hi guys, i play since almost 5 years ago and each time i play minor or 7th/9/6th bar chords the g string is almost always muted and that makes me sad each time i play them, i don't know if it's because my fingers aren't strong enough (they are large but pretty thin and bony)
That would be the joints giving you problems. If you'd look at your fingers, you'd see that the joints are the gap in an otherwise straight line and in between there is some flesh in both the first and last phalanx (I hope that is the right translation). The one in the middle doesn't have this as much and is commonly a problem, the other fingers tend to be a saving grace here, as they fret something further up the neck.

Grab a barre chord, study where the joints are and make sure they're note trying to push down a string. If so, move them slightly so there is always flesh pushing down on a string.

A few other tricks are, stretching your finger backwards, while pushing it down on the fretboard from your hand. Commonly, people try to push down with the tip of their finger when they try to play a barre, as if they where playing a single note. With barre's you need to do the opposite, and stretching backwards while pushing down tends to work. A last trick is to slightly turn your finger, so that you're pushing down with the side of the finger (the part facing the thumb). On this part, there aren't as many gaps and there is a lot of bone, which makes it easy to push down, though it's possible not too comfortable.

Good luck
Wise Man Says: The guitar is obviously female, she's got hips, breasts... and a hole.
UG's Flamenco Club
Last edited by FretboardToAsh at Sep 12, 2016,
I am the same. I have to move my index finger depending on the type of barre chord. An E, Em, or E7 shape requires me to have my index finger pretty high up, so that the top end of my finger is much higher than the top of the fretboard.
When I started learning barre chords, I started with major chords (E shape) on the 6th string (as in F) and my index finger was slightly curved to hit the low E string, but when I started E minor shapes, I had the same issue that you do. I just had to straighten the barre to fix it. I don't change the height of my index finger for any chords, even if the top string is the 5th string. Maybe I should, but right now, it's easier to change between chords if I don't change the index finger.
"You can't have everything you want, but you can have what you want most."
Playing a Martin 00-15M.
Last edited by sunrader2000 at Sep 14, 2016,
Sorry, you meant on the 5th string, duh. If sunrader's advice doesn't help check that your knuckle isn't too far forward - I like to wrap the bottom of the index finger ever so slightly around the neck rather than deadly straight.
I've been learning for almost 2 years now I have the same problem with a muted G on barres on acoustic, but because I practice chords on acoustic, they're a breeze on the electric now (after about 9 months or so of daily practice). Like another user mentioned above, I too have found that straightening the index finger and with a few minor adjustments I can get the G to ring out just fine, a little more practice will hopefully solve it.

So keep practicing, and maybe try a pair of lighter gauge strings if you're on acoustic, I use ernie ball extra light 10 - 50 which are significantly lighter than what's generally found on a lot of acoustics.