I've been messing around with my guitar for a couple of years now. I'm not sure how to rate myself, probably early intermediate: I have the basic chords including basic barre chords, and can play in reasonable time along with songs, have started messing around with 16th strumming patterns.

What I'm looking to do is to continue to improve/ develop my rhythm play mainly for acoustic, but also for electric, to make my play more interesting - i.e new techniques beyond simply doing chords - ideally through some sort of course or book.

Problem I have is that I try searching on the internet and there is sooo much and I have no idea what is good or bad.

I think the kind of thing I would like is a quick video, showing something, with tab and recordnings that I can then practice with. Which builds things up in some sort of logical basis. But open to other ideas.

I'm afraid my musical tastes aren't that sophisticated - pop, guns n roses acoustic sound, chilli peppers, dire straits, etc etc.

Any suggestions on where to start would be much appreciated.
hhmm - not 100%, as I don't know whether I understand your question fully

My aim is to be able to move away from just bashing out chords - but I think this may mean something different to you than it does to me.

I like the idea of learning with which chords I can use hammer ons, and offs to change the voicing a little, how I can bring in bass runs (correct terminology?), learning to switch from 1/8th or 1/16ths and perhaps bring in triplets.

I'm not that fussy about learning loads of different chords, I just want to be able to learn to do more with what I do have.

Make sense?