So, I'm looking at buying a lonestar head for just under 1k (usd). Running it into a 4x12 with two c90 black shadows and two evm12ls (half open back).

I'm looking to get an Eric Johnson-like tone out of it.

Question is, pull the trigger on this or is there a better way to get that sort of tone out of 1k?
It should do you fine. I loved my Mesa Lone Star.
A Stiletto would work as well and they're usually a bit cheaper, at least where I live.
good while since i've tried one but i think that would probably work.

which ej tone are you after, the clean or the dirty? or both?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
For what it's worth, Andy Timmons uses a Lone Star and I'd say he's in the same style of music as Eric Johnson and they've certainly borrowed off each other.
EJ tones will not be a problem at all for this amp.
Quote by tfizzle20
More towards his dirty tone (though both).

yeah if you need both i'm guessing you could do a lot worse than a lonestar. you basically (i think) want something blackface fendery for the cleans and then something more vintage marshally (maybe with a fuzz and/or od pedal up front) for the dirt.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?