Hey people, I need some help picking a practice amp (20-40W) to play mostly Heavy Metal and Hard Rock (Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, AC/DC, Metallica). I am using an Epiphone G400 Custom (3 humbuckers)

Some of the options I have:
Fender Mustang II V.2
Peavey Vypyr VIP 2

Any suggestions are welcome!

EDIT: I don't care about the recording capabilities of the amp or how complex/simple to use it is
Overdrive me daddy

Guitars:
Epiphone G400 Custom
Yamaha F335
Amp:
Marshall DSL401
Last edited by lenivy at Sep 16, 2016,
Budget?

Location?

Willing to purchase used?
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Evilnine Budget: $120
Willing to buy used?: Sure
Quote by Evilnine
Budget?

Location?

Willing to purchase used?
Overdrive me daddy

Guitars:
Epiphone G400 Custom
Yamaha F335
Amp:
Marshall DSL401
BruceWillismanIt's a great amp, buuuuut.... it's over my budget
Overdrive me daddy

Guitars:
Epiphone G400 Custom
Yamaha F335
Amp:
Marshall DSL401
For your budget I'd go for the Peavey Vyper IMO they sound better than the Mustangs, if you go used and have the patience to shop around you could get a model or two up from the VIP2, remember you can buy used from guitars center online and return no questions asked if your not happy with it, return shipping does not apply because even if it originally ships from the opposite coast from where you live you can simply return it to you nearest local GC.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

Evilnine The Peavey Vypyr VIP are nice amps and I'm probaly gonna go for one. Do you know if Fender Mustang is worth it because of Fender Fuse and that you can download different presets?
Overdrive me daddy

Guitars:
Epiphone G400 Custom
Yamaha F335
Amp:
Marshall DSL401
lenivy

Your signature lists a Fender Mustang I V.2. Can you use the Fuse software with that? I don't have any experience with the software but understand you are able to do quite a bit with it. A boosted or hot rodded Marshall seems to be a common theme in most of those tones.

Is this strictly for playing alone? If so, $120 will get you much further on a computer. I use Peavey ReValver (you can buy stuff a la carte but the FREE ValveKing and tubescreamer will get you most of what you want) - say $30 here on the high side - with a Guitar to USB cable (RockSmith actually) - $20-$30. Then put some money into GuitarPro ($60) or here on UG's version.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by lenivy
Evilnine The Peavey Vypyr VIP are nice amps and I'm probaly gonna go for one. Do you know if Fender Mustang is worth it because of Fender Fuse and that you can download different presets?

Myself I am not really into modelling amps but I was looking to buy one when I had no amp at all and couldn't really get anything out of the Mustang that was authentic IMO I almost pulled the trigger on a used Vyper with the Sanpera footswitch but ultimately decided to hold off save up and get a tube amp.
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

metalmingee Yes you can use Fuse software with the Mustang I V.2, but I sold that amp to get something a bit bigger (40W maybe). And, yes - this is strictly for playing alone and practicing (my friend comes over sometimes so we practice together).
Quote by metalmingee
lenivy

Your signature lists a Fender Mustang I V.2. Can you use the Fuse software with that?

Is this strictly for playing alone?
Overdrive me daddy

Guitars:
Epiphone G400 Custom
Yamaha F335
Amp:
Marshall DSL401
I have the first gen Vypyr and you can get those tones out of it. The VIP models have a computer software interface as well I believe.

$120 isn't much of a budget for an amp. . . Can you save up for a used Marshall DSL40C? I don't think a ValveKing will get you all the way there - you'd need an external boost pedal and that would put you out of budget.

Modelers work well for what they are but I personally got tired of mine focusing on high gain tones. I just bought a 5150 and didn't look back. When I wanted versatility I bought a Mesa Roadster. But we're way out of budget. . .

For your $120 I'd look at a used Vypyr 30 or VIP 2. You typically want the 12" speaker.
Guitars:
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
Ive got the Vypyr VIP II. the best Amp I have used in a looooooooooong time. Very versatile with tones and can even make the worst guitar sound good (with a bit of fiddling) I would recommend this to anyone on a budget that wants to get the best bang for their buck. especially if you play multiple styles. and its great for recording straight to a computer!
I quit my office job and now I am getting paid 82 Dollars hourly. How? I work-over internet! My old work was making me miserable, so I was forced to try-something different. 2 years after…I can say my life is changed completely for the better! Check it out what i do… N1024

This is ᴡʜᴀᴛ I DO--------------- http://www.CashPay60.Com
My experience .
I have a Laney cube 12 r, 1W or 15W, (two jacks, 1 w actually for home playing, or 15W for giging), all tube amp.
But! It is too loud for home, even if u use 1W only.
In this case, most of my playing/practice fits by JamUp app for ibad, docked into an Alesis IO DOC stuff. Also, I'm close to purchase the Yamaha thr 10x.
So, if you re need an amp for home playing, 20W ( don't talk about 40W) is too loud.
CofeeBoyor get an amp with a master volume and use the volume knob.
Guitars:
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
Save up some extra cash, wait a little longer, and get a Yamaha THR10x. They're great little practice amps anyway, and I wouldn't go less than that unless I had absolutely no other option in sight.

“We’re built of contradictions, all of us. It’s those opposing forces that give us strength, like an arch, each block pressing the next. Give me a man whose parts are all aligned in agreement and I’ll show you madness. We walk a narrow path, insanity to each side. A man without contradictions to balance him will soon veer off.”

silentfall.bandcamp.com
Quote by an.interloper
Save up some extra cash, wait a little longer, .

This is good advice, waiting to save a little more and finding the right amp that fits your needs and *MOST IMPORTANTLY* creates the tones that will inspire you, is the goal.

I suggest you do a little research along with the recommendations of the UG fam on this thread and go out *WITH YOUR GUITAR* and do some test drives. I guarantee that your ears will make the decision for you.

Best of luck with your choice.

*Always test out amps with your favorite guitar and not an unfamiliar axe at the guitar store.
CofeeBoy I live in a HOUSE, not an APARTMENT, so I don't care how loud the amp is. Plus there is a thing called headphones
Overdrive me daddy

Guitars:
Epiphone G400 Custom
Yamaha F335
Amp:
Marshall DSL401