i didn't see anything similar to this, so i figured i would post this for discussion.

mods - let me know if you have a problem.

please provide links/references or a photo or video.

i will start below!
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
here are a couple of good ones:

http://www.myrareguitars.com/eight-life-hacks-for-the-every-day-guitar-player

Whether it be to fix or clean your electronics, or just to replace your guitar’s volume and tone knobs, there may be a point that you need to take off the existing knobs. Sometimes this is easy, and other times it’s near impossible. Top hat knobs are notorious for this, especially when placed so close to the guitar body. An easy way around this is to use a flat shoelace. Simply slide the shoelace under the knob, wrap it around, and pull up!

Screws and components that are loose can cause rattling sounds when you play, or can just be plain dangerous. You don’t want to have a strap button fall out on you while you play! An easy fix for this is to take out the loose screw, and use a toothpick (or pieces of toothpick, dependent on the screwhole size) to fill it. Put the screw back in, and voila! The screw is biting firmly into wood again.

there are the more common ones as well, like graphite on the nut and pick punching. but the knob one is handy, i have done it before.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Haven't done this myself...yet.

The $10 Electro-Harmonix 12AT7 Preamp Tube mod for the Fender HRD

If it works as advertised, it addresses this otherwise fine amp's 2 biggest problems:

1) even its lowest volume is pretty loud, and it just gets louder. (Mine has never been past 4.). As McKnight explains, the tube swap drops the amp's power (and thus, volume) @20%...the loudest 20% you probably won't miss. It also means that the lowest setting doesn't go from off to loud, but rather, the knob now increases the amp's volume gradually, like it should.

2) the drive channel is terribad. This seems to clean it up to something with articulation as opposed to all that mud.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Sep 12, 2016,
i can't find this one, but cut a piece of foam smaller than the knob on a strat put a whole in the center and place in between the knob and the pickguard, that gives your more friction to turn it so it is harder to bump.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
I've suggested the same, but with those self-adhesive feet or oven pads made of soft silicone. Because of its physical properties, you'll probably want to use a VERY sharp knife (xacto?) and a cutting pad.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by dannyalcatraz
I've suggested the same, but with those self-adhesive feet or oven pads made of soft silicone. Because of its physical properties, you'll probably want to use a VERY sharp knife (xacto?) and a cutting pad.

good idea too.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
The Bill Kirchen Telecaster control mod:

Some manufacturers- like Dean Zelinsky Private Label- have made this the standard control array for their Teleclones, and Fender did this on their (discontinued) Blacktop Baritone Telecaster.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
The Bill Kirchen Telecaster control mod:

I have NO Telecasters. But I've played one or two , including several with this modification, and I think it would be a must on any tele that I would own.

As an aside; I realize that a lot of strat players are paranoid about moving the volume knob on their guitars. I worked with a strat player who was the opposite. He used a piece of foam, all right, but it was a circular piece that fit OVER the volume knob so that he could grab it more reliably with his pinky (and the side of his hand). He did swells and fades as if he were using an expression pedal, and coupled with a wah pedal, he did some amazing things with that guitar. It was just a case of his *embracing* what it did well.
That Telecaster mod drives me crazy, personally. I've played guitars with the mod and some that have it stock (Suhr does it as well) and it's so unnatural to me.

Not really a hack, but reading the manual of an amp has done wonders for me, mostly for knowing how to work the EQ. It doesn't take long and saves loads of time fiddling around, in my opinion.

A nice trick for when you have switches on a controller or a pedal that you don't want to use is to wrap a rubber band under the switch so it can't be pressed by accident. Cheap and non-permanent fix. I do it with a drive pedal that has 2 modes and I only want to use one.

Quote by dannyalcatraz

1) even its lowest volume is pretty loud, and it just gets louder. (Mine has never been past 4.). As McKnight explains, the tube swap drops the amp's power (and thus, volume) @20%...the loudest 20% you probably won't miss. It also means that the lowest setting doesn't go from off to loud, but rather, the knob now increases the amp's volume gradually, like it should.

2) the drive channel is terribad. This seems to clean it up to something with articulation as opposed to all that mud.

I use low(er) gain preamp tubes all the time in different amps (Especially the 6505+) and think they are one of the easiest ways to "make a difference" there is, so I support the concept wholeheartedly.

I take issue with the "20% power reduction" comment, since it's almost always going to be nonsense. You're changing preamp tubes, not the power end, and unless you're actually reducing the signal at the final drive stage your available power will remain the same.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
good idea

not sure i have any hacks.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Arby911

I take issue with the "20% power reduction" comment, since it's almost always going to be nonsense. You're changing preamp tubes, not the power end, and unless you're actually reducing the signal at the final drive stage your available power will remain the same.

Well, he did say in the vid that he wasn't explaining it properly.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Well, he did say in the vid that he wasn't explaining it properly.

Yeah, and how lazy is that? "I know this is wrong, but I can't be bothered to do it right, let me just enshrine my ignorance on video for all eternity!"

Sheesh!

I know I've said some stupid incorrect things on occasion, but I've never done so deliberately.
Charles Darwin
Quote by Will Lane
Something not working? Try contact cleaner.

To add to this. If the contact cleaner doesnt work, check the wiring for any cold solder or shorts before you replace any parts.

You can also roll some sandpaper and shove it into your output jack to remove any corrosion for better contact if you are having issues on that end.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by Arby911
Yeah, and how lazy is that? "I know this is wrong, but I can't be bothered to do it right, let me just enshrine my ignorance on video for all eternity!"

Sheesh!

I know I've said some stupid incorrect things on occasion, but I've never done so deliberately.

Normally, I rail against that kind of thing.

...but this time, I clearly didn't.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Normally, I rail against that kind of thing.
...but this time, I clearly didn't.

That's what you've got me for, I've got your back!!
Charles Darwin
I K0nijn I nice idea with the rubber band. i will have to try that some time.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
There's been threads like this over the years.

Regarding guitar's there's not a whole lot I know that isn't already popular knowledge.

I think swapping preamp valves around is a great mod though since it isn't expensive and it does no harm to the amp at all so long as the preamp valve is the same basic type as a 12AX7.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
To add to this. If the contact cleaner doesnt work, check the wiring for any cold solder or shorts before you replace any parts.

You can also roll some sandpaper and shove it into your output jack to remove any corrosion for better contact if you are having issues on that end.

On a similar note - when your guitar's output jack starts cutting out and you have to wiggle the cable or push it a certain way to get sound, or even not getting sound at all: either pull out the jack or open the cavity so you can get access to the other side and bend the contact point that curves around to touch the tip of the cable in towards the hole more so it's pushing against the tip harder.

The problem with this is that if that piece of metal is getting worn out it starts happening more and more frequently and can turn into something you have to do regularly. After a while it just makes sense to replace it.
The4thHorsemen +1 you can also bend the contacts back in some switches too.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
trashedlostfdup

yup, basically any component that requires physical contact to pass the signal through can start to get loose over time and can be bent back in place to make better contact. if you can get to it. I hate those jacks that are completely enclosed in plastic.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Whoa
No, no, no, no.
Sandpaper bad.
Do it to vigorously, and you could end up sanding right through the plating.
Use a green Scotchbrite pad instead.
Plus you can soak that with contact cleaner or Deoxit before you use it.
Thats also good on cable ends.

I've got a shitload of DIY type fixes for all sorts of stuff.
Just have to rattle my brain a bit to dredge them up.
Quote by CodeMonk
Whoa
No, no, no, no.
Sandpaper bad.

start digging Rob! lol.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by CodeMonk
Whoa
No, no, no, no.
Sandpaper bad.

You can use fine sandpaper, obviously not something super coarse like 120 but I mean scotch pads would probably be better. I have never gone through the plating personally but if its not the way to go then thats cool.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
You can use fine sandpaper, obviously not something super coarse like 120 but I mean scotch pads would probably be better. I have never gone through the plating personally but if its not the way to go then thats cool.

If sandpaper is all you have around, I wouldn't use anything coarser than 400 grit.

Plus scotchbrite pads can be useful on a lot of other things. I used one on my Explorer to get rid of that sticky gloss finish on the back of the neck. (OK, THERE'S ANOTHER TIP)

Another tip:
A pencil eraser works great to remove corrosion on surfaces where a good electronic contact is needed.
Might be a bit difficult on a jack, but on the plug and other accessible surfaces it can do wonders.
Its actually used often in the Electronics industry (Including Aerospace stuff).

Like if you are trying to solder something (Like installing a new pot on your guitar) and the solder isn't sticking, take a pencil eraser to it to clean the surface off.
In fact, when I change pots, I always rub the tabs with a pencil eraser to make sure its clean (I have about 30 of them in my workshop drawer).
Last edited by CodeMonk at Sep 14, 2016,
I have heard about the eraser trick a long time ago, but have long since forgot.

Thanks Rob.

dumb question though, is there a specific kind of eraser (pink kind or a gum one, etc)?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
i thought of another!

use a little bit of non permanent thread locker on jacks and other nuts that become loose often, like a strat or LP.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
I have heard about the eraser trick a long time ago, but have long since forgot.

Thanks Rob.

dumb question though, is there a specific kind of eraser (pink kind or a gum one, etc)?

I forgot about the pencil trick for awhile too, until my then future ex-GF (who was an EE and an Electronic Tech) reminded me of it.

Take your pick.

If you have a board mounted pot with the through-hole pins you can just shove one pin at a time into the eraser and spin it around to clean it.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Sep 14, 2016,
Quote by CodeMonk

Ah, the Papermate Pink Pearl...the greatest double entendre of my schoolboy days.

i just remembered the DIY spring silencers. from pipe cleaners to a thin cut to fit piece of foam.

i have about 30+ of them to make. lol.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Don't want to spend the absurd amount it costs to buy a full set of nut slotting files from Stewmac when all you want to do is fine adjustments?

Buy welding torch tip cleaners.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Don't want to spend the absurd amount it costs to buy a full set of nut slotting files from Stewmac when all you want to do is fine adjustments?

Buy welding torch tip cleaners.

Been my quick go-to for years!
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
Been my quick go-to for years!

i am going to pick some up. i have heard of it but haven't thought about that in a while.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
i found a good one a few minutes ago.

take a short bit of crappy instrument cable, keep one end on, cut the other off and put alligator clips on the other half. its handy for testing cables/pedalboards.

also taking sticky residue on pedals with WD40 where velcro or label was CAREFULLY just spray a bit on a shop towel and wiping it clean.

i do want to add that WD40 is a terrible chemical that does a million things, but NOT ONE well.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup

i do want to add that WD40 is a terrible chemical that does a million things, but NOT ONE well.

Nah, it displaces water very well. I've used it countless times to "dry" out the inside of a distributor cap.

Which makes sense, since that's what it's actually for...
Charles Darwin