My main guitar as you can see is a MIM Fender Strat.I love it both in playability and tone. BUT I would like something a bit different. Have played a few guitars (including a £2000 Gretsch and a £1500 ES 335 neither of which I can afford!) I've played a Les Paul and a couple of other humbucker equipped guitars and didn't like them.

But of the guitars I have tried these are ones which I liked (a lot);
- Epiphone Bluesbreaker (P90 Pro pick ups and a coil tap)
- Fender Modern Player Telecaster Thinline Deluxe
- PRS SE Standard 24 Electric Guitar (yes I know humbuckers but did like the sound and feel!)

Any thoughts on what you'd choose as a second guitar for Pink Floyd, Queen, Joe Walsh, ELO up to RHCP, Foo Fighters etc with a band who get together weekly to jam?
My Gear

MIM Fender Strat

Vox AC4 TV
Marshall MG30DFX (now gone! )
Laney VC15 110 on the way!

EHX Small Clone
Marshall Gv'nor II+
Behringer DD100
MXR Dyna Comp
MXR Phase 90

Yamaha FG 411S
Telecaster or Bluesbreaker. Those would be a little different and still compliment your playing. A humbucker only configuration would shift too far away from your desired sound. The bluesbreaker would beef it up some, while the Tele is going be the closest to what you have now.

That said, the Foo Fighters do use humbuckers as does Brian May---at least some of the time. You might consider and HSS Strat because of the aformentioned bit. If not, the Bluesbreaker might be the ticket.
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587, Agile Septor 727
*mods

Amps/FX
Peavey: Vypyr 30/Max 112 (200W), ISP: Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.

justinguitar.com is the answer
A guitar with SS, SSS, HSS, P90/SS, 290, 390, 2xminiHB or splittable HH would cover most of that. Yes, that IS a huge assortment of options.

But considering most of Queen, RHCP & Pink Floyd is played on SS or SSS guitars...I'd go HSS, P90/SS, 2xminiHB or 390. Why? Because any of those will do those bands well enough, but provide enough *oompf* to venture into Foo territory & beyond.

Still, what's your budget?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Sep 13, 2016,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
A guitar with SS, SSS, HSS, P90/SS, 290, 390, 2xminiHB or splittable HH would cover most of that. Yes, that IS a huge assortment of options.

But considering most of Queen, RHCP & Pink Floyd is played on SS or SSS guitars...I'd go HSS, P90/SS, 2xminiHB or 390. Why? Because any of those will do those bands well enough, but provide enough *oompf* to venture into Foo territory & beyond.

£500
My Gear

MIM Fender Strat

Vox AC4 TV

EHX Small Clone
Marshall Gv'nor II+
Behringer DD100
MXR Dyna Comp
MXR Phase 90

Yamaha FG 411S
The UK's own Fret-King has a couple of good options. Look for their Corona SP or its discontinued predecessor, the Super 60SP, new or used. I have the Super 60HB because the store I shopped with sold out of the SP version. Well made, with a very stable trem. I'm no whammy warrior, but in the couple of years I've owned mine, I haven't had a single trem-related detuning issue. The one thing I note as a major difference between the Super 60 and the Corona is the inclusion of Fret-King's Vari-Coil control, which lets you dial in a more traditional singlecoil tone from the P90*. Unlike a coil-split, this control works on singlecoils (obviously) and is an analog control as opposed to a binary push/pull or push/push control. That means you dial in exactly how you want that P90 to sound.

http://fret-king.com/black-label/corona-sp.html#.V9kQ7us8KrU
http://fret-king.com/super-60-sp.html#.V9kRqOs8KrU

Found this one.
http://www.ivormairants.co.uk/guitar-and-bass/brands/fret-king/fret-king-black-label-corona-sp-firenze-red.html?___SID=U

* or HB or miniHB in guitars that have them.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Sep 14, 2016,
^ you might still be able to find a blue label. i think its spec is a bit higher (japanese-made gotoh and gotoh/wilkinson hardware). i had a look yesterday and there were a few on ebay, not the p90ss or HSS one though IIRC. But if there are still a few on ebay there are probably still some left in shops too, so some googling may find them. just don't spend too much, the price is all over the place with fretkings, some shops charge RRP (or near enough), other shops have pretty deep discounts (at times you could get them new for £300, if not even less if you got lucky). Other thing is, resale is pretty terrible on them, so that's worth bearing in mind. Obviously there are several fender options at that kind of money as well.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If the resale price is bad, then the used price is good...

I mean, it's hard to go wrong with a telecaster.
Furnder Turlurcurstur '72 Cursturm
A tuner
RAT!@#?1!
Oloctro Hormonox Doloxo Momory Mon
Fenders Deluxes Reverbs.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
If the resale price is bad, then the used price is good...

yep. just pointing out so he knows. granted, i think it's a buyers' market currently (and has been for some time), I'm not sure you should expect to get most of your money back on anything you buy new really... but some things still depreciate worse than others even still.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by dannyalcatraz

I'd say +1 to that with a personal lean towards the P90/S because I think the P90 would bring in some killer added tone into the single cool territory.

I would say, if you can get your hands on them though, try before you buy, because if one just totally feels better to you for what you specifically will be doing, I'd go that way.
Try adding more delay.
How about a Music Man? I have the Steve Morse with 4 pickups - two single coils and two 'buckers, all the tonal options are in there and can cover everything from a country gig to a death metal show

Considering the Fender shapes, I prefer Music Man and G&L as I feel the quality is a bit better.
Quote by diabolical
How about a Music Man? I have the Steve Morse with 4 pickups - two single coils and two 'buckers, all the tonal options are in there and can cover everything from a country gig to a death metal show

Considering the Fender shapes, I prefer Music Man and G&L as I feel the quality is a bit better.
Pretty certain they're much more than £500
Quote by EyeballPaul
Pretty certain they're much more than £500

Yeah, you're right. I bought mine $1300 new and it is over $2k now, so much for inflation

I'd say Charvel Pro Mod in that case, a little over 500 pounds, but I think quite worth it:
https://www.thomann.de/gb/search.html?sw=charvel&filter=true&price-first=0&price-last=800
Quote by diabolical
Yeah, you're right. I bought mine $1300 new and it is over $2k now, so much for inflation

I'd say Charvel Pro Mod in that case, a little over 500 pounds, but I think quite worth it:
https://www.thomann.de/gb/search.html?sw=charvel&filter=true&price-first=0&price-last=800

Not denying they're good guitars. But saying the Charvel Pro Mods are a little over £500 is a bit of an understatement too. They on average cost 1/3 more than that.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Sep 17, 2016,
yeah. and you're doing well these days to get a musicman for less than £1500. and most of them are near £2000 (if not more).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'ᴍ ᴜsɪɴɢ ɪᴛ ɴᴏᴡ ᴀɴᴅ ɪᴛ's ᴀᴡᴇsᴏᴍᴇ! I'ᴠᴇ sɪɢɴᴇᴅ ᴜᴘ ғᴏʀ ᴍʏ ᴀᴄᴄᴏᴜɴᴛ ᴀɴᴅ ʜᴀᴠᴇ been bringing in fat paychecks. For real, my first week I made £302 and the second week I doubled it and then it kinda snowballed to £120 a day! ᴊᴜᴇᴛ ғᴏʟʟʟᴏᴡ ᴛʜᴇ ᴄᴏᴜʀsᴇ.. ᴛʜᴇʏ ᴡɪʟʟ ʜᴇʟᴘ ʏᴏᴜ ᴏᴜᴛ...

This is ᴡʜᴀᴛ I DO-------------- http://www.CashPay60.Com
Gone for the Bluesbreaker (as 2nd hand one in superb condition for £200 rather than £499!) which left me enough to get a 2nd hand Vox VT40+ as well!

Thanks for your views guys and gals.
My Gear

MIM Fender Strat

Vox AC4 TV

EHX Small Clone
Marshall Gv'nor II+
Behringer DD100
MXR Dyna Comp
MXR Phase 90

Yamaha FG 411S