I'm looking for a guitar that will be best suited to a wide range of songs/genres that I like to play and have narrowed it down to either a PRS CE 24, or the new Fender American Elite Shawbucker (HSS).

I play blues, classic rock, southern rock, rockabilly, 80's rock and metal, 90's grunge and hard rock, and modern metal. I have another guitar that sits between drop B and C when I'm playing some Slipknot and such, so this choice is purely for standard & drop D tuning.

I've played both and I love both, and the price tags are nearly the same with the PRS being slightly more expensive.
What do you guys think would be more fitting? Obviously I can do it all with either one of them, but would one do it better than the other or are pretty much on par with each other in this regard?
If you already have a HH guitar for drop tunings I would definitely go HSS on the other one.
"Well reeeer to you too sir...Its the internet. Do you really expect it to be completely serious?" - mcraddict81592
HSS..I'm a big fan of strats, though. Gotta have at least one guitar with some single coils if you want to play stuff like Mayer, SRV, David Gilmour etc.
We're just a battery for hire with the guitar fire
Ready and aimed at you
Pick up your balls and load up your cannon
For a twenty one gun salute
For those about to rock, FIRE!
We salute you
Quote by 21GunSalute
HSS..I'm a big fan of strats, though. Gotta have at least one guitar with some single coils if you want to play stuff like Mayer, SRV, David Gilmour etc.

That was a deciding factor me when I was trying to make a similar decision..Not that I couldn't play blues on a PRS but it's that gritty strat sound of the blues that I love so much from SRV and KWS..
Last edited by basudz at Sep 11, 2016,
I'd pick a PRS because I prefer humbuckers.

Additionally, I really like the split coil tones on my McCarty. Pretty much stopped using my Telecaster since getting it.

That said, the problem with the CE24 (IMO) is the neck pickup is in the wrong position for a lot of the music you listed. Due to the reduced fatness the neck in my Custom 24 is great for fluid shredding and stuff like that, but it doesn't have the warmth or the fullness you'd get out of the neck of Custom 22.
IMO, the PRS is nicer.

They're a bit snappier and brighter than a Custom 24 and the trems on them are incredible.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I'd think an acoustic electric or a hollow body would be more versatile than a solid body electric. If I'm wrong steer me clear.
^ not sure i'd agree... at least with electrics, I find solids more versatile. by that I mean they're able to do what the hollows do, but the hollows aren't as able to do what the solids do (not feed back mainly, but also they don't sound as tight to my ears, which i don't like for gainier tones).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Plus the necks on most hollowbody guitars don't allow as easy upper fret access, limiting you in terms of soloing and so on. If you only play pop or country, it would be good. Otherwise an electric's going to cover more genres.
We're just a battery for hire with the guitar fire
Ready and aimed at you
Pick up your balls and load up your cannon
For a twenty one gun salute
For those about to rock, FIRE!
We salute you
have you thought about an EBMM? they are right up there in my book. I would probably take on over the CE.

unfortunately I have not had the opportunity to try an elite yet though.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by sudzinsky
I'm looking for a guitar that will be best suited to a wide range of songs/genres that I like to play and have narrowed it down to either a PRS CE 24, or the new Fender American Elite Shawbucker (HSS).

You must be limited in your choices, then. One solution to this for me was a Carvin with an HSH pickup configuration, a five-way, and some miniswitches. MIne are neck-through, smooth neck heel, 24-fret (and one 22-fret), 25" scale (one is a 25.5") with ebony fretboards.

Another solution to this for me was the Line 6 Variax JTV89F. 24 frets, 25.5" scale, 16" radius, jumbo frets, wide/flat neck profile and two slightly hot humbuckers on a mahogany body with a satin-finish maple neck (very smooth rosewood fretboard). The neck heel is smoothed, but it's still a bolt-neck. In addition to the magnetic pickups, mine has piezos in the Floyd Rose (Graphtech) bridge, and these run through the Variax firmware. There are about 25 guitars modeled, including strats, LPs, SGs, ES 335s and 175s and even acoustics and both acoustic and electric 12-strings, and they do a helluva job with it. The tele model is dead-nuts perfect, to the point that Mutt Lange picked it over real teles for Shania Twain's first touring band. But wait, there's more. Check out what you can do with alternate tunings on this guitar. You never have to adjust string tension again, but you can do tunings down to bass and baritone and up to mandolin on this thing by rotating a switch. And that includes Drop tunings, Blues A, Open G, all that.
The amp and operator have more effect than the guitar on overall sound.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Quote by sudzinsky

I play blues, classic rock, southern rock, rockabilly, 80's rock and metal, 90's grunge and hard rock, and modern metal. I have another guitar that sits between drop B and C when I'm playing some Slipknot and such, so this choice is purely for standard & drop D tuning.

I've played both and I love both, and the price tags are nearly the same with the PRS being slightly more expensive.
What do you guys think would be more fitting? Obviously I can do it all with either one of them, but would one do it better than the other or are pretty much on par with each other in this regard?

From the two options you selected, I would recommend whichever one you PLAY better. Both are very versatile, I'd give a slight nod to the strat for the edge due to the additional pick-up position and I believe those new Elite's also have a few push/pull jobbies on them as well but I haven't tried one yet. For me it's whatever instrument speaks to you more, whichever one feels more natural and is going to let you express yourself without having to think about the physical or technical aspects of playing it.
-Signature Stratocaster 'Super Galaxy'
-2015 Ibanez RG655 Prestige
-1990 Jackson Fusion Pro (MIJ), Customized w/ JB, Vintage Rails & Little '59. Kill-switch mod replacing the mid-sweep.

Orange OR15
Orange PPC2x12
Effects: Vox Satchurator, Fullton Fatboost FB3, Dunlop Zakk Wylde Wah, Boss Waza Craft DM-2w Delay, Boss Super Chorus CH-1, Boss GE-7 Equalizer
Quote by Bhaok
The amp and operator have more effect than the guitar on overall sound.

That may be true where lots of gain is concerned, but not so much elsewhere.

This is one of the reasons why I have four Variax guitars (which offer pretty distinctive models of 24 instruments) and a whole lot of standard guitars.
^ Even when high gain is concerned there's a difference, at least if you're comparing very different guitars (say, a strat with low/vintage-output singles to something with EMG 81s). But yeah, you definitely can underestimate the guitar (which is ironic since the original aim behind the "the amp's more important" advice was to counteract the general overestimation of how much the guitar mattered ) and I'd certainly say, at least with certain models, you're really struggling if you don't have that guitar if that's the tone you want (or a variaxe or similar).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
the CE should have a 5 way rotary switch that gives you both strat (between the neck and middle, and between the middle and bridge) and traditional humbucker tones.

if that's "close enough" to you for a strat sound then either is truly an option.