Hi,
I just wanted an upgrade to my pickups on my esp Ltd mh1000-qmnt. Basswood body, rosewood fretboard, tom bridge (string through). Looking for some passive(both neck and bridge) under $200. I play dream theater, avenged sevenfold, pantera and some megadeth. My stock ones sound like shit. So help/advice needed to decide as I'm new to pickups and stuff.

Thanks
Last edited by manansharma04 at Sep 11, 2016,
Thread was moved to forum: Guitar Gear & Accessories
My God, it's full of stars!
MH100 or 1000? The 1000 comes with EMG's, which aren't for everyone, but certainly don't suck either.

If it's an MH100, I think it's important to decide wether or not that guitar is worth the upgrade to you. It's not an expensive guitar and investing 200 dollars worth of pickups won't suddenly make it worth 200 dollars more.

I'd think SD Distortions or a JB/Jazz set would be nice should you still want to upgrade.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Im thinking about a pickup swap as well. How do the Tesla pickups hold up? They seem incredibly cheap, about 50€ a pop, which is like 3 times cheaper than bareknuckles...
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
I have a VR-Extreme HB paired with 2 OPUS S1 singlecoils in a custom built hardtail. I use it for playing 80's hair-metal sounding stuff in New Standard Tuning.* They're capable of heavier stuff, too:

* which is CGDAEG
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Interesting. Im actually looking at something that doesnt have huge output, and has a lot of mids to it, but still has a lot of articulation with single notes. I was pretty much looking into the Bareknuckle Juggernauts, the EMG 57/66 set (i already have emg's installed, so it would be the easiest swap of all), and the Alumitone Deathbuckers (because they look amazing). On the other hand, im wondering if the difference from my emg 81/60 set is even worth the 300euro investment, since im actually pretty happy with my tone.

Sorry for hijacking the thread btw.
which amp are you using?
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
gorkyporky
I have standard Alumitones in one guitar and love them. They're supernaturally clean, hum-free even in singlecoil form, and yet can still handle distortion well. IMHO, despite being passive, Alumitones are a lot like EMGs, tonally speaking.

I'm going to be putting either a pair of Deathbuckers in a nice JKG Scorpius, or doing a HSS featuring a Deathbucker and a pair of standard Alumitones in a JKG mini-hollowbody. I'm strongly considering doing both...

My Scorpius

A closeup of his mini-hollowbody

A minihollow in black- the finish I'd order- is in the bottom right of this picture.

Here's a guy comparing Deathbuckers to EMGs.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Sep 13, 2016,
Quote by romeozdistress
which amp are you using?

If you mean me, i have a Engl powerball runing trough a randall oversized cab with vintage 30s. The tone is already awesome as hell, id just like a bit more clarity i guess, and a bit less high end bite. I want a really massive rhytm tone but still have it clear when i pick individual notes on the higer strings or pick weird chords. Thats why the juggernauts appeal to me, they were made for stuff like that.
Quote by gorkyporky
I want a really massive rhytm tone but still have it clear when i pick individual notes on the higer strings or pick weird chords.

You might really want to take a closer look at Railhammers, then.

Demos by Dennis Kayzer

Demos by Rick Beard

gorkyporky

Before you splurge for new pickups, have you tried the 18V mod, lowering the pickups, or rolling back the Volume and/or Tone knob on your guitar?
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
I dont have the 18V mod, but i did experiment with the pickup height. Im trying to stay away from rolling the volume for anything else but recording, because i really cant handle adjusting the volume while playing live and singing at the same time. But for recording i did, and it seems to do... something. I honestly dont really remember what exactly happens to the tone (besides getting less gain).
Quote by manansharma04
Hi,
I just wanted an upgrade to my pickups on my esp Ltd mh1000-qmnt. Basswood body, rosewood fretboard, tom bridge (string through). Looking for some passive(both neck and bridge) under $200. I play dream theater, avenged sevenfold, pantera and some megadeth. My stock ones sound like shit. So help/advice needed to decide as I'm new to pickups and stuff.

Thanks
What amp are you using?
It wouldn't be so much of a "waste" as it would be spending the money in the wrong order.

i was wondering what amp he has. because that could be the issue.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
i need an anvil for a LP. and i want a railhammer p90 for the neck. one of these days.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
i am not a fan of EMG Hz's.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by manansharma04
How would u guys rate invaders and crunch lab compared to jb/jazz

Invaders have a ton of mids, and very high output. The JB has upper mids (a sort of 'honky' sound that cuts through the mix well). Both the Invader and JB are sort of compressed-sounding. The Jazz is a classic scooped lower output pickup that remains tight with lots of gain, and also is un-compressed.
Dave @ Seymour Duncan
theres your problem, worry about getting a metal amp first.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Well, it's hard to tell for sure without installing them and seeing, but I always go with Seymour Duncans - either the Custom/Hybrid 59 and Black Winter Neck, or a Black Winter set. Partly because they'e great for metal (I play mostly progressive), but also because you can get a ton of other tones out of them (I also use them for blues/jazz as well). If you're hell bent on metal and that's the ONLY sound you're going for, I can HIGHLY recommend the Blackouts if you don't mind actives. They're a thousand times better than any EMG I've ever played, and they are absolutely, unapologetically metal pickups.

You should also consider an amp. Generally if I'm going metal, I'm not going anywhere near a Vox. Look at Peavey or (depending on your budget) Mesa Boogie. Blackstar is also a good, more affordable option for heavier tones. But pickups/guitar will give you about, between, 30-40% of your tone. The rest is amp and EQ/stomps. At least in my experience.

“We’re built of contradictions, all of us. It’s those opposing forces that give us strength, like an arch, each block pressing the next. Give me a man whose parts are all aligned in agreement and I’ll show you madness. We walk a narrow path, insanity to each side. A man without contradictions to balance him will soon veer off.”

silentfall.bandcamp.com
Last edited by an.interloper at Sep 18, 2016,
I'ᴍ ᴜsɪɴɢ ɪᴛ ɴᴏᴡ ᴀɴᴅ ɪᴛ's ᴀᴡᴇsᴏᴍᴇ! I'ᴠᴇ sɪɢɴᴇᴅ ᴜᴘ ғᴏʀ ᴍʏ ᴀᴄᴄᴏᴜɴᴛ ᴀɴᴅ ʜᴀᴠᴇ been bringing in fat paychecks. For real, my first week I made £302 and the second week I doubled it and then it kinda snowballed to £120 a day! ᴊᴜᴇᴛ ғᴏʟʟʟᴏᴡ ᴛʜᴇ ᴄᴏᴜʀsᴇ.. ᴛʜᴇʏ ᴡɪʟʟ ʜᴇʟᴘ ʏᴏᴜ ᴏᴜᴛ...

This is ᴡʜᴀᴛ I DO---------------- http://www.CashPay60.Com
All good suggestions, I have'nt tried the Railhammer's but I second those Lace Alumitone Deathbuckers..especially in the bridge of an alder guitar. I've got a couple in two of my H-S-S superstrats...awesome pickups.

Also just got a few 'Fokin' pickups from Russia which sound awesome & are pretty decently priced ( about $100 a a pair shipped) . Got mine on ebay ..& they sent me a free tee too

Just put this one (a "Saboteur" bridge) in my semi hollow & now it's a tap & shred machine

Rough/barebones improv recording with a cheap Zoom G1Xon multi-fx into my A/V handheld recorder..direct camera recording..no post prod.

Couple other demo's I did with them... (a "Hot Breeze" bridge & a "Rocket Queen" neck)

Not associated with them in any way at all ..but a head's up 'cuz they really are sweet pickups ...all of them
The Pegasus/Sentient set by SD is marketed toward progressive metal, and said to retain note clarity in high gain settings while still being heavy.

I've got a guitar loaded with them being shipped to me, and it'll be the first I try time I try them out, hoping I like them.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
It wouldn't be so much of a "waste" as it would be spending the money in the wrong order.

Pretty much this.

And do you have a 100 or 1000 series LTD? Don't the 1000 come with either EMGs or JB/59 for stock pickups? While not to everyone's particular tastes, those 2 sets are still good. So I'm guessing it's a 100 series. I always find it hard recommending a pickup swap on lower priced guitars. A good set plus installation would be more than 50% of the price of the guitar. That being said, when you do decide to buy a better guitar you can always use those good pickups in it as well.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Quote by romeozdistress
theres your problem, worry about getting a metal amp first.
Quote by manansharma04
Will Lane Vox vx II
Seriously, I do not know how you guys have gotten so far into pup selection when the amp in question is the VX II. I guess gorkyporky did hijack the thread though. The VOX modeling stuff is reasonable but I would invest in a better amp first before worrying about pickups.
Exactly
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Report: got the 57/66 set. They sound amazing. No regrets.
gorkyporky

I've been eyeballing a set of those! You have a Powerball right? Any chance of you doing a review of the 57/66 through all of the channels and most of the tones - cleans, bluesy, crunch, metal, leads, etc?
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Well my recording skills arent really that good, but i could give it a shot. I hope i can do it during the weekend tho, otherwise you are gonna have to wait a week, cause im going away .