Hey guys,
I'm just 1.60m (5.25 ft) and my strap makes my guitar hang very low, even at the tightest setting.
It looks kinda cool imo but it is a pain in the ass to play, because I'm used to play sitting.
Does anyone have a suggestion for a good and reliable guitar strap that is suited to short people like me ?
My guitar doesn't have strap locks yet though, should I just get strap locks or a strap that has a built-in locking mechanism ?
I don't have a good answer for you besides there IS an answer. Many women who play guitar are shorter still. Kaki King, for instance, is just 5'1". Heck, some guys, too- Prince was just 5'2" himself.

My advice: contact the various strap makers out there. I know that there are at least 2 standard strap lengths out there. Beyond that, there are a lot of makers who are small operations or 1 man shops. They MAY make custom lengths.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Sep 12, 2016,
If you have a strap you like then maybe you could take it to a clothing repair place and get them to sew a return into it to shorten it. Get the right amount doubled over and you will have adjustment.
Go to Reverb, find Well-Hung (guitar straps), send Brad a message and tell him what you need. He makes his straps custom anyway (and not terribly expensive) and he'll probably fix you right up. https://reverb.com/shop/well-hung-guitar-accessories

He's done three straps for me (and I have two more on order).
I have 2 of those as well. He's one of the small operators I was thinking of.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by dannyalcatraz
I have 2 of those as well. He's one of the small operators I was thinking of.

"small operator" to make a strap for a "dwarf?" *ahem*
Just shop around for a hobbit strap they are about the same height as dwarves
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

I'd just get a belt, cut the buckle off it and set it in with 2 metal washers and a screw into the guitar. BAM ghetto leather locking strap.
Gear:
1987 Charvel Model II
2010 Carvin ST300C
1990 Charvette 100
1991 Ibanez RG560M
2006 Fender Mexi Strat
Jackson/Charvel Star W/ Custom Graphics.
Ovation CP 247 Acoustic
Line 6 POD HD Pro X
Pro Tools 9

Tutorial: Studio Quality Programmed Drum Sounds
Take one of your current straps and hike it up a bit and measure the approximate length that would put the guitar where you like it. That will not only help anyone you might talk to about building you a strap to give you adjustability *around* your ideal length, but will also help you find properly fitting straps online in the future.
Hello all, and particularly juvi,

OK so I have been trying to sign up, I guess at one point in the past I tried to become a member and didn't complete the registraion or some-such, and I ended up in one of those ridiculous can't-register-because-I-didn't-want-to-change-my-username-but-my-email-was-wrong-so-I-couldn't-re-register or change-my-email-because-I-hadn't-registered sort of feedback loops - so frustrating. So yes, I am now a member of this fine tribe, let the hazing begin.

I am a member of too many guitar forums already, so what's just another one, especially since there seems to be some kind of buzz on over in here?
Ok, my advice to juvi is this: first off, if you only play while sitting, do you really need a strap? Second, Dave has good info on getting a measurement if you would like a custom built, and there are many guys would love to take all your money. BUT if you only play sitting down I would say, buy a cheap $6 dollar poly hootenanny style strap off ebay. They are near infinitely adjustable for dwarves, midgits, leprecauns, hobbits, oompaloompas and the like. Or just take your current strap, and see if you can wind it in the easy strap shortenin' method I had to come up with for some folks I was dealing back aways, shown here:

Give it a try. Save you some dough. But for gosh-sakes, get some play time in standing up. If Keef and neil and angus and page all those old farts can still do it, you can too, young fella. Ain't no level on guitar hero where the dude is sitting down.
Random thought of the day: this thread's title would get VERY different responses in a BDSM forum...

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Random thought of the day: this thread's title would get VERY different responses in a BDSM forum...

"Were you buying tools? I noticed the Strap On Truck parked at your house late last night."

"The difference between a convertible and a pervertible? In a Pervertible, the driver goes down."

"Oh, I thought you said all that leather was for your *horse.*"
Quote by dannyalcatraz

Weeeell, that escalated quickly. .
Quote by Well-Hung
Hello all, and particularly juvi,

OK so I have been trying to sign up, I guess at one point in the past I tried to become a member and didn't complete the registraion or some-such, and I ended up in one of those ridiculous can't-register-because-I-didn't-want-to-change-my-username-but-my-email-was-wrong-so-I-couldn't-re-register or change-my-email-because-I-hadn't-registered sort of feedback loops - so frustrating. So yes, I am now a member of this fine tribe, let the hazing begin.

Ok, my advice to juvi is this: first off, if you only play while sitting, do you really need a strap?
(...)

Give it a try. Save you some dough. But for gosh-sakes, get some play time in standing up. If Keef and neil and angus and page all those old farts can still do it, you can too, young fella. Ain't no level on guitar hero where the dude is sitting down.

Actually, the only reason I started to play while sitting, is that my strap is way too long for me. :P
Yeah, I would just give it a try, but my strap (this one: https://www.musicstore.de/de_DE/EUR/MUSIC-STORE-Gitarrengurt-Classic-BK-Leder-Schwarz/art-GIT0008655-000 ) doesn't work like that and almost made my guitar fall to the ground when I made a knot.
But okay, just buying a cheap one may be the best option lol.
(And sorry for the clickbait thread name, the Ultimate Guitar Facebook page had a bad influence on me lol.)
Quote by dspellman
"Were you buying tools? I noticed the Strap On Truck parked at your house late last night."

"The difference between a convertible and a pervertible? In a Pervertible, the driver goes down."

"Oh, I thought you said all that leather was for your *horse.*"

"Mary said you guys didn't get much yard work done this weekend because you were a little 'gimpy' Friday night. You look fine to me- was she pulling my leg?"

LOL this thread is begining to resemble some of the offerings in the pit!
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

Quote by Evilnine
LOL this thread is begining to resemble some of the offerings in the pit!

So...I've been a bad boy?

Quote by dannyalcatraz
So...I've been a bad boy?

Well I'm not going to spank you if that's what your after
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

Quote by juvion
Weeeell, that escalated quickly. .

Yeah, I would just give it a try, but my strap (this one: https://www.musicstore.de/de_DE/EUR/MUSIC-STORE-Gitarrengurt-Classic-BK-Leder-Schwarz/art-GIT0008655-000 ) doesn't work like that and almost made my guitar fall to the ground when I made a knot.
But okay, just buying a cheap one may be the best option lol.

Looks like you could easily punch another button hole in that end strap at the right place with a 5/16" hole punch, then cut a 1/8th inch slit into the strap at the top of the hole - , measure where you need it take it to a local leathercraft, or shoe repair/upholstery place or whatever, they'll charge you maybe a buck, if that. If you ask nice they may even chop it down then resew the end so you don't have a long tail hanging.

Alternately, go to your local thrift shop, buy a black belt of real solid leather with a simple low profile buckle. Plier off the buckle adjuster pin, and use the buckle as the end loop on the inside of the strap. Drill a hole into the belt where you need it, (a smaller one than you think you need), add the small keyhole slit at the top of the hole, the chop that ol' belt off. (beloiw the hole, LOL!)