Hi Guys,
I am a beginner and learning on my own through youtube videos.
Please help me with the strumming pattern of this song:

Thanks in advance.
Quote by sikky12
Hi Guys,
I am a beginner and learning on my own through youtube videos.
Please help me with the strumming pattern of this song:

Thanks in advance.
OK, (I think), the song is in 6/8 time.(?) The gentleman in the video takes a few liberties with that in spots, or possibly it has a mixed time signature. (Just a couple of measures).

I can't explain the strumming pattern beyond that. It's very simple, either down picked or down strummed, as soon as you get the rhythm down which is groups of 3's, in groups of 2 or 4.

FWIW, unless there are measures added to the basic 8 bar song form, 6/8 & 12/8 time, are virtually indistinguishable.

Moving along, until the gentleman starts strumming, (when he's playing playing the arpeggio parts), the meter is very loose. I kind of hear beats being put in or taken out, pretty much at will.

These songs:

"House of the Rising Sun" (Trad).
"Roads to Moscow" (Al Stewart)
and "You've got to Hide Your Love Away" (The Beatles)

Are all in 6/9 or 12/8 time, and very worthwhile listening to, in order to get the hang of that time signature.

You do have to understand what "triplets" are, in order to fully process that song. (That should be an easy look up on Wiki or elsewhere).
Last edited by Captaincranky at Sep 14, 2016,
Captaincranky
Thanks for the quick pointers. I will pick up keywords from your reply and search up and learn.
Thanks always