Poll: Do you agree with safe spaces?
Poll Options
View poll results: Do you agree with safe spaces?
Yes
8 24%
No
26 76%
Voters: 34.
Page 1 of 14
Victoria Atkins (Louth and Horncastle) (Con)

Q4. Freedom of speech is a fundamental British value, which is undermined by so-called safe spaces in our universities, where a sense of righteous entitlement among a minority of students means that their wish not to be offended shuts down debate. As students around the country return to their places of learning at the start of this new academic year, does my right hon. Friend agree that university is precisely the place for lively debate, and that fear of being offended must not trump freedom of speech?

The Prime Minister:
I absolutely agree with my hon. Friend. We want our universities not just to be places of learning, but to be places where there can be open debate which is challenged and people can get involved in that. I think everybody is finding this concept of safe spaces quite extraordinary. We want to see that innovation of thought taking place in our universities; that is how we develop as a country, as a society and as an economy, and I absolutely agree with my hon. Friend.

Do you think people should be allowed safe spaces free of freedom of speech? Should they exist within an institution like a university? Share your thoughts as long as you don't trigger me thanks.
I think that this thread will be a Right hon. Laugh.
they're coming to take me away
ha-haaa
Your home is your safe space

Your school is not
Check out my band Disturbed
I absolutely agree with my hon.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Anyone who needs a safe space is probably too pathetic to be allowed out in public, never mind allowed to enroll at a university. Remove all safe spaces and replace them with unsafe places where everyone can happily insult each other and mock people who get offended by everything. hon. Friend has it right.
I have nothing important to say
Last edited by JackSaints at Sep 14, 2016,
Quote by StewieSwan

Your school is not

Totes
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Home isn't a safe space if you have privileged shitlord parents who refuse to even accept mayonnaise as a gender
I have nothing important to say
i'm a straight white male in America, i've got all the luck i need, and am not allowed to criticize safe spaces because they are not for me

i need a safe space to get away from the people who feel they need safe spaces
Quote by JackSaints
Home isn't a safe space if you have privileged shitlord parents who refuse to even accept mayonnaise as a gender

Get a job and your own home then
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Genuinely speaking though, I agree.

I do think we're in an age now - WAY more so than ever - where people are afraid to say things out of fear that a herd of sjw's will instantly attack them.

Not necessarily even things that are that controversial, but people seem to have found a way of getting offended at anything and everything - often on behalf of other people.
Quote by matt bickerton

I do think we're in an age now - WAY more so than ever - where people are afraid to say things out of fear that a herd of sjw's will instantly attack them.

Not necessarily even things that are that controversial, but people seem to have found a way of getting offended at anything and everything - often on behalf of other people.

Very true.

It's so true that herd of right wingers brigade peoples Twitter accounts with racist abuse because they acted in films that were not well received.
Quote by matt bickerton

No that never happens. that's a myth that white people make up

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1709504
Before it's over with even your own mind will not be a safe space.

At least that is what Dave Mustaine predicted circa 1990:

"Fill the cracks in, with judicial granite
Because I don't say it, don't mean I ain't thinking it
Next thing you know, they'll take my thoughts away..."
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Quote by Evilnine
Before it's over with even your own mind will not be a safe space.

At least that is what Dave Mustaine predicted circa 1990:

"Fill the cracks in, with judicial granite
Because I don't say it, don't mean I ain't thinking it
Next thing you know, they'll take my thoughts away..."
Truly a prophet, and a poet.

A man of unquestionable sanity and clarity of thought.

....wait.....
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Truly a prophet, and a poet.

A man of unquestionable sanity and clarity of thought.

....wait.....

LOL yeah Dave was an ass but he made a good point every now and again.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Nah I think a space for discussion for minorities without someone interjecting with "But does racism exist? Is it really that bad?" is a valuable effort.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Nah I think a space for discussion for minorities without someone interjecting with "But does racism exist? Is it really that bad?" is a valuable effort.
And in a debate, it's up to the chair to keep the debate on topic.
Quote by Diemon Dave
doubt this will be popular with pit dwellers (but really when is anything i say popular with pit dwellers) but fuck safe spaces. The world's a tough place and while these safe spaces exist under the guise of "safety" (from what? from hearing things you don't want to hear? ugh the arrogance), what they really are is an incubator for embitterment, for people to sit around and be outraged about how unfair the world is.

SJWs basically have taken universities hostage by demanding these safe spaces because no university will create the remote idea of saying no to any possible demographic because they want to make as much money as possible which involves accomadating everyone and their bullshit needs is going to risk that PR disaster
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Quote by slapsymcdougal
And in a debate, it's up to the chair to keep the debate on topic.

I don't think safe spaces are about debates, they're just support groups.
"Oh woe is me" groups
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
"I have a predetermined worldview and don't want it challenged"
Quote by ali.guitarkid7

Pretty much. They're not 'lalala don't want to hear anything I disagree with' spaces, they're 'we want to talk about issues that specifically affect us without people butting in' spaces. At least, they shouldn't be. Maybe some are, but that doesn't mean they all shouldn't exist.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
I don't think safe spaces are about debates, they're just support groups.
The quote in the OP mentions debate. And similarly, for a support group, you don't even have to be polite like someone chairing a debate. You can just tell people to fuck the fuck off.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Quote by slapsymcdougal
The quote in the OP mentions debate. And similarly, for a support group, you don't even have to be polite like someone chairing a debate. You can just tell people to fuck the fuck off.

I'm not sure telling an addict or a victim of rape or a minority discussing their experiences with racism to 'fuck off' would be helpful to them. Usually it helps to listen.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
I'm not sure telling an addict or a victim of rape or a minority discussing their experiences with racism to 'fuck off' would be helpful to them. Usually it helps to listen.
Are they going to be the ones coming in and asking if rape is even real?
Quote by Diemon Dave
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by ali.guitarkid7

No he's meaning telling the dickheads who are coming in trying to mansplain or some shit to fuck off.
My old signature was too long. Have a daisy.

Quote by institutions
i'm a straight white male in America, i've got all the luck i need, and am not allowed to criticize safe spaces because they are not for me

i need a safe space to get away from the people who feel they need safe spaces

So any pub/bar then?
It didn't take long to realise
The safest place was not her arms, but her eyes
Where she can't see you
For her gaze, it blisters;
Grey skin to cinders
Ugh, mansplain.

the crime of having a penis and an opinion at the same time
In a way this thread and all of these debates is a failure of people to establish definitions and beliefs/positions prior to discussion.

if you go into a debate where your "opponent" means one thing for one word, and you mean something very different with that same word, the discussion is for all intents and purposes devoid of meaning. It either becomes arguing past each other, or it becomes some sort of emotivist disco
they're coming to take me away
ha-haaa
Last edited by Banjocal at Sep 14, 2016,
Quote by RAB11
No he's meaning telling the dickheads who are coming in trying to mansplain or some shit to fuck off.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Are they going to be the ones coming in and asking if rape is even real?

Oh, my bad. Yeah but you tell them to fuck off and you've got a bunch of people decrying the loss off freedom of speech, and how minorities are all babies who don't want their opinions challenged. The stigma popularly associated with these spaces almost defeats their purpose.
Last edited by ali.guitarkid7 at Sep 14, 2016,
I love how wound up ali gets
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by Banjocal
In a way this thread and all of these debates is a failure of people to establish definitions and beliefs/positions prior to discussion.

if you go into a debate where your "opponent" means one thing for one word, and you mean something very different with that same word, the discussion is for all intents and purposes devoid of meaning. It either becomes arguing past each other, or it becomes some sort of emotivist disco
Conveniently the proponents of "safe spaces" as they are in practice on universities are typically the ones being obtuse about just what they mean and want. But they're cowards so that's to be expected.

"Every day I wonder how many things I am dead wrong about."
Quote by StewieSwan

Ha! Not with that TV in your room and your new smart refrigerator, smart toaster. I hope you're not watching anything problematic, Stewie-san...
Segregation now!
Just remember to not blame it on whitey when it doesn't end up the way you want it to.
I know whitey will still be blamed though.
Yo fuck whitey
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster