So...recently I made an investment and got myself a JCM2000 (and a Carvin 4x12 cab respectively) and i'm very pleased with the sound of it...But i've been doing guitar for about 3 years and this is my first tube amp, i've always known about boost pedals and i got myself a tube screamer (TS9) and had it on my pedal board for a lead boost on my old amp, and i've always heard about using a low gain amp and a good loud boost but I'm just wondering, do people normally boost the front of an amp with a TS9 to get their normal rhythm tones? or do you set the gain on the amp and then only use the TS9 for a lead boost?

I know it's a super noob question but I've just never gotten a straight answer
There isn't a right or wrong way to use an OD. Just use the pedal in any way that works for you. That's all that matters.

TS9's and all the other millions of OD's just like it are used all kinds of ways. It's commonplace for metal players and to use use them for tone shaping rather than adding more gain. TS9's naturally cut bass and add mids which lends itself well to modern metal tones. That's most likely the instance where you've heard on the internet about people leaving them permanently on all the time.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
T00DEEPBLUE Thank you!! The tone i'm going for is mainly bass and mid heavy, and definitely less trebs. I play in Eb standard with an Ibanez s521 with 12's, do you think going straight into the JCM or a JCM+boost would be a better fit? I'm trying to avoid EQ'ing the amp, since it will affect the clean channel (i never boost the clean channel so the EQ matters a little more since the amp does it all for that channel)
Quote by karniboy98
T00DEEPBLUE Thank you!! The tone i'm going for is mainly bass and mid heavy, and definitely less trebs. I play in Eb standard with an Ibanez s521 with 12's, do you think going straight into the JCM or a JCM+boost would be a better fit? I'm trying to avoid EQ'ing the amp, since it will affect the clean channel (i never boost the clean channel so the EQ matters a little more since the amp does it all for that channel)

If your amp has two channels and a shared EQ then getting an EQ pedal might be a better bet for shaping your tone when using the OD channel and you can still use the TS9
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

you can do it either way, as t00deepblue said. or you can use two boost pedals, one for rhythm and one for lead (or both on for lead).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Evilnine
If your amp has two channels and a shared EQ then getting an EQ pedal might be a better bet for shaping your tone when using the OD channel and you can still use the TS9

I was going to suggest the same thing. The MXR M108 10 band EQ has a gain and volume slider that may do just what you want - an EQ change and boost all in one.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
I agree getting a 10-band graphic EQ is a great idea. It's hard to design EQ pedals wrong, but concerning the graphic ones, MXR 10-band is unquestionably the one to have. Fairly priced, not noisy, lots of headroom, gain sliders have tons of range, frequencies are in very useful bands, well built etc etc.

There's never a situation where an EQ pedal isn't useful. But dialing them in perfectly does require a bit of patience.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Sep 15, 2016,
EvilnineIt's not tone shaping, mainly it's trying to get a good distortion. The EQ i mess with live, depending on the venue, some of my songs use a chorus, and sounds HORRIBLE with a boost, but with the boost off there's not as much cut. I've been thinking about using it in in and out depending on the song, but I'm not sure if I'm just doing something wrong with the boost to get it's full effect. (for reference, i use it with drive on 0, tone at 12:00 and volume at 12:00)
when people use a an OD pedal as "boost" for their rhythm tone, its usually to tighten the low end, and this is a staple for lower tuned metal guitar playing.

A boost may not be necessary for the type of tone your after, but it could definitely give you some options.

The main game changer is that tone knob. It cuts the bass and give a bump in the high mids and treble, but it can be set to taste.

Now, this doesn't mean your tone will lack bass, this EQ adjustment is before the preamp, and the EQ controls on your amp are post-preamp, most likely (save for amps like the Mesa Mark series, which have pre-preamp EQ knobs, and post-preamp EQ sliders)

Adjusting EQ before and after the gain stages do COMPLETELY different things to your tone, so cutting the bass before the gain/preamp, doesn't mean your tone will be less bassy. It will make it more "clanky" and tight sounding, but still able to be boomy if your bass is cranked in the amp.

Usually the drive is set to zero, or very low, as to not color your amps natural sound, and the volume usually dimed or very high, to make your signal hot and add more gain, which can be tamed by bringing the drive on your amp down.

Now this is just one way to use an OD, but it's the most common when it comes to rhythm.

I honestly just like to think of a boost as a EQ, you can literally do the same thing with an EQ pedal in front of the amp if you know how to set the sliders, and actually get more functionality out of it.

But you can also play with the drive on the pedal, you may find you like how it colors your sound.
Ignite thank you for your reply and everyone's help! So essentially the TS9 is more of a way to tighten up the sound rather than add Gain? Because when I drop tune, I ALWAYS have the boost on, since it des just that, I think I'll mess around with it some more to get it how I like it for my Eb tuning

I may also invest in an EQ pedal, since an EQ in the loop adjusts the level of the frequency band and the EQ in front controla the gain of the frequency I'll have it before the loop for the clean channel

I think my main problem was I was looking for that 'perfect distortion' to use on drop tunings, with , he chorus on, with delay on, Eb or standard, ect, but I think it'll need some messing around with!
There's not nessesrly enough low end in Eb for it to be boomy, would it be best to have the amp do all the gain in Eb, and then boost when I do solos or drop tune to B?
You're mostly right, but it definitely adds gain with the volume knob dimed. And that can definitely help if you need that extra boost.

There's a slight difference between a really hot signal going into preamp vs turning your gain up on your amp. Some amps get a bit fizzy sounding, but if you drop your gain down, and turn the volume up on your boost, it might make a difference.
Quote by karniboy98
There's not nessesrly enough low end in Eb for it to be boomy, would it be best to have the amp do all the gain in Eb, and then boost when I do solos or drop tune to B?

It's all up to you bud, if it were me I'd do exactly that. I usually like an amps natural sound when playing rhythm in standard/Eb, but it really depends on the amp.

If I were playing a Dual rectifier, I'd probably have a boost on at all times. If I were playing a Mark IV, its not really needed.

I have no experience with JCM except an old 900 I played a long time ago, it seems fine in its own, but it wasnt mine and I didn't get to play with it long enough.
Ignite Sounds good! i'll try 'em both out and see which one i like more \m/ thanks for the help!
Quote by Ignite

If I were playing a Dual rectifier, I'd probably have a boost on at all times. If I were playing a Mark IV, its not really needed.

How come the recto needs a boost? I heard they lack a LOT of mid's naturally
Quote by karniboy98
How come the recto needs a boost? I heard they lack a LOT of mid's naturally

Exactly, they're naturally kind of flubby, lot of bass and not so much mids. You can work around it if you have some tight pickups and play with the EQ, but IMO a Dual Rec really shines with a boost. Crank that tone knob and it cuts the flub and boosts the mids and highs.

And if you still like a scooped sound, you can still scoop the mids on the amp and still remain fairly present and still tight.
Here's a curveball, I picked this up brand new on clearance for $30 at Sam Ash, its an Ibanez BB-9 "Bottom Booster".

it's basically a tubescreamer but more of a low mid boost, not so much in the hi mid. similar effect, but I like it more than a tubescreamer for some of my amps.

an EQ may be the way to go through, I have used them at times.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
trashedlostfdup I might have to check it out thanks for the info! Honesty my biggest question is if it's commonplace for guitarist to ALWAYS have a boost in front of them amp for rhythm and leads, after reading upon this thread, I've re-eq'd the amp and set the gain so without the boost ito got gain, but not too much to make the chugs stand out, and the boost will give some chug and tighten the low end on my drop tunes guitar...and I may pick up and EQ for the cleqn channel since irs got a shared EQ
Quote by karniboy98
trashedlostfdup I might have to check it out thanks for the info! Honesty my biggest question is if it's commonplace for guitarist to ALWAYS have a boost in front of them amp for rhythm and leads, after reading upon this thread, I've re-eq'd the amp and set the gain so without the boost ito got gain, but not too much to make the chugs stand out, and the boost will give some chug and tighten the low end on my drop tunes guitar...and I may pick up and EQ for the cleqn channel since irs got a shared EQ

Anytime I am plugging into a metal oriented amp playing distorted, my Boost is on. applies to my rockerverb, splawn, 5150, mesa dual rectifier tremoverb, and another dozen amps i own
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
trashedlostfdup How come? So it's very common to constantly boost an amp just purely for tone and not gain?
Quote by karniboy98
trashedlostfdup How come? So it's very common to constantly boost an amp just purely for tone and not gain?

it is very common. the main reason is that the you can hit the first gain stage harder, and tighten up your tone. tube screamers cut the bass a little bit and boost the mids a little bit. many other OD"s do the same thing.

when you boost (me anyways) the level is all the way up and the gain is zero or maybe ten percent. the tone knob depends on the situation.

it should also be noted that you don't need as much gain on the amp with a pedal boosting, i think that can contribute to some more clarity.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
^ yeah. i also fancy (and i could well be imagining this) that the amp cleans up a little better on the volume knob when using a boost pedal as well.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?