For whatever reason i'm most comfortable and play my best on a gibson sg. The fretboard just feels the right distance away from me, i played bass for 10 years before moving onto the guitar maybe that is why.
I've tried other guitars and own a few but they don't seem the same to play. I'm wondering if anyone knows of a few other models out there that are similar to the sg's design (the neck position not the body).
I guess the obvious answer would be to get another SG but i'm exploring different tonal possibility's.
Last edited by chrisazgo1 at Sep 10, 2016,
I'm puzzled. Do you mean it is the thinness of the body that makes the "fretboard...feel(s) the right distance away" from you?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I don't know, i thought the fret board was actually further away. Like a couple of inches to the left. I think its because the fret board starts on the very edge of the body, compared to a say - a les paul design, where the fretboard starts a lot closer to the cutaway.

Also i already have a p90 equiped one so i guess its 'get a humbucker one' i still wanted to find a different design though.
Last edited by chrisazgo1 at Sep 10, 2016,
It sounds like you're talking about upper fret access- how easy it is to use all the strings as far up the fretboard as possible. Am I right?

If so, there ate many options.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by chrisazgo1
I don't know, i thought the fret board was actually further away. Like a couple of inches to the left. I think its because the fret board starts on the very edge of the body, compared to a say - a les paul design, where the fretboard starts a lot closer to the cutaway.

Also i already have a p90 equiped one so i guess its 'get a humbucker one' i still wanted to find a different design though.

The SG's neck strap button is behind, I believe, the 20th fret or so.

Most people think that pushes the fretboard further to the left. It also contributes to making the guitar neck heavy.

If you're a bass player, that may seem pretty normal. But most guitar players that start with other guitars do not.
A strat has its neck strap button up around the 12th fret, a Les Paul has its near the 16th fret. But the LP has more neck angle (compared to the body) than either the SG or strat, both of which are "plank" guitars, and that effectively wraps the neck (slightly) around your body and makes getting to the first fret very easy on your arm.

So in order to find another guitar that has the same basic neck placement as the SG, you'll want to look first at where that strap button is placed.
Last edited by dspellman at Sep 10, 2016,
^ Yeah, pretty much. I thought that's what he meant, and I agree- you want to look for something which is similarish to the SG in terms of where the strap button is etc..
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?