My audio interface is Esi Maya 44. It has 4 line inputs (jacks, no XLR), or one of them can be configured to be a balanced mic preamp with phantom power. How do I connect a guitar to that interface?

I am good at DIY, I have built a few guitar effects, so I wonder if just a JFET buffer would be enough ?
There are 2 problems with cheap DI boxes:
1. They can often sound cheap
2. They have an XLR output and my interface doesn`t have an XLR input. Also the only XLR - Jack cables I could find use a mono jack, so what`s the point of balancing the signal anyways then.
I'd imagine you need to bring guitar signal to line level and that is usually done via DI box. In your case sounds like unbalanced xlt to 1/4 mono jack for coming out of the back of the DI box. I wouldn't worry about balanced for guitar.
Quote by diabolical
I'd imagine you need to bring guitar signal to line level and that is usually done via DI box. In your case sounds like unbalanced xlt to 1/4 mono jack for coming out of the back of the DI box. I wouldn't worry about balanced for guitar.

Unless he´s using active pickups, those bastards will clip like crazy! the only way to solve that is a DI box
Actually, guitar straight into the Line input with no gain is still well below the clipping treshold. I built myself a little jfet buffer, it brings some high end back, and I assume it matches the impedance quite good. This buffer has imput impedance of 500K, and output resistance of 133 Ohms. The audio interface`s Line input has an impedance of 10K which means the signal isn`t loaded and there is no loss of high end. Also it`s not adding any noise compared to guitar straight into Line in. I believe it`s better than a cheap DI-Box which would probably distort the signal because of cheap elements used to build it.

I haven`t tried plugging it into the mic pre with gain at 0dB. The mic input has an impedance of 3K ohms, maybe that will bring the noise a bit lower.
Last edited by ArturPr at Sep 14, 2016,
The microphone preamp minimal gain is more than 0, and is sufficient to clip. With the buffer and line input it works fine. Now does anyone know of a fancy studio buffer design? :p