Hi All,

I just bought a Fairfield Circuitry Randy's Revenge Ring Modulator straight from the website. This is my first Ring Mod, and it's a super cool pedal so far.

The pedal is a little noisy. There is a faint (but present) 'Frequency Squeal' that changes pitch when turning the Freq knob. Just wondering if this is normal for a Ring Mod? I hope it is.

Any help would be appreciated.

-Major Bludd
Hmmmm...what are you playing through it? It could be that the pedal is sensitive enough to take the 60 cycle hum of singlecoilsand process it as if it were your playing.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
It's first in my Effects Loop on my Sunn Alpha 112. So it goes Ring Mod>Flanger>Delay1>Delay2>Reverb?Looper>Amp

I use Humbuckers
I got nuttin.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Weird. I'm just wondering if it's the nature of the beast. Maybe someone else can weigh in.

It's real noticeable when in Square Wave/High Oscillator mode.
I can bet that any hum coming through the guitar is being modulated. Have you tried rolling back the volume completely on one of the pickups and seeing if the pedal still does what you describe? If it doesn't, then that definitely means hum is being modulated, maybe putting a noise gate before the ring mod could help.
The above post is in terms of 'YMMV' and 'IMO', etc...

Quote by Offworld92
This debate is exhausting to read.
The guitar world is drowned in fairy dust.
We need to start at the very beginning. What is tone.
I meant that the hum going through the guitar could've been picked up and filtered (modulated) by the pedal. So it still does it even if you're not putting anything into the front of the pedal? Strange. If putting a noise gate in front doesn't work, I don't have any idea either. I've never owned a ring mod.
The above post is in terms of 'YMMV' and 'IMO', etc...

Quote by Offworld92
This debate is exhausting to read.
The guitar world is drowned in fairy dust.
We need to start at the very beginning. What is tone.
Have you contacted Fairfield Circuitry?

If it is a real ring mod (i mean using a diode ring for signal multiplication) there will always be some bleed through as ideal diodes dont exist - they will allow some current to pass in reverse bias and there is a (v small) lag in this response. Could implement some clever vca/envelope circuitry or similar in a pedal to prevent this, dunno if the fairfield has anything like that, as has been suggested best drop them an email about it.
Already sent them an E-Mail. Awaiting response.

Appreciate everyone's help. What would I do without you guys?