I'm going to make this short and sweet. I'm a real informal guitar player, I used to shred a lot on cheapest guitar and amp. My equipment was always shit but I knew eventually one day I'd be able to afford some better stuff. I don't know much about terminology, so that's probably why I'm having trouble searching for my answer.

I finally got ahead of my bills and went ahead and picked up an Epiphone Les Paul Standard and a Fender Mustang 1 amp. For someone who has many hobbies, I can only invest so much into music at one time.

Basically, I'm having trouble producing that Guns n' Roses powerful-chord-kind of distorted-but sounds clean- sound. (I know I'm like a 12 year old who heard GNR for the first time and thinks Slash is da man)

When I jammed on my buddy's Les Paul standard, I flipped the switch to treble and it would make that sound for me. Mine barely makes a difference. It makes it sound like an electric acoustic. I've messed around with all of the knobs (volume/tone for bridge/neck) and experimented with the amps settings. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. On my amp there are presets and, for example, the "American 90s" sounds good for the chords but sounds like crap when I'm playing the single notes throughout the song. One of my favorites to play and warm up to is Knockin on Heavens Door by GNR. It is supposed to sound clean until you get to the chorus then smash you with the heavy chords. Please don't say "its all in the way you play" because...no. And please don't tell me to get a different amp because 1) I can't and 2) I get the sound I want the only problem is I only want it part of the time though... which I was under the impression that the toggle switch would allow me to do

Thanks for reading
Last edited by sojiasx at Sep 9, 2016,
It's all in the way you play... and you need to get a different amp.

I'm confused... it seems like you have multiple things going on here. Is it that your bridge humbucker sounds weak? First recommendation... check your pickup height. You can adjust how close or far away the pickup is to/from the strings, that will make a difference.

Might be a wiring/electronics issue with the guitar. Open it up, wiggle some wires, if you have a meter, check pickups. Sometimes those things slip through quality control.

As far as your single notes go: that is partially technique, it's also partially the effects you use as well. There are things you can do to fill single notes out... boost, touch of chorus, flip to the neck pickup... etc.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
Quote by ThunderPunk
It's all in the way you play... and you need to get a different amp.

I'm confused... it seems like you have multiple things going on here. Is it that your bridge humbucker sounds weak? First recommendation... check your pickup height. You can adjust how close or far away the pickup is to/from the strings, that will make a difference.

Might be a wiring/electronics issue with the guitar. Open it up, wiggle some wires, if you have a meter, check pickups. Sometimes those things slip through quality control.

As far as your single notes go: that is partially technique, it's also partially the effects you use as well. There are things you can do to fill single notes out... boost, touch of chorus, flip to the neck pickup... etc.

Thanks for the reply.
Pickup heights are all measured to be about 6/64 inch. The switch is functioning because if I have neck pickup volume turned way down (0), and there's sound coming from the amp, the volume cuts out when I switch from bridge to neck. That must prove the bridge pickup is active. If that makes any sense.

I'm messing with the presets and they all either sound like an electric acoustic or a super fuzzy gainy electric. No in between. And through them all, toggling from neck to bridge seems to always make little difference.

I read that "British 80s" preset is reminiscent of Marshall amps (which is recommended for the GNR sound) but it just sounds extremely fuzzy.
the amp isn't doing you any favors.

as far as the pickups, lightly tap the pickup poles (gently of course) at each location, and what you hear make a tapping through the amp that pickups is on. that will get you started a little bit.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
What pickups do you have in each position? The neck pickup might be wired as split coil so it has a thinner sound. Do any of the pots have push/pull switches?
www.facebook.com/yourbadinfluence
Quote by trashedlostfdup
the amp isn't doing you any favors.

Right, but this amp has 24 adjustable presets and with technology these days, I am bound to be able to get in the ballpark at least.

Quote by 8Len8
What pickups do you have in each position? The neck pickup might be wired as split coil so it has a thinner sound. Do any of the pots have push/pull switches?

Treble switch is associated with bridge pickup and Rhythm with neck. I believe that's the standard and I confirmed it with your precision tapping method
I don't believe they're split coil because while shopping around, I noticed the very next model up had split coil features.
Last edited by sojiasx at Sep 10, 2016,
Update:
Using "British 60s" Preset, I have Volume near max and tone near max for the bridge... and low-medium volume and tone near max for the neck. It's giving me close to the sound I want. I still need to dial it in more. My only real concern is that for the solos, the notes sound slightly washed out, but if I turn the volume up for neck, it becomes fuzzy and I don't like that.

I guess if someone has experience with the Fender Mustang 1 (V2) amp then they can probably point me in the right direction.

EDIT: also using mod A1 (chorus) and reverb B1 (small room reverb)
sojiasx
Other way around for treble/rhythm.
Treble is the pickup closest to the bridge, rhythm is the pickup closest to the neck. Could be your switch that's just rotated around or that it was wired wrong in the first place. Or the little plate is just on it wrong. Switch down should be your bridge pickup, switch up should be neck.

What you can do with a Les Paul is dial in the knobs on the guitar so it sounds like you want with the same amp settings. I like to turn down the volume and tone on the bridge pickup down slightly and leave the neck as is and then run it into a bright sounding amp. Makes for a nice solo tone on the neck and doesn't sound too shrill and gainy on the bridge.
Quote by I K0nijn I
sojiasx
Other way around for treble/rhythm.
Treble is the pickup closest to the bridge, rhythm is the pickup closest to the neck. Could be your switch that's just rotated around or that it was wired wrong in the first place. Or the little plate is just on it wrong. Switch down should be your bridge pickup, switch up should be neck.

What you can do with a Les Paul is dial in the knobs on the guitar so it sounds like you want with the same amp settings. I like to turn down the volume and tone on the bridge pickup down slightly and leave the neck as is and then run it into a bright sounding amp. Makes for a nice solo tone on the neck and doesn't sound too shrill and gainy on the bridge.

Yes, you're right. That was my typo.

I'll try that method and get back to you.

EDIT: If I have bridge knobs turned to lower settings (like I understand you recommend) then flipping the switch to treble/bridge seems to have little effect. I want to be able to have full, clean, and bright rhythm notes in the verse/solos but rough heavy chords with the bridge.
I think the biggest problem I'm encountering is that I'll find a sound I like... but when I play multiple strings/notes at once, such as a chord, or fill notes, (I'm not sure if that's what they're called) I get an overwhelming static sound that seems to be unchanged when I alter the gain. It's lower when I lower the volume but then the actual volume is too low. I'm sure this is a very settings common problem, I just can't find a solution by searching the forums.
Do you have a way of recording the static you're talking about?

Can you give an idea of the tones you're looking for with some links from YouTube or whatever? From what I'm reading, it seems like switching presets mid-song might be what you need instead of just switching pickups and fiddling with the knobs.
I think you should take your guitar to your friend's place and try it on his amp, if it sounds right, then you know your culprit.

You could mess with the Volume knobs a bit on a Epi/Gibson - not go all the way, and try the middle position, rolling off more of the neck pickup and leaving some more bridge tone in it, say about 8 out of 10 bridge and 5 out of 10 neck on mid position where both are blended. See what you can do playing around with that. Look for a Marshall JCM800 setting (or British or British High Gain or I don't know what that modeling amp will call it) which is essentially what Slash uses.
Thanks guys. I think I have it mostly figured out. I understand I'm not going to get a perfect sound or even close to perfect without identical equipment as the sound I'm trying to emulate. It just took a few hours of fiddling around with the settings to get it as close as I can; I am satisfied for now.

All of your advice presented new perspectives and urged me to try different combinations, and therefore helped.

Quote by diabolical
say about 8 out of 10 bridge and 5 out of 10 neck on mid position where both are blended. See what you can do playing around with that. Look for a Marshall JCM800 setting (or British or British High Gain or I don't know what that modeling amp will call it) which is essentially what Slash uses.

This is basically what I ended up doing. I'm currently sitting on "British 60s" with moderate gain, bass turned pretty low 2.5, treble 8.5 (that combo gives me that hi-power crunch sound), and a little bit of chorus mod to fill up the notes. Additionally I found Bridge volume 9.5, tone 7.5, and neck volume 6, tone 9.5, seems to blend with each other quite well.

I'm not a big forum goer but from what I've seen there's a lot of negativity or arrogance when people get behind the keyboard but you guys were all helpful and I'll probably frequent here often since the community seems pretty legit.
diabolical That probably would be a big help but there's something to be said about doing the best with the cards you're dealt. It's definitely going to be my next purchase though.
Glad you got it sorted.

The only thing I'd say is, don't overthink the guitar settings too much- by all means tweak and learn how it sounds (that's just good general advice and will help your playing and ability to get sounds overall), but an awful lot of harder rock sounds (at least for the heavier bits) have the guitar's volume and tone controls up full, and usually you're using the bridge pickup for rhythm tones (so riffs and stuff like that) and for solos either the bridge pickup for the more screaming type of leads and the neck pickup for the mellower, smoother type of leads (slash uses both, you can normally tell by listening or look up youtube vids of live performances and look where the pickup selector is set).

and yeah you should be able to get into the ballpark with one of the marshall or hotrod marshall amp models i'd have thought. it's one thing not getting it exact, it's another not being able to get close at all (which normally means you're doing something wrong, as you said in an earlier post).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?