Page 1 of 2
This show deserves its own thread. Short sell: A coming of age Netflix Original about the birth of hip-hop told through the operatic and broad cinematic beats of superhero origin stories, set in late-70s run-down Bronx, with one episode dedicated entirely to the '77 blackout. Grandmaster Flash appears as a Bruce Lee-era hip-hop/kung fu/Chinese philosophy grandmaster.

Not sold? Here's a still from the show:

Still not sold? This is the motherfucking poster:

If you ain't sold, you're the worst.
Last edited by ali.guitarkid7 at Sep 9, 2016,
mama got a look at you and got a little worried papa got a look at you and got a little worried pastor got a look 'said y'all better hurry send her off to a little bible college in missouri and now you come back sayin' you know a little bit about everything they ever seemed to hope you'd never figure out eve ate the apple 'cause the apple was sweet what kinda god would ever keep a girl from getting what she needs and I im getting ready to get down
Where can I watch it? Is it on Netflix?
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Your days are numbered, bourgeois swine!
Yeah it's a Netflix original. After this and Stranger Things I'm convinced Netflix is god himself.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Yeah it's a Netflix original. After this and Stranger Things I'm convinced Netflix is god himself.

My wife and I binged watch the entire season of both watching each over the span of 3 nights each. We were 8 years old in 1977 so both were very familiar and accurate portrayals the nostalgia levels were off the charts!

I can't wait for the next seasons, I was about to give up on Netflix for choosing original programming over movies but these make me believe they are on the right track.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

I wouldn't do that. For real they got some of the best TV of the past decade. Take a look at these: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_original_programs_distributed_by_Netflix#Original_programming

They almost have too much of it. And their business model has contradicted much of the entertainment business, to the point where they've made so many others take risks.

And god damn if it didn't just culminate in this show. I was never anywhere near the seventies but I love seeing a bunch of characters try to define hip-hop before it existed. Now it's almost a universal artform.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
I wouldn't do that. For real they got some of the best TV of the past decade. Take a look at these: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_original_programs_distributed_by_Netflix#Original_programming

They almost have too much of it. And their business model has contradicted much of the entertainment business, to the point where they've made so many others take risks.

And god damn if it didn't just culminate in this show. I was never anywhere near the seventies but I love seeing a bunch of characters try to define hip-hop before it existed. Now it's almost a universal artform.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7

I really need to start watching more of these, before Stranger Things and The Get Down I had only watched OITNB. Netflix has managed to be innovative and reinvent itself to be the trendsetter, when I heard they were not renewing their contract with Epix I was thinking it was a mistake but damn The Get Down was as well written and directed as anything I have seen I was rivited and they captured the feel of the birth of hip hop perfectly.

It was very realistic and blended perfectly serious filmmaking with a touch of the classic 70s blacksploitation movies like Dolomite! I thought they did one helluva job capturing the Bronx in the late 70s, the poverty the street gangs the discotheques etc.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

I've been watching this after binging out on Stranger Things with the wife. It's giving me an appreciation for a form of music I never paid any attention to or had any interest in.
My Current Mains
- 1996 Fender Jag-Stang with EMG Pickups
- 1998 Fender Jaguar with Cool Rails
- 1982 Hondo Paul Dean II (DiMarzio Super II X2)
- 2010 "Fender" Jazzmaster (Home built)
- 2013 Squier VM Bass VI (stock)
Quote by Evilnine

It was very realistic and blended perfectly serious filmmaking with a touch of the classic 70s blacksploitation movies like Dolomite! I thought they did one helluva job capturing the Bronx in the late 70s, the poverty the street gangs the discotheques etc.

There's also the small references to other culture in the show, especially those that relate to now. The overlying politics, punk rock/anti-authoritarianism, glam Manhattanites, post-disco dance, destruction of community culture. Maybe it's cuz I wasn't there, but I see more of the present in this show than I see the past.

But most of all god damn if I don't love hip-hop being a superpower.
Quote by Mad-Mike_J83
I've been watching this after binging out on Stranger Things with the wife. It's giving me an appreciation for a form of music I never paid any attention to or had any interest in.

I was always into to rock and metal but I love the old school hip-hop from the 80s: LL Cool J, Run DMC, Curtis Blow, The Fat Boys, The Beastie Boys etc. Back when hip-hop was fun.
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

Quote by ali.guitarkid7
There's also the small references to other culture in the show, especially those that relate to now. The overlying politics, punk rock/anti-authoritarianism, glam Manhattanites, post-disco dance, destruction of community culture. Maybe it's cuz I wasn't there, but I see more of the present in this show than I see the past.

But most of all god damn if I don't love hip-hop being a superpower.

Yeah the past/present connection for me, maybe because I have been around for 47 years, is just an example of times changing more than human nature. That series was deep I could watch the whole thing again and I'm sure I would see things I missed the first time around, I thought the script and acting was second to none, it was fun, romantic, dramatic socially and politically relevant it ran the gammit and was honestly was of the best stories I've seen in a long damn time!
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

I think I'm sold
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote by Hydra150
I think I'm sold

Make sure you have time to watch more than one episode it is addictive!

Justice Smith plays the main character Ezekiel"Books"Figuero who faces some intense life decisions having to balance music and love with trying to find a way to climb out of the ghetto!
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Sep 9, 2016,
It might be a good show, but the presence of "hip hop" is enough reason for me to avoid it.
thanks ali if I have the chance I'll probably watch it

Quote by Pastafarian96
I an evety characyer in this story
Quote by TobusRex
It might be a good show, but the presence of "hip hop" is enough reason for me to avoid it.

Good lord

This show looks good.
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by TobusRex

are you for real
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
Quote by TobusRex
I'm glad so many of you are willing to give it a chance. It kinda flew under the radar, I only found out about it cuz of a critic I follow.

But anyway, spread the word. The first season's second half hasn't been released yet and I'm hoping audience share has nothing to do with that.
ah good

something that looks like it's worth watching

will report in tonight
they're coming to take me away
ha-haaa
I need to get around to watching this, been meaning to check it out for a while
The plan was to drink until the pain over.
But what's worse, the pain or the hangover?
Who am I? I'm a titan so be expectin' a clash.
This is next on my list after I finish Narcos. Should tide me over till Luke Cage.

Netflix' original stuff is just pure quality. The whole 'let's make an 8 hour movie you can pick up and drop off from at any time" approach is great from a storytelling perspective.

Be interested to see how it contrasts with HBO's Vinyl, which covered a similar period but from a mainly white perspective. As the series wore on though the story moved from an interesting look at the changing music scene to just how much debauchery Bobby Canavale and Ray Romano could get up to, which is typical HBO, compared with Netflix escalating things without losing sight of the original premise.
My old signature was too long. Have a daisy.

Last edited by RAB11 at Sep 10, 2016,
I didn't enjoy Vinyl nearly as much. The Get Down has a sense of vibrancy and joy removed from the rock n roll 'cool' of that show.
Looks funky I'll check it out
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

I watched the first episode before getting distracted by HOC and Narcos but I'm getting back to it. Man hip hop in the 70s was like a bottle of spring water in the middle of a desert where everyone also dresses terribly.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by TobusRex

State of this guy...

Decided to start watching it earlier, only had time to catch the first 45 mins of the first episode since its a long one, but I'm pretty sold so far
The plan was to drink until the pain over.
But what's worse, the pain or the hangover?
Who am I? I'm a titan so be expectin' a clash.
RE: Netflix originals am watching Narcos

show starts

stuff happens

in under 5 minutes there has been a stab at US political engagements

10/10 would watch again
ha-haaa
I keep getting it recommended on Netflix and I'm like eh but I might watch it now. Although my backlog is getting mad. Vikings, Jessica Jones, Narcos, Marco Polo and now this.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Jessica Jones was p good imo

it was cringe

but its a comic book show so maybe
ha-haaa
I unashamedly enjoy comic book shit
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

I've just caught up with Narcos and now I'm feeling up to watching another Netflix original. It'll certainly be a different feel, so I don't know if I'll give this show a chance.
Free Ali
Quote by Trowzaa
I unashamedly enjoy comic book shit
you'll be alright then. I was pretty skeptical of the Netflix Original idea at first but honestly they've done a huge amount of good for Marvel and comic book derived shows in general
ha-haaa
Watched the first episode last night, I like it
My God, it's full of stars!
I finished it up a couple of days ago. Really good
This tells the story of the origins of hip hop about as much as West Side Story tells the story of real street gangs.

Or as much as Rent is a realistic portrayal of junkie life.
Last edited by EyeNon15 at Sep 10, 2016,
Page 1 of 2