Hello there! So I had just replaced my guitar pickup, and then I set everything up to play perfectly. After about 5 minutes of playing or so, I started using the floyd to dive bomb and such and then I noticed my A string was detuned so far that it matched my bottom string. So I took off the clamps, retuned it, and locked it again. Same thing happened (It was as if I had no clamp). So I tried retuning for the third time and I noticed that when I tried to screw it back in, the threads from the screwhole for the E,A strings had come out, so I couldn't screw the clamp in anymore to use the floyd rose.

Basically, my first hole now can't hold a screw which means I can't use my floyd until I get it fixed. Does anyone know of any quick fixes for this that may work until I get a new nut for it?

Any advice is much appreciated!
Who needs shred when you've got rhythm guitar? :^)
Guitars:
Jackson King V (With a Wilde L500XL in the bridge)
Ibanez Iron Label RGIX27FEQM (7-string)
buy a new nut and know not to strip the new one.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
pretty much nothing if the screw is stripped.. i think buying a new Floyd Rose locking nut is best option for you.. just make sure you get the correct one.. http://www.wdmusic.com/media/floyd_rose_chart.html Hope this helps.
I have Washburn guitars 'Maverick Series' and bass 'Bantam Series' and a few pedals and amps, but man I wish to have more patience and drive practicing my playing, if it's equal to the modding itch, then I'm golden.
Your best bet is to just buy a new nut base and screw, the locking pyramids should still be okay; don't see much that can go wrong with those.
does the screw itself look gnarled up? You might be lucky and it could just be the screw threads that are messed up, rather than the thread on the base.

Kinda sounds really weird how you messed it up, considering the circumstances.
..I was watching my death.
Quote by timbit2006
Kinda sounds really weird how you messed it up, considering the circumstances.

Yeah I don't know how I messed it up. It's the actual screw slot so I'm just going to go ahead and buy a new nut (My jackson is a cheaper jackson so maybe that's why it messed up). I may have overtightened it but what happened was the threads at the top of the screw hole just came out in little bits.
Guitars:
It doesn't take a lot of torque to strip them in any circumstance. They're only tiny bolts.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
If the screw slot stripped, it's because you used the wrong hex tool.. a size smaller may be able to turn it but in the end the screw slot will eventually be stripped.. I had same thing happen to me.. not on a Floyd Rose Floating Trem, on a bass guitar. Anyways, you figure out the right solution.. just make sure you get correct size.
I have Washburn guitars 'Maverick Series' and bass 'Bantam Series' and a few pedals and amps, but man I wish to have more patience and drive practicing my playing, if it's equal to the modding itch, then I'm golden.
psp742
It's not the screw itself. It's the actual hole it goes into that's stripped
Guitars:
Oh, then buying a new locking nut is the only way to go..
Since you're about to change the nut, you also have opportunity to do some cool mods to the electronics, maybe a blender or mini-switch or push-pull pot to coil-split the humbuckers.
Quote by psp742
Since you're about to change the nut, you also have opportunity to do some cool mods to the electronics

Funny thing is that this broke right after I put in a new humbucker and did things with the electronics
Guitars:
What humbuckers did you install? Since you have a Jackson electric guitar with Floyd Rose, I assume it's HSH pickup configuration, and popular mod would be push-pull to coil split the humbuckers.. maybe even a toggle switch to make neck pickup active.. Japanese Jackson?

I only have one electric guitar with Floyd Rose locking tremolo. Its a Washburn Maverick BT-6 with Takeuchi Floyd Rose, I have fixed all the issues.. even had Jescar Stainless steel frets installed.. one of my favorite guitars.
psp742
The pickup configuration is two humbuckers w/o coil tapping. I'm not a huge fan of coil tapping because I find it unnecessary for what I play although I may try it later. The pickups I installed are Wilde L500XLs and they're absolute beasts
Guitars:
adexderOnce you've got your new nut, here's a tip: don't screw them too tight! just a few ticks with your pink should be enough. A lot of people think they have to screw them very tight in order to keep it in tune, but it really is the other way around. It works better when it is just holding the strings and not crushing them and it is going to last a lifetime this way.