I put 2 songs in my music website: "Funky Cat" is the song on top, and "Something Better on the Other Side" is the next song down. Both songs have guitar, though "Something Better on the Other Side" is more guitar oriented. Please tell me how you like the music and how these songs can be improved, and I promise to return the favor. Here is the link:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=224436
Funky Cat is well named... sounds like some cats getting funky! Nice energy in the drums. Good 'crunch' on Something Better. You have a knack of integrating that 80s sound with something more modern. Overall good production quality.
The Cat is where it's at dude! Great vibe and a creative use of the various synths. "Something" has a good riff that drew me right in. The solo is good. IMHO back off on that vocal effect a bit.
I really like the bass in Funky Cat, and really cool sounding synths - which are mixed well and cut through well. At times the drum fills make things murky, and also they sound a bit fake. But other than that, cool song!

I love the riff and the guitar tone in "Something", super grungy; kinda Soundgarden/Mudhoney-esque. Killer solos! The bass sits nicely in the mix too, again the drums are a little too obviously fake. But yeah this riff is really catchy!
Both cool tunes, especially Funky Cat, ..really liked the keys. Nice heavy riff/solo's in 'Something'. Nice work with both tracks, catchy & and well produced too!
Funky Cat:
A lot of cool stuff going on sonically, the synths are pretty wild and I like the bass tone (especially at the start). A lot of good ideas going on in terms of writing, my only critique is that some parts sound a bit congested/busy. The second time around I was able to wrap my head around it all a bit better, but I feel that sometimes the drums have too much going on and the guitar and synth are competing for my attention in some bits. The guitar solo was nice and the outro was fun to listen to. Vocals were strong - I think I've told you this before but I'm getting a David Byrne vibe. Production/mix was fine, no complaints there.

Something Better on the Other Side:
Nice guitar tone and riff, definitely an older vibe. The leads were great in most places, some of the more staccato bits felt a bit too straight ahead for my taste but the majority of it was nice. Vocals are more aggressive in this one and interesting, I like your delivery/style. I like how this one is arranged, sounds like it could be played by a trio and you do a good job of letting the bass drive the rhythm under your leads. Once again production is solid, not too much I can really critique.

Overall, good songs. Performance and production are solid. Nothing jumps out at me directly as needing major improvement, but if you did want to work on them more I think they can only get better (although if you're like me, its too hard to stay focused on one song for too long).
Long time no hear from me AA

Both good tracks and as it's been a few years since I've been on here or other forums to hear your stuff your vocals are way better.You've improved no-end as has your playing.Everything is tight.As I'm only on my lap-top with ear-buds can't give a Crit on the mix but there's nothing glaring or harsh so Vgood
logicbdj, lungfruit, GirlGerms, GOE, elementwood89,
Thank you for commenting, I appreciate it!

sheppola1,
Good to hear from you, it has been a long time! I did not see a recent thread from you, so I guess I'll have to review your music on this thread. "The Closest Thing": certainly recognizable as your music: it all sounds very good! Are you still using Jam Sticks for drums or something else? The drums sound better to me. You sound like Lady Gaga sometimes? That must be a new one or a joke. "Best I Can": I've never heard you do anything like that harmonic guitar intro, that I recall. I like that this one rocks a bit harder than your usual style. Sounds very good! "Straticus" & "Requiem" sound very good also!
Last edited by aaron aardvark at Sep 19, 2016,
Hi, loving the synth work, really syncs well with the drums. Found the mix a bit bass heavy, making the drums sound a little muffled (although could have been my headphones). Really like the panning on the synths. Great guitar work. Quite a lot going on in this, and sometimes the synths drown some of the other stuff out, particularly towards the ends, ie, cant hear the drums clearly. Overall, have to say you have some talent to put that together, really complicated playing/lines, etc, all well thought out - really impressed ! A bit of some mixing to balance out and this would be great ! Review was on funky cat by the way.

Cheers

John
Funky cat:

Hey, great song! The synth parts are hilarious. Are they all improvised? Improvisation gives a certain freshness but sometimes having an actual structure prevents the melody from petering out or elements fighting each other.

The wah guitar has a cool tone but are they doubled or with a delay? It seems to have timing issues sometimes. It could be tightened a bit

I find the whole last third a bit busy. It seems like each element is going in a different direction. Sometimes it works but sometimes not as much. I don,t hear a unifying element between the different elements so it's like... ok first a drum riff... and then a synth riff... and then a guitar riff and then another synth riff and then that's it

I was going to say that it would be interesting to get a trained singer to have a go at the vocals but then I thought better. If Weird Al and Bob Dylan have one thing in common it's that very distinctive and imperfect voice gives them a certain flavor that defines them.
Thanks for the crit of my song!

Funky Cat is pretty trippy with all the laser sounds! I like it, though the bass seems to be a little off-time here and there. Not horribly so, but since it's one of the first things I hear, it sort of stood out.

With all of the things going on, I really feel like volumes need to be adjusted a bit. The synths toward the beginning and middle a lot louder than the drums and that sort of thing.

I think I'm on acid!

The last bit was pretty busy. Felt like the three synths weren't working well together. Maybe if you panned them more away from eachother, it would work a little better.
john.hoos.3, flexiblemile, and EddieWan,
Thank you for the reviews, I appreciate it! Are the synth parts improvised? Depends on how you define improvised. I just keep noodling around until I come up with something I like. The wah guitar parts are double-tracked, plus I think I have at least one of them with delay.
Hi Aaron, I like "Take Away 2".

The song definitely gives a psychedelic feeling. Great work on creating that atmosphere.

I like the way different instruments fit into the song. One thing I think that could improve is the mix of the voice into the whole song. Right now it is a bit dominant but to maintain the psychedelic feeling it should be considered another instrument in the mix.
Quote by aaron aardvark
logicbdj, lungfruit, GirlGerms, GOE, elementwood89,
Thank you for commenting, I appreciate it!

sheppola1,
Good to hear from you, it has been a long time! I did not see a recent thread from you, so I guess I'll have to review your music on this thread. "The Closest Thing": certainly recognizable as your music: it all sounds very good! Are you still using Jam Sticks for drums or something else? The drums sound better to me. You sound like Lady Gaga sometimes? That must be a new one or a joke. "Best I Can": I've never heard you do anything like that harmonic guitar intro, that I recall. I like that this one rocks a bit harder than your usual style. Sounds very good! "Straticus" & "Requiem" sound very good also!

Still using Jamstix AA but sometimes run a demo version of Addictive drums alongside it and steal some of it's sounds but not on those tracks
Sorry I didn't reply before but I don't always get notifications from here.Is there a way to set it globally so I don't have yo use the,"Thread Tools" every time?
Sorry it's taken so long, I knew I forgot to do something...

Funky Cat is quite out there. It is funky and the bass is good. The vocals are are very broad and unmistakable. At times when the grungey guitars kick in it puts me in mind of Neil Young, perhaps in a way his Trans album could've been.

Something Better: Yep, more conventional rock. I like the epic snare. The little bit of chorus I think it is on the guitars retrofies the overall feel to somewhere in the 80s. Nice soloing with some interesting phrasing and hair metal touches. Needs a more stadium ending IMO
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here