Poll: Was Firefly as good as people say?
Poll Options
View poll results: Was Firefly as good as people say?
Yes
14 70%
No
3 15%
Never seen it so I should probably go watch the series seriously you can do it in like a weekend
3 15%
Voters: 20.
Page 2 of 2
Quote by slapsymcdougal
The thing is, it's not really Starbuck back from the dead, because there's a scene with Starbuck, the wreckage of her Viper and the charred corpse of Starbuck, so it doesn't really fit the sort of standard messianic tropes.

So what is Starbuck

She's not a human and she's not a cylon so what is she

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Back OT with Firefly, I agree with the early post in that the great shame is how good it could have been. I came to it very late (only got round to watching it last year although social media bombarded me with references. I'd watched Serenity when it came out without really knowing what it was about).

Each episode in that season was very self-contained and that was great, you got a sort of story arc with River but that never paid off, even in the film, we only got glimpses of the larger plot and universe. But the characters, the stories, and the surface of that universe was great and I can definitely see why fans who came to it at the time are so hurt by it because it was such an abrupt end.
My old signature was too long. Have a daisy.

Quote by RAB11
Back OT with Firefly, I agree with the early post in that the great shame is how good it could have been. I came to it very late (only got round to watching it last year although social media bombarded me with references. I'd watched Serenity when it came out without really knowing what it was about).

Each episode in that season was very self-contained and that was great, you got a sort of story arc with River but that never paid off, even in the film, we only got glimpses of the larger plot and universe. But the characters, the stories, and the surface of that universe was great and I can definitely see why fans who came to it at the time are so hurt by it because it was such an abrupt end.

Yeah that's hit the nail on the head pretty much. It was quality after one season and obviously sci-fi shows take a bit of time to find their boots so after 2 or 3 seasons it could've been great. Every episode was extremely well written, the characters played off each other well, and everyone was likable in their own way.

It's obviously entirely possible it could have been crap after the first season and they'd blown all their ideas…but the show was wonderful and had so much room for growth and scope and I don't believe that's the case.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Yeah you could tell Whedon wanted us to get to know the characters and sort of introduce us to the wider universe in the first series, but had big ideas as it went on. The stuff he explored in Serenity is proof enough of that but even then he couldn't properly see it through because he was restricted by a 2 hour film that needed to wrap everything up nicely.

But much as it had the potential for it to be this big, wide story I also think a lot of the charm comes from the fact the series is just 'look at this small group of people, let's just see what they get up to without any endgame' and that's very refreshing. It was a show about space outlaws just being space outlaws without some big bad in the background or a final showdown or whatever and that's what probably set it apart at the time, because normally you'd have to go for a straight up sitcom for that to happen.

Yeah it's a big contrast from a lot of other sci fi shows which are mainly story arc based. Just look at Battlestar Galactica or any of the recent Netflix series that have come out - there's not a lot of breathing room where the characters can just be themselves or have a fun little moment being people.

I think Star Trek's episodic stuff is hit and miss personally - a lot of it is really good, touching stuff where you get to know the characters well (more so in DS9 than in VOY or TNG) but a lot of it is really boring too and the story arc episodes are generally just better.

Not so with Firefly. Every episode was just fun regardless of if it advanced the greater story or not.

If they did a sequel series on Netflix or something nowadays I'm not quite sure it would be the same you know?

Quote by EndTheRapture51
If they did a sequel series on Netflix or something nowadays I'm not quite sure it would be the same you know?

Not after Serenity
Quote by BelowTheSun
Not after Serenity

They could always say Serenity never happened and bring them both back

Serenity is too good to dismiss though. What do you think it is, Star Trek: Into Darkness?
Quote by EndTheRapture51
They could always say Serenity never happened and bring them both back

Or just set it between the two. Nathan Fillion's let himself go a bit but the rest of them all look believable enough I think.

Quote by BelowTheSun
Serenity is too good to dismiss though. What do you think it is, Star Trek: Into Darkness?

ftfy

Yeah Serenity was a fantastic film imo. Watched it before I saw Firefly and enjoyed it. Watched it after Firefly and it was even more enjoyable.

Into Darkness was such a painfully average cash in on Wrath of Khan. Shame cos I actually really enjoyed Star Trek 09.

Is Beyond any good btw?

Last edited by EndTheRapture51 at Sep 12, 2016,
Firefly is good but it's been spoiled by people suggesting that it's so much more than that. It's good in that old "7pm on BBC2" sort of way.

Quote by BelowTheSun
Not when Gotham exists.

I found Gotham to be watchable shite. I fully accept that everything about it is terrible but it's kind of fun to watch how terrible it can be. You've got some top actors hamming it up in there too. Last time I checked in with Arrow it was just awful melodramatic shite. It did get hard to watch so that's why I'm a whole series behind with no intent to ever catch up.

I too mourn the loss of a proper Gotham Central show though. It could have worked really well.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Into Darkness was such a painfully average cash in on Wrath of Khan. Shame cos I actually really enjoyed Star Trek 09.

Is Beyond any good btw?

I kinda liked Into Darkness on a first watch, but every time I've seen it since its slipped lower and lower in quality, to the point where I'd now rather watch fucking Nemesis or The Final Frontier again before I put myself through that dour pile of shit.

Beyond is the best Trek movie since First Contact, and the first to properly use the fantastic modern cast.
Quote by BelowTheSun
I kinda liked Into Darkness on a first watch, but every time I've seen it since its slipped lower and lower in quality, to the point where I'd now rather watch fucking Nemesis or The Final Frontier again before I put myself through that dour pile of shit.

Beyond is the best Trek movie since First Contact, and the first to properly use the fantastic modern cast.
RIP Anton
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by OddOneOut
I wouldn't say Starbuck is unexplained. She's represented in a way that only really leaves you with one explanation, and it's shit.

Anyway. Jaynestown is not my favourite episode. I'm just not that sold on Jayne.

is it cuz he made a genuinely funny rape joke?

Quote by EndTheRapture51
Is Beyond any good btw?

For the most part, yeah. And I HATE the new ones.
PM me for newts
Last edited by StewieSwan at Sep 12, 2016,
Page 2 of 2