Hey all. Looking to buy a guitar soon, need some advice. I made one of these last year but never got around to buying one. Hoping to this time around though!

What is my price range? I'm still in high school, so I don't have much money, just what I made from summer jobs. I have about $500-$600 immediately available, however I will have more come Christmas time.

Do I want new or used? I have absolutely no problem buying used, I've had great experiences with used stuff, especially when you can get better stuff at a better price

What type of music do I play? Ok, the difficult question. I play a TON of different stuff. I mainly play old blues and rock'n'roll, old school metal, and some newer heavier metal, but nothing much heavier than Metallica I'd say. My favorite artists are: Hendrix, SRV, Led Zeppelin, Metallica, Iron Maiden, Queen, and Alice in Chains, in no particular order. Each band has a different sort of sound, so I need something versatile.

What do I need it for? For now I'm just practicing at my house. However I do have friends that play occasionally, and I go and jam with them. I don't plan on gigging anytime soon, so I don't think that's necessary.

Hope this covers all necessary info. Also, forgot to add in, I have no problem buying online. Thanks in advance!
Last edited by dcsheehan at Sep 10, 2016,
What guitar are you playing now and what do you like and dislike about it?
Are you looking to nail the sound of those artists, or are you happy with getting a good tone and just playing their music?

I'd look for something with humbuckers for sure going off the info you've given. It won't be ideal for SRV and Hendrix, but if you're not too set on replicating their tones, it'll work just fine.

I'd go used for sure and look into something like a Les Paul Studio or an Ibanez Prestige.
I K0nijn I Right now playing with a Schecter Demon-6. I like it, has good metal tones. However I hate the active pickups, how heavy it is, and that there isn't any sort of tremolo or whammy bar. It doesn't give good clean sounds either. I know I won't replicate their tones without single coils, and I'm not too concerned. I like their distorted stuff anyway, and I'm not too worried about trying to imitate their exact sound, I just want something close that sounds good.

I'll look into those two, thanks for the suggestions!
Definitely would rather go for something like an Ibanez Prestige given that info. Most if not all have a trem system, aren't too heavy and are extremely versatile.

An HSH configuration would probably give you a bit of the single coil flavour in the 2 and 4 positions on the 5-way and of course give you the straight single coil on the third position.

Not sure how much they go and what exactly to look for, as I'm not an Ibanez aficionado, but I'm sure there are loads of people here that can help you with that. I'm pretty sure it should be in your budget and should you have left-over cash, you could also swap the pickups out of your Schecter if you'd want that.
I K0nijn I Sounds good. Where should I go for more Ibanez info? I really don't know anything about them.
If you haven't played a guitar with a middle pickup before like a strat style i recommend trying one first. The position of the middle pickup can cause problems for some people (myself included)
If you play at all with fingers or dig in a lot with your pick then it can get in the way.

You still have the option of a modern double humbucker guitar with a coil tap if you want a really versatile guitar still though.

There is also the ibanez AR series which has a massive amount of tonal options with its triple 3 way switches, i've never played one so cant comment. It might be a case of jack of all trades though and not really excel at anything.
If you play Old Blues and Rock'n Roll I would get a Epiphone ES they run and Guitar Center for about: Used $300-$375 New: $465 If you are playing all of those i would get a Evh Wolf Gang They have a Flyod rose Tremolo, a Locking Nut, Locking Tuners, 1 volume pot 1 tone pot, 2 Humbuckers and a Maple Neck. I found one New at a local guitar center for $550
Lots of good options from Godin & Reverend on Reverb.com.

https://reverb.com/marketplace/electric-guitars?query=Godin+max%3A650.00+min%3A400.00

https://reverb.com/marketplace/electric-guitars?query=Reverend+max%3A650.00+min%3A400.00

If you see something you like, you can quiz me for more info.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Sep 10, 2016,
The middle pickup got In my way when alternate picking, so I removed it and took out the springs that hold it up, and re-installed. Doesn't get in the way anymore, and it's easily reversible. Don't know how the setup looks with a pick guard, but I imagine you could find a similar solution
Quote by dcsheehan
I K0nijn I Right now playing with a Schecter Demon-6. I like it, has good metal tones. However I hate the active pickups, how heavy it is, and that there isn't any sort of tremolo or whammy bar. It doesn't give good clean sounds either. I know I won't replicate their tones without single coils, and I'm not too concerned. I like their distorted stuff anyway, and I'm not too worried about trying to imitate their exact sound, I just want something close that sounds good.

I'll look into those two, thanks for the suggestions!

You won't get their distorted sounds without single coils, either.

I am going to suggest some sort of a Stratocaster with an HSS Configuration . That will give you a huge array of tones and let you play anything you listed, plus you'll have a tremelo to play around with. You can nail the tones of Metallica, AND get the bluesy stuff of Hendrix and SRV