening to the voice of experience, here...
Oooh! So much sass!
Quote by dspellman
Listening to the voice of experience, here...
Quote by Tony Done
Don't worry, it took me about 30 years to comes to terms with electrics, and even then it was a convoluted path that got me there.. Try Slappyhours' advice of working with what you have. Poor musos all over the world produce great performances on awful instruments, it really is mostly in the fingers, Stop blaming your gear.

I do hope it doesn't take me 30 years haha. Indeed, yes I should stop making excuses to lie on my bedroom floor like I am dead and not practice. Then the shit would probably seem less shitty.

Quote by EyeballPaul
We've all been there.I used to play a nylon string classical with god awful action and my fingers were in pain every time i played.After that i never struggled with an F chord again.When i got my first Hohner electric and crappy 10 watt solid state amp years later i was the happiest kid alive.Make the best of what you have and never stop and make it your goal to one day get a better guitar.Make cash any way you can and save it.Wash some cars etc.

Haha omg the action on this electric... I was fiddling with it to destroy the awful awful buzz today. And I did it sounds better. But now the action is so high I have lost all ability to play decent barre chords.

I think I would be less likely to go to prison for whoring than drug dealing - sound advice.

Thanks guys you have motivated me somewhat with your stories of rising up from the dust with your crappy guitars. Today I've been trying to play Still Ill by The Smiths. As I said, I fiddled with the bridge to remove some buzz and I had some patience with finding a tone that didn't sound awful, so I'm relatively happy apart from the fact that doing a little 3 string barre in the pre-chorus is destroying my hands because the action is so high haha. Feeling far less miserable about it all somehow. Thanks.
dannyalcatraz
Quote by dannyalcatraz
My first guitar was an Alvarez acoustic that I played until the guitar tech told me it was cheaper to replace than repair.

I've been the bearer of this news before. It's not a great time.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by Evilnine
Whatever, my first electric guitar was a Harmony Bobkat
hey me too.
Quote by JustRooster
dannyalcatraz

I've been the bearer of this news before. It's not a great time.

For me, it was a guy working at Charley's.
http://www.charleysguitar.com

I've never bought anything from then since that day. Not that they ticked me off or anything- they just sell quality stuff that doesn't interest me all that much. Good people & a good store, nonetheless.

Quote by SirEngelbert
Oooh! So much sass!

The first "s" in the last word was probably unnecessary....

Quote by dannyalcatraz
The first "s" in the last word was probably unnecessary....
Don't tell me how to live my life!
Quote by SirEngelbert
Don't tell me how to live my life!

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Sep 11, 2016,
dannyalcatraz You're not my father! Wait... are you?

Meme pix = internet hieroglyphics

Quote by SHACH
Well this got weird.
You should see some of the other threads in this forum, oh boy!
Quote by SHACH
Well this got weird.

Hmmm...

Write a song about it.