Hi guys, Ive been playing guitar for around 3 years. But mostly just messing around playing pop songs. All the famous ones. Riptide, taylor swift stuff, john rzeznik im still here. Not alot at all. I can play the most common chords and their barr equivalent.

But im more into green day music, all american rejects and that kind of stuff. And i want to learn electric guitar.

At the local music store they had the SX guitars which apperently is just Fender Squires relabled. And they had a combo (see below). What are you opinions on this? Can I go ahead? Should I just learn acoustic better? Thanks.

The pictures doesnt want to load so

Guitar http://www.sx-guitar.com/index.php/Products/detail/pid/26/id/124
Amp https://www.amazon.com/SX-GA1065-STCAD-Guitar-Amplifier/dp/B000E659QA
Last edited by Draiko at Sep 15, 2016,
Rebranded Squier?
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

I don't think SX is re-branded squire, the only place I have ever seen them for sale is from Rondo Music. If you are going for more rock/punk stuff you probably want to get a guitar with a humbucker in the bridge as opposed to single coil. I have no experience with this amp but I think its a pretty safe bet to say its pretty crap, if you are looking to be really cheap try finding a used peavey rage amp.

If you give us a budget, general location (i.e city or closest major city) we can give you more recommendations.
i have no idea if they're rebranded squiers. sounds a bit fishy to me- like the shop figures saying that will increase the likelihood of a sale.

that being said, I remember several years back SXes were all the rage on HC forums, they were meant to be good value. Actually a ton of shops here have all of ao sudden started stocking them, but I haven't got round to trying any. I imagine you could do a lot worse if you're on a strict budget, they do have some higher and lower models (with not that much difference in price), but that'd be worth considering- I think that's one of the lower-end ones you linked to, the alder or ash ones might be slightly better (but i could be wrong, if the only difference is the body wood, unless it's really poor quality basswood, there might be little in it).

you also would likely be better off with something with humbuckers. I guess you could swap a humbucker in later, but i'm not sure how those SXes are routed under the scratchplate. Or a telecaster-style one might be slightly better than a strat for the heavier(ish) stuff if you don't want to faff about with swapping pickups.

I'd skip the SX amp, though, cheapo amps are often/normally rubbish. what kind of budget do you have?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
By "relabelled" he might have meant that they came out of the same factory, which is entirely possible. However, even if they are from the same factory, you don't know that the QC and materials specs written into the production contract are the same.

SX are fairly common here in Oz, and seem to have a good reputation,
Last edited by Tony Done at Sep 15, 2016,
I worked very briefly a couple years ago at a music shop that stocked SX Strats. Nothing to write home about but they were usable guitars which is impressive at that price point. That said, the shop's been out of business since a few months after I left (I think that was the Daisy Rock Guitars that did that, though).

What I would say, is if 6 months or a year down the line you're likely to have even so much as $50 more to spend on this, I think waiting might be a better option. At this kind of price point, that extra cash will go a long way. Or buy the guitar, and hold off on the amp till you can manage a better one. Either way, a little more money spent wisely can get you much better gear.

As others have noted, something with a humbucker in the bridge may well suit you better, and I also think you might want to look at secondhand stuff to get more bang for buck. Lots of good stuff out there if you know where to look.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Fender owns the plant that Squiers are made at so not a rebrand. imported by Rondo Music who also do the Agile line. acceptable guitars for the price
Okay thanks guys. I might hold of on it a bit and get a Squier. Just needed some info as im gonna spend money on a motorcycle soona swell
The SX Leo I had was really nice. The neck had a super profile and it was laquered which I really dig. Pickups sounded good considering they were cheap ceramics.

That being said, if resale is important to you I would just get a Fender or a Squier.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by Draiko

But im more into green day music, all american rejects and that kind of stuff. And i want to learn electric guitar.

Should I just learn acoustic better? Thanks.

Just to clarify this, since we all sort of hinted at it with our advice but didn't actually say it in black and white- if you know you want to play stuff which is electric-based and can afford it, then absolutely, get an electric guitar. it's a different enough instrument to be worth it.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
monwobobbo

The idea of a western company owning a Chinese factory seems odd to me, though I can imagine a Chinese-owned factory having a single contract to make just one brand of guitars. I tried (not very hard) to find out something about the source of Chinese Squiers, with no success. Do you have any info?
Quote by Tony Done
monwobobbo

The idea of a western company owning a Chinese factory seems odd to me, though I can imagine a Chinese-owned factory having a single contract to make just one brand of guitars. I tried (not very hard) to find out something about the source of Chinese Squiers, with no success. Do you have any info?

well you are correct in that Fender doesn't totally own the factory nor does Gibson with the Epiphone factory. China doesn't allow foreigners to actually own anything over there in the accepted sense. yes they do have a contract with a factory and put up much of the capitol and equipment used for manufacturing.

although those guitars are made in China they aren't considered Chinese goods by the gov't there. if you want to buy a Squier or Epiphone guitar in China it has t be imported back into the country (tax reasons) my brother teaches English in Beijing and translates business contracts as well.
I have never heard of SX and Squier being in the same factory but I do remember threads elsewhere mentioning that the factory that produced AXL guitars were making Squiers for a small bit of time. Maybe that was the confusion?

Either way, I can't find anything solid, so it's probably mostly word of mouth/speculation.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.