Hey guys,

I have just sign up here and I hope that I am not completly wrong by posting it here! I am a big fan of the Red Hot Chili Peppers and own a Fender Stratocaster Classic Series '60s and a Yamaha THR10 amp. I tried a lot of ways to get closer and closer to the sound of Johns or Joshs guitar, but it's not enough in my opinion. While I like my settings for "Under the Bridge" and stuff like that, I am not confident with my Settings for more funky/crazy stuff like "Can't Stop"... What i did is: I chose the "Crunshy" mode to get this little overdrive which his "clean"/normal sound has (clean is the false word). Also I turned down treble and mids and turned up bass. I have Gain at 5-7, otherwise my AMP is very silent and I can't hear much. And of course I take the bridge pickup. Also I know his technique about hitting all strings and mute every string, which dont play a "note"...
My problem is to get his very roomfilling sound, but keep it nearly "clean". I hope you know what I mean!

I would enjoy if anyone with maybe the same amp could help me out! I appreciate every try to help!

Much love,
Maurice

Can't Stop by RHCP:
Part of your issue is the amp. Yamaha THR10 ampS are nice, but they're not going to have the same punch as what Froosh uses,

He's probably also thickening his tone with subtle delay & octave effects.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I don't have a similar amp, so I don't know for sure, but turning up the bass and turning down treble and mids doesn't sound like the right approach to me - Frusciante's overdriven sounds tend to be quite bright and, for the most part, Marshall-based, so you want to keep the treble and mids in there and you want your gain at such a level that a gently picked note will come out pretty much clean, but a chord strummed hard will have a fair bit of "hair" on it.

Another thing to consider is that Froosh's sound (fuzz pedal usage excepted, of course) isn't room filling. If you listen to the Blood Sugar Sex Magik album you'll notice that with the very dry production there's a lot of "space" in the overall sound. Two big advantages Frusciante has on a track like Can't Stop are, first of all, Flea playing something very similar to his part that fills out a lot of the frequencies John's guitar doesn't get and, secondly, studio compression that, while not at Californication's heinous levels, helps to fill out the overall sound.

Another thought - I believe Frusciante tended to use one of his Custom Teles to play that song live (certainly he did on the Slane Castle video), and Teles tend to have hotter bridge pickups than Strats. Perhaps consider a clean boost or using a different pickup switch position or something; it costs nothing to experiment in the latter department.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Last edited by K33nbl4d3 at Sep 11, 2016,
Thanks a lot for those answers!

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Part of your issue is the amp. Yamaha THR10 ampS are nice, but they're not going to have the same punch as what Froosh uses,

He's probably also thickening his tone with subtle delay & octave effects.
There are many options, which you can change in the THR-Editor. Do you have any idea what could help out there? For example I can change between options like "4x12 American", "2x12 American" and same thing with "British" instead of "American". My ear said something like 2x12 American fits best but I'm not sure about it. I dont have many experiences there. What's your opinion on things like that?

Quote by K33nbl4d3
I don't have a similar amp, so I don't know for sure, but turning up the bass and turning down treble and mids doesn't sound like the right approach to me - Frusciante's overdriven sounds tend to be quite bright and, for the most part, Marshall-based, so you want to keep the treble and mids in there and you want your gain at such a level that a gently picked note will come out pretty much clean, but a chord strummed hard will have a fair bit of "hair" on it.

Another thing to consider is that Froosh's sound (fuzz pedal usage excepted, of course) isn't room filling. If you listen to the Blood Sugar Sex Magik album you'll notice that with the very dry production there's a lot of "space" in the overall sound. Two big advantages Frusciante has on a track like Can't Stop are, first of all, Flea playing something very similar to his part that fills out a lot of the frequencies John's guitar doesn't get and, secondly, studio compression that, while not at Californication's heinous levels, helps to fill out the overall sound.

Another thought - I believe Frusciante tended to use one of his Custom Teles to play that song live (certainly he did on the Slane Castle video), and Teles tend to have hotter bridge pickups than Strats. Perhaps consider a clean boost or using a different pickup switch position or something; it costs nothing to experiment in the latter department.

Yea, I also thought that as i started testing around a bit. But the Bridge pickup was already pretty bright by hisself so I turned treble down. But I will definetly try a little bit around again with this treble setting.
About the roomfilling thing: Yea you are right but I guess his sound got a little bit more overdrive and this "filling" aspect since his rejoin. The thing with the bass as a backup may be true but if I hear him playing the first time the main riff without the bass, It also sounds very "full".

The thing with the Telecaster is very interesting thank you for that hint!
Clean boost? I dont own a pedal yet. Do you mean for example this "mini amp"? I am not sure but I guess it also was in dannyalcatrazs link...

Thanks a lot for your help mates! I'll definitely keep testing around.
Maurice
I'd have to guess 2x12 American.

A "clean boost" is a kind of overdrive pedal, specifically one that doesn't color your sound much. In a sense, they just make it sound like your guitar is more like an idealized vision of itself.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
the bass is providing a lot of what you are hearing. flea is a beast.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by uohkikis
About the roomfilling thing: Yea you are right but I guess his sound got a little bit more overdrive and this "filling" aspect since his rejoin. The thing with the bass as a backup may be true but if I hear him playing the first time the main riff without the bass, It also sounds very "full".

Stage rig: Marshall Major (200W), 2xSilver Jubilee (2x100W) into 6 4x12 cabs.
Studio rig: Marshalls of all kinds, double-triple-6+ tracked and treated on tape with hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of studio equipment.

It's tough to simulate that kind of power and studio magic. A good little trick for the "loud amp in a small room" feel is to use a room or a plate reverb sim with the mix high and the decay quite short. I'd also try using the middle pickup on your strat. You could also try the "brit hi" mode with the gain way down, not sure what it's simulating but it's worth a try.