This problem exists only in one of my guitars: When I play on frets 11-14 on the high E string, the sound isn`t constant, but instead it has a flutter quality to it. Sort of like a delicate whammy bar flutter or 2 sounds of very close frequencies. It makes this guitar useless for playing slower parts in that region, and intonation can`t really be adjusted properly on the E string. Where the hell does that flutter come from?
It's caused by poor intonation.

What's the guitar in question? Why can you not adjust the intonation?
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
it`s not poor intonation. If I play E string 12th fret ALONE, it flutters. But 17th fret B string ALONE does NOT ( it`s exactly the same note ). It can`t be intonated because the tuner goes nuts when it "hears" a fluttery sound.

EDIT: The guitar is a Flame EXG-1. You probably won`t find much info about it, but it`s basically a clone of an ibanez superstrat. Floyd rose, HSH pickups, bolt on maple neck with rosewood fingerboard. Body is Alder or Ash, I am not sure. The pickups are Schaller 2in1, ceramic, very high output ( they sorta suck ). The bridge is a Schaller version of Floyd Rose special. (BRIDGE IS LOCKED). Hope this info helps
Last edited by ArturPr at Sep 11, 2016,
You can expect a different string on a different fret to have different intonation.

Can you record a sound clip?
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
It sounds very much like an intonation problem just from my personal experience with that effect. The only other thing I can suggest is restringing the guitar, re-setting it up and experimenting with the intonation setup until the problem disappears. There isn't much other information to go off.
Quote by TheSennaj
Damping it doesn't help. It's also not an intonation problem either because it's only a single note being played...... Pickups magnetic pull? I have to try moving them very far away
is it the springs resonating?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
can you hear it if you are not plugged in (in other words acousticly)?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Have you changed the strings? Always start simple.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by trashedlostfdup
is it the springs resonating?

Nope.

Quote by trashedlostfdup
can you hear it if you are not plugged in (in other words acousticly)?

Ummmm it`s very subtle when unplugged, but I think I can hear it when I focus on it. I think it may be the pickup doing werid things to my tone but the issue happens on both bridge and neck pickups.

Quote by metalmingee
Have you changed the strings? Always start simple.

No, I didn`t. They are about a month old but they are NYXL and I cleaned them after playing (the guitar wasn`t played often, maybe once in a week or so, the strings are still shiny)
High fret just above that one.

If possible, or not too hard, you could try raising that one saddle a bit and see if it goes away, or get a hammer and a wooden dowel and lightly tap each fret above that one a couple of times, to seat them a bit better.

You might also check neck relief, but I would expect that to cause fret buzz a little lower down the neck, 8 to 10th fret area. I'd check it anyway.

Another idea might be to temporarily put a small piece of paper under the bridge saddle to raise that string a little and see if it goes away.

I can't think of anything else right now, but it sounds a lot like a fret buzz going on. I Had a similar one on my acoustic, the neck had a hump just where the neck joins the body that was visible once I heard it and started looking,.

If this is a set neck, not bolt on, that's possible too, and in the right area. Look down the neck from the headstock, see if it has a slight visible hump just where the neck joins the body. I've never seen it on a bolt on neck, set necks seem to be the only ones. And usually acoustics. I ended up having to file down the frets from there to the sound hole to get rid of it, nothing else I tried would work. String was very lightly buzzing against the frets just past where the neck joins the body, producing a warbling sound just like you describe. Again though, I've never seen this on a bolt on neck, several acoustics, including one brand new one still on the rack at a music store. All with set necks.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Wolf tones is an outside bet, if the pickups are too close too the strings then you can sometimes get some weird oscillating overtones - that'd usually affect all the frets though, although it may be more noticeable on higher frets. Definitely not the most likely explanation though, but equally definitely not intonation.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
It's not fret buzz either, no high frets and the action is quite high anyways... Acoustically it sounds very clear except the flutter. I lowered the pickups till they were flush with the pickguard. Extra low. Still flutters. I will get new strings when I can.
Hi. I know this is sort of a necropost, but why create exactly the same thread again if the issue is the same. I changed the pickups to EMG`s and the flutter is still here... but now it`s on all the higher strings on frets 10-18. The guitar just doesn`t sound clear in that register. Any ideas what the heck is going on?
Interesting problem. The sound clip amost sounds like a beat, where two almost identical frequencies are being played at the same time. Intonation would be my first guess too. Also, the spring resonating sounds possible but i wouldnt think that would show up through the pickup. Then again maybe it would. It sounds a lot like my teisco guitar which has a metal pickgaurd that resonates quite a bit. Heres a shot in the dark. Is it your speaker cab? Have you ever tried it with a different amp?
To be honest I get this on all my guitars, usually the G and low E, and always thought it was an inherent problem with electric guitar in general.

Intonation is not going to cause a "warble" like that. All intonation does is shorten or lengthen the string by a small amount for consistency along the fretboard. Nothing more. If the intonation is off, notes further up the fretboard will get increasingly sharp or flat.

I see a lot of "what's my problem?" posts and everyone always jumps on the intonation train. Especially when they don't understand equal temperament and how a guitar is natural (or unnaturally) out of tune no matter what.

My best answer is to get a professional set up if you haven't, and point out the problem to the tech. It could be a frequency resonating with something in the guitar causing a vibration. It could be something with the bridge.

I mostly hear this problem with cheaper guitars with questionable build quality.
I had a custom 4-ply pickguard made for it, it`s much stiffer than the original, so it seems like pickguard`s resonance is not the problem. I`ve just had it set up by a luthier as well, but I forgot to explain my issue when I gave the guitar to him, I only cared about routing the pickguard and getting all stuff to fit.

Anyways, when I lower my pickups the "warble" or "flutter" is less pronounced. I guess I`ll have to leave it how it is and lower the pickups :/

Edit: It seems like the sustain is totally gone in a few positions.... I remember it wasn`t that bad back then.....
Last edited by ArturPr at Dec 6, 2016,
Lowering pickups will most likely cut sustain, you get the initial powerful pick attack, but being farther away the sound dies off quicker as there is less output.

And you're sure it's not the frets? Unlevel and worn frets can cause a lot of problems.

I would cover anything that could be vibrating with some sort of cloth, or pieces of sponge, something soft and absorbent. Strings behind the nut, wrap something around the tuners, the springs under the trem, stick something around the saddle in case it's vibrating.

The main thing that makes sense to me is that the string is hitting something, but if you say the frets are fine then I'll believe that. Could be a dud string.
I`ve covered everything, damped the strings with foam behind the nut, foam in the springs cavity. No help.

BTW I`ve been using exclusively Ernie Ball strings. They seem to be ok, but my sweat is more acidic than sulfuric acid and the strings lose their shine and bright attack after a few hours of playing. Coated strings were a fail for me, they are always much too stiff and just feel bad overall.

I will get some Daddario strings tomorrow, that`s literally the LAST thing I can change in this guitar.
I tried my teisco again last night and it sure does warble like that. It has no elecrronics in it, they have all been removed. It has a hard tail so no springs but it does resonate with that metal pickgaurd. I know that is really not helpful info but, say its the frets on your guitar. You should be able to bend the string up to the level of a string that doesnt warble on the same fret and see if that changes anything.
Daadario strings seem to sound much clearer in terms of warble. It's still not perfect. Is it just because Daadario strings are of higher quality or is my guitar just so sensitive?

Edit; just noticed geo-rage's response. I'll try bending like that tomorrow and see what happens. But like I said, the strings already helped
Last edited by ArturPr at Dec 7, 2016,
Quote by ArturPr
Daadario strings seem to sound much clearer in terms of warble. It's still not perfect. Is it just because Daadario strings are of higher quality or is my guitar just so sensitive?

Edit; just noticed geo-rage's response. I'll try bending like that tomorrow and see what happens. But like I said, the strings already helped

i have best luck with d'addarios, but no matter what you have strung on there there are some inconsistencies from time to time.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Seems like the effect is much less noticeable after the strings broke in after a few hours of playing. Also d`addarios seem to retain their metallic, fresh sound for much longer than EB`s.

The effect is nonexistent when bending or after vibrato (when I vibrate and then stop, there is no warble)