Hey all!

So I'm thinking about adding a second amp to my doom rig. I currently have a Blackstar HT Stage All Tube 100W, connected to a HTV 4x12 with Celestion Seventy 80s and a Series One 2x12 with Celestion V30s (Both cabs voiced by Blackstar). The idea is that this new amp would use the 2x12 and I'd ABY to both amps.

My budget is around $1,500 AUD ($1,128 USD). I'm after something around the 30-60W range and it must be all tube. If it has some kind of wattage selector, even better! At the moment my 100W is my only amp so practicing at bedroom levels is tricky.

I've been looking at brands such as Orange, Laney and Soundcity. I would love something like a Sunn or Matamp clone but where do you even buy these? I'm guessing they would be outside my budget anyway.

I play the rythym section of my band and my current amp is very bass heavy, so an amp that could colour in the mid to high range while keeping the tone heavy as balls would be great. I also use a fuck ton of distortion/fuzz alongside some very alien sounding effects from time to time.

Could anyone please suggest an amp that you think might fit my needs. Any and all advice is appreciated, thanks guys!
Last edited by Splinter733 at Sep 12, 2016,
rockerverb is hard to beat for doom/stoner.

here is an odd shot, look for a sovtek MIG. i have the 50 watt version (non master), and i through a fuzz into that, it just breathes fire. I have it going into a cab loaded with a pair of EVH greenbacks, and a pair of V30's. i think i got mine for around $300ish?

you HT is not all tube, just an FYI.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
trashedlostfdup

Thanks for the reply! I'm pretty keen on the Rockerverb 30, either that or the OR50. They both fit my budget but I doubt I would be able to run my fuzz pedal through either of them, which may make switching between clean and distorted kinda complicated in a live setting.

I will definitely look into Sovtek amps! Although no master might be annoying.

Also my HT is all tube in the sense that it has both pre-amp and power tubes. I know some people consider these amps not "true tube" because of the specific way it's wired or whatever, or the effects it uses, but it's definitely not a hybrid if that's what you mean.

Cheers!
Quote by Splinter733
trashedlostfdup

Thanks for the reply! I'm pretty keen on the Rockerverb 30, either that or the OR50. They both fit my budget but I doubt I would be able to run my fuzz pedal through either of them, which may make switching between clean and distorted kinda complicated in a live setting.

I will definitely look into Sovtek amps! Although no master might be annoying.

Also my HT is all tube in the sense that it has both pre-amp and power tubes. I know some people consider these amps not "true tube" because of the specific way it's wired or whatever, or the effects it uses, but it's definitely not a hybrid if that's what you mean.

Cheers!

the rocker 30 and rockerverb 50/100 are completely different amps. i just played a rocker 30 and thunder 30 the other day and i liked the thunder 30 better of the two.

the OR50's are flat out beasts. i will have one some day.

as far as the lack of MV on the MIG, not all of them are no master, but hit it with a fuzz and turn it up a bit, it is like a wall.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
You could also get something like a Tiny Terror or Dark Terror that you run dimed in stereo. Won't do cleans, of course, but I suspect that's not what you're after anyway and you can still have the HT set for cleans.

The HT should be plenty versatile as well, why don't you just run that with less bass and leave the low end to your bassplayer?
Just a thought but you might want to upgrade your 4x12 (or at least the speakers) with some of your budget, maybe replace it with another 2x12, Eminence Swamp Thangs are supposed to be great for handling low end without being flubby.
the tiny terror and dark terror can get quite nasty when you turn them up. throw a fuzz in front and you are golden. who needs cleans anyways.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Thanks for the replies everyone! Much appreciated I've spent the last week putting countless hours into amp research. At one point I was set on having a Matamp GT120 clone built for ridiculous amounts of money. Since then I've reconsidered and I'm currently deciding between an OR100 (reissue) or a TV200. Leaning towards an OR100, which would allow some money to go towards new speakers (good suggestion).