If you had to choose between an SG special t, Telecaster hss, or Jaguar Blacktop Which would you choose & why??

I would play them & buy the one I liked best.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
the sg because i don't have anything with minihumbuckers at the moment. that's not much help to you, though (i also haven't tried it and sometimes the cheaper gibsons are a bit, er, rustic-feeling... )

what's your current gear and what type(s) of music do you play?

which HSS tele? and do you have a link to the blacktop jag, it seems to be discontinued...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Best response so far! Thank you! So, I am going through a bit of a nutty gear phase and getting a bit obsessive about a guitar. I have been playing acoustic for the last year or so, composing songs, & my influences are the Melvins, Kristin Hersh, Frank Black (solo not pixies) breeders, nirvana, black sabbath, etc. So mostly hard rock with a touch of folk & eclectic ala Kristin hersh & Frank Black. I want to get into playing electric again and I cant decide on a workhorse guitar. I only want 1 at this time to record with and jam (with whole band). I'm a female, so my voice has more treble so I thought it would be a good balance to go humbucker route and i do prefer the warm tones. I'm not too into shrill and sparkly. My voice handles that lol. I Found a jag blacktop online at GC for $471. Couldn't pass it up. Plays nice and angry (kinda growls) but sometimes sounds too thick n muddy to my ears. My friend made me go to GC with him cause he needed a new git, & of course like a magnet Im drawn to the guitars. Took down an sg special t 2016 & started playing. Fell in love & had to have it. Took it home, plugged into my marshall, recorded a few tracks (I dont have any recording gear so I use my phone but it has a GREAT mic) and it sounds ok but kinda quacky & muddy. It's like I can't decide correctly in store. I get home and change my opinion. I dislike strats (I know weird, but just how it is) but saw an american telecaster professional series online for a great price. I'm intrigued but also think of be making a mistake returning the sg. I know I need them ALL but wanna decide between them preferably. Obviously i am confused and just want help making a decision eventhough it may seem stupid to try to do so in a forum. I believe in other guitar enthusiasts helping though. It is a passion after all, and almost like getting relationship advice. At the end of the day, noone can can tell you how feel, but they can give you advice and try to slap some sense into you!! Lol!! Help!! Lol!!
Lots of cool guitars out there...

While I LOVE buying guitars, perhaps you might be better served with a pickup swap...

Also, what's your amp?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Sep 16, 2016,
Marshall dsl40. I've got mini humbuckers in the sg and humbuckers in the blacktop. That American Tele pro has a splittable humbucker at the bridge, classic Tele single coil at the neck. Wish my local stores had one so i could play it.
My choice would be the Jaguar, but they're my favorite style of any guitar (I own three), so there's that.

Piggybacking onto the pickup idea, I owned an FSR blacktop (with the bound fretboard), and found the neck pickup too muddy. I swapped in a humbucker sized P90 and got way more useable tones out of it. You might also look into some low output humbucker (the Fender Dragsters come to mind) which almost have a single coil voice about them.

Short of all that, and I know it's not on your list, but I found some truly spectacular sounds out of my Reverend Charger 290 - the bass contour allows you to roll off some of the low end, and the P90's are clear and loud.

You should be able to find one used, it's just a matter of finding one local to try out that's the trick:
http://www.reverendguitars.com/instrument/charger-290/
OffsetOffset
Last edited by SteveHOC at Sep 16, 2016,
like the idea of swapping a pickup with a p90. Also, I've played a couple
reverend guitars, the billy corgan model and another used one at GC that
had a bigsby installed. Liked them both a lot and seriously considered
buying one but the BC model I really liked was just too expensive. If i can find another locally I will totally try it out. Where are they made??
1) I don't know much about your amp, so I can't say if it's contributing to your issues.

2) Reverends are designed, set up & inspected in Detroit, but like many guitars, they are made in S. Korea. Love them- I own a few...

...and I want more.

If I were going to recommend a Rev, the ones at the top of my list, given what we've been told so far, would be either the Double Agent or Double Agent OG.
http://www.reverendguitars.com/instrument/double-agent-og/
http://www.reverendguitars.com/instrument/double-agent-iii/

The Double Agent, at least, has been around several years, so you might be able to find a used one in good condition at a nice price.

My next suggestions would be any of the models wit RevTron miniHBs. They're probably going to be a brighter and- I believe- higher output pickup than the ones in the SG. The Sensei RT is one such, out of production, but with an echo of the SG aesthetic.

The Sensei 290 would keep that aesthetic, but give you the P90s present in SteveHOC's Charger 290- a tempting combo, yes?

https://reverb.com/item/2856619-reverend-sensei-rt-silver-metal-flake
https://reverb.com/item/2836023-reverend-sensei-290-2016-gloss-wine-red-with-hard-case?_aid=pla&pla=1&gclid=Cj0KEQjwsO6-BRDRy8bsxfiV2bkBEiQAF8EzKCeYLJAMjyuAqzFL4pUMdIaHJ6L-8Ac3bjNyYbRUgOEaAg_68P8HAQ

3) I was thinking of a HB-sized P90 when I raised that particular specter- no surprise considering my Reverend rec. I've found the HB/P90 to be a very nice combo. Railhammer, Vintage Vibe, Lollar, The Creamery, and Bareknuckle all make some tasty ones, to name but a few.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Sep 16, 2016,
Thinking through affordable guitars out there with a bridge HB and a P90 in the neck, I remembered the G&L Tribute Fallout:

https://reverb.com/marketplace/electric-guitars?query=g%26l+fallout+tribute&product_type=electric-guitars&sort=price%7Casc

The Tribute line is roughly analogous to Fender's MIM products. They're made in Indonesia with many of the same parts as their USA made cousins.

Godin's Empire has been produced in a HB/P90 form as well:

https://reverb.com/item/2110408-godin-richmond-empire-rn-solid-body-single-cutaway-electric-guitar-black-hg
https://reverb.com/item/2834747-godin-empire-2016-mahogany-hg-rn
https://reverb.com/item/2860234-godin-richmond-empire-white-cream-m

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Sep 17, 2016,
I'd agree that the Revtron equipped Reverends are a good go as well. I've got a Roundhouse RT that sounds great with the Revtrons. I was kind of thinking with the options you had listed, a Reverend might fit the bill; slightly offset telecaster styles (as in the Charger I mentioned). To make it all a bit more complicated, I have also owned the Warhawk II HB, Charger HB, Buckshot, and Double Agent. Literally every one of them was a phenomenal player, and if I had the space, I'd have kept them all.

Like I said, the Jaguar could do very will with a P90 in the neck, but if you're at all interested in Reverends, I'd try to find a shop that stocks them, locally.
OffsetOffset
Last edited by SteveHOC at Sep 17, 2016,
The Jag, but only because I know I would break the SG in half quickly in a live setting.

What?

I move around a lot.
Cry yourself to ash
Speaking of Fender, if you can find it, there was the Blacktop Jazzmaster:

PRS' Vela and some versions of the Gibson BFG were HB/P90, but may be hard to find under $1000.
https://reverb.com/marketplace?query=PRS+vela&sort=price%7Casc
https://reverb.com/marketplace?query=Gibson+bfg&sort=price%7Casc

And all the others I can think of are either pricier or so rare as to not be worth mentioning.

Hmm....so now I'm thinking reverend, fallout, or modify my jag. I do love the sg but I agree that the fragility factor is kinda sketchy. Oh man, I swear guitars are like people or pets. You actually develop feelings! Or am i just a weirdo?! Haha
Quote by SteveHOC
I'd agree that the Revtron equipped Reverends are a good go as well. I've got a Roundhouse RT that sounds great with the Revtrons. I was kind of thinking with the options you had listed, a Reverend might fit the bill; slightly offset telecaster styles (as in the Charger I mentioned). To make it all a bit more complicated, I have also owned the Warhawk II HB, Charger HB, Buckshot, and Double Agent. Literally every one of them was a phenomenal player, and if I had the space, I'd have kept them all.

Like I said, the Jaguar could do very will with a P90 in the neck, but if you're at all interested in Reverends, I'd try to find a shop that stocks them, locally.

I find it oddly hilarious that between the 2 of us, we own or owned 10 Reverends, and we have almost no points of commonality! I mean, my Roundhouse is the standard HH. Model, while yours is the RT. My Flatroc has the same basic body as your Charger & Buckshot, but that's about it.

Awesome!!! Love the jazzmaster sound. I'm a huge dinosaur jr/j mascis fan, so..

I tried the classic player in GC but it was broken. The tone wheel just didn't function. Kinda turned me off. I Couldn't really enjoy playing it. I need to try more of them and def this one.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
I find it oddly hilarious that between the 2 of us, we own or owned 10 Reverends, and we have almost no points of commonality! I mean, my Roundhouse is the standard HH. Model, while yours is the RT. My Flatroc has the same basic body as your Charger & Buckshot, but that's about it.

They've got such a deep catalog! My next guitar purchase is likely to be a Six Gun, I've always wanted to try one out.
OffsetOffset
I don't see anything particularly...affordable.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Sep 17, 2016,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
I don't see anything particularly...affordable.

Firebird? Sg? I'm not even looking at the les pauls
Last edited by Rawkgirl22 at Sep 17, 2016,
My eyes glossed right over those, hidden as they were among axes 2-3x costlier.

Quote by Rawkgirl22
Best response so far! Thank you! So, I am going through a bit of a nutty gear phase and getting a bit obsessive about a guitar. I have been playing acoustic for the last year or so, composing songs, & my influences are the Melvins, Kristin Hersh, Frank Black (solo not pixies) breeders, nirvana, black sabbath, etc. So mostly hard rock with a touch of folk & eclectic ala Kristin hersh & Frank Black. I want to get into playing electric again and I cant decide on a workhorse guitar. I only want 1 at this time to record with and jam (with whole band). I'm a female, so my voice has more treble so I thought it would be a good balance to go humbucker route and i do prefer the warm tones. I'm not too into shrill and sparkly. My voice handles that lol. I Found a jag blacktop online at GC for $471. Couldn't pass it up. Plays nice and angry (kinda growls) but sometimes sounds too thick n muddy to my ears. My friend made me go to GC with him cause he needed a new git, & of course like a magnet Im drawn to the guitars. Took down an sg special t 2016 & started playing. Fell in love & had to have it. Took it home, plugged into my marshall, recorded a few tracks (I dont have any recording gear so I use my phone but it has a GREAT mic) and it sounds ok but kinda quacky & muddy. It's like I can't decide correctly in store. I get home and change my opinion. I dislike strats (I know weird, but just how it is) but saw an american telecaster professional series online for a great price. I'm intrigued but also think of be making a mistake returning the sg. I know I need them ALL but wanna decide between them preferably. Obviously i am confused and just want help making a decision eventhough it may seem stupid to try to do so in a forum. I believe in other guitar enthusiasts helping though. It is a passion after all, and almost like getting relationship advice. At the end of the day, noone can can tell you how feel, but they can give you advice and try to slap some sense into you!! Lol!! Help!! Lol!!

did you try the guitars in the store on a different amp from yours?

also trying in the store isn't ideal, it's kind of embarassing and you're under pressure. a lot of people say they wouldn't buy without trying, but at the same time I'm not sure trying in a shop is ideal most of the time either- you can easily miss stuff in the store.

do you still have the stock speaker in your amp? if so, that would probably be worth changing before spending tons on guitars.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
did you try the guitars in the store on a different amp from yours?

also trying in the store isn't ideal, it's kind of embarassing and you're under pressure. a lot of people say they wouldn't buy without trying, but at the same time I'm not sure trying in a shop is ideal most of the time either- you can easily miss stuff in the store.

do you still have the stock speaker in your amp? if so, that would probably be worth changing before spending tons on guitars.

Yeah, i got a brand new marshall dsl 40 and it rocks. I think I'll go ahead and order the tele pro and play it at home and if i dont like i can always return you're right what you say about playing in store. My feelings exactly.
also change the speaker. the stock speaker isn't that great, and that may well be what's causing the problem. you need something that's good for at least 40 watts (a bit more doesn't hurt, especially if you don't go for a celestion since other makes often aren't rated as conservatively) and the same impedance as the stock speaker.

but yeah if you can return it and don't mind the bother then there's no real risk to trying that either.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
yeah i know and the stock speaker is a celestion 70/80 which is pretty middling, really. a new good speaker is maybe $100 or $120 (I'm not that well up on USA pricing but it's certainly a lot less than a new guitar). personally i'd say it's worth doing even if you get a new guitar, the speaker makes a pretty big difference and it's worth having a good one in there because if you don't you're always limited by it nomatter how good of a guitar you're using. and it may be the speaker you're not liking, not the guitar. normally it's pretty easy to swap a speaker but occasionally combos are a bit awkward- if you do consider doing it it'd be worth googling to see if anyone online has detailed their experiences of swapping a speaker in your amp to see if it was an easy swap or if it was awkward.

just to clarify, when I said in my post above about "returning it", I meant the guitar, not the amp. Sorry for the ambiguity.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Hi yeah i know and the stock speaker is a celestion 70/80 which is pretty middling, really. a new good speaker is maybe $100 or $120 (I'm not that well up on USA pricing but it's certainly a lot less than a new guitar). personally i'd say it's worth doing even if you get a new guitar, the speaker makes a pretty big difference and it's worth having a good one in there because if you don't you're always limited by it nomatter how good of a guitar you're using. and it may be the speaker you're not liking, not the guitar. normally it's pretty easy to swap a speaker but occasionally combos are a bit awkward- if you do consider doing it it'd be worth googling to see if anyone online has detailed their experiences of swapping a speaker in your amp to see if it was an easy swap or if it was awkward.

just to clarify, when I said in my post above about "returning it", I meant the guitar, not the amp. Sorry for the
Last edited by Rawkgirl22 at Sep 19, 2016,
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah i know and the stock speaker is a celestion 70/80 which is pretty middling, really. a new good speaker is maybe $100 or $120 (I'm not that well up on USA pricing but it's certainly a lot less than a new guitar). personally i'd say it's worth doing even if you get a new guitar, the speaker makes a pretty big difference and it's worth having a good one in there because if you don't you're always limited by it nomatter how good of a guitar you're using. and it may be the speaker you're not liking, not the guitar. normally it's pretty easy to swap a speaker but occasionally combos are a bit awkward- if you do consider doing it it'd be worth googling to see if anyone online has detailed their experiences of swapping a speaker in your amp to see if it was an easy swap or if it was awkward.

just to clarify, when I said in my post above about "returning it", I meant the guitar, not the amp. Sorry for the ambiguity.

Thanks for the info!?
So should I have gone with a different amp in the first place? I was considering the fender hot rod deluxe but then went with a marshall because I thought the sound suited the music i wanna play better. I originally bought a fender mustang IV modeling amp, but i thought I'd be better off going tube so I exchanged it for the marshall. The fender modeling amp was 150 watts. It doesn't seem right that you pay $699 for an amp (the marshall) and then have to replace the speaker. Makes me think I went with the wrong amp
Quote by Dave_Mc

Thanks for the info?
So should I have gone with a different amp in the first place? I was considering the fender hot rod deluxe but then went with a marshall because I thought the sound suited the music i wanna play better. I originally bought a fender mustang IV modeling amp, but i thought I'd be better off going tube so I exchanged it for the marshall. The fender modeling amp is 150 watts. It doesn't seem right that you pay $699 for an amp (the marshall) and then have to replace the speaker. It should sound amazing for that price! Lol! Makes me think I went with the wrong amp ??
no if you play mainly more rockier stuff your amp is better than the hot rod deluxe (at least in my opinion). just because the speaker isn't great doesn't mean the amp is bad or that you made the wrong choice, lol. you normally have to pay a fair bit more money to get amps which already come with good speakers, unfortunately. I mean if you swap the speaker and it does what you want, there's no real harm done (well apart from the extra $120 you had to fork out for the new speaker, I suppose)- the speaker is often the achilles heel with cheaper amps and if you put a good speaker in there it often improves things a lot and suddenly your amp can hang with much more expensive amps.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Sep 19, 2016,
Quote by Dave_Mc
no if you play mainly more rockier stuff your amp is better than the hot rod deluxe (at least in my opinion). just because the speaker isn't great doesn't mean the amp is bad or that you made the wrong choice, lol. you normally have to pay a fair bit more money to get amps which already come with good speakers, unfortunately. I mean if you swap the speaker and it does what you want, there's no real harm done (well apart from the extra $120 you had to fork out for the new speaker, I suppose)- the speaker is often the achilles heel with cheaper amps and if you put a good speaker in there it often improves things a lot and suddenly your amp can hang with much more expensive amps.

Good point, and good to know. I just might have to do that.

On another note, kinda, my SG is disappointing me in its ability to tune and stay in tune. My jag blacktop is pretty solid except the bridge pickup goes dead every now and then. I love it otherwise so wouldn't want to switch it out, I dont think. The sg might have to go back to GC though I swear, returning a guitar is like ending a relationship. Sorry SG, it's not you It's me. Well, actually it kinda IS you and your inability to stay in tune
yeah the strings kind of splay out on gibson-style headstocks which doesn't help the tuning stability (though it could also be a dodgily-cut nut or something else)

just bear in mind if you do want to change the speaker you have a lot of options regarding the type of tone you want- it's a bit like pickups, you can't just pick a "good" speaker, it also has to work for the tone(s) you want and suit your amp and also there are a few technical things you need to match up so you don't kill your amp or speaker. Also unfortunately, again a bit like pickups, it's quite difficult to get to try all (or even some) of the speakers you're considering so eventually you kind of have to take a punt on something (after trying what you can and also listening to youtube reviews and soundclips) and hope it sounds the way you want it to. if you do decide to upgrade the speaker, whether now or later, feel free to make another thread and ask for advice, in other words.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Sep 19, 2016,
Quote by Rawkgirl22
Good point, and good to know. I just might have to do that.

On another note, kinda, my SG is disappointing me in its ability to tune and stay in tune. My jag blacktop is pretty solid except the bridge pickup goes dead every now and then. I love it otherwise so wouldn't want to switch it out, I dont think. The sg might have to go back to GC though I swear, returning a guitar is like ending a relationship. Sorry SG, it's not you It's me. Well, actually it kinda IS you and your inability to stay in tune

The jag probably just has a loose connection- pickups rarely "go bad". But if it is, we can hook you up with good options for replacements.

Ditto if you return the SG.

If your SG is like mine, it has a very thin neck that is pretty easy to pull out of tune if you simply play with heavy hands. With a light touch, my SG will stay well in tune. It does bring snotty tone with attitude that can only be found on an SG Special. I play it differently than the Tele or Strat which have pretty stout necks.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
SteveHOC
I recently purchased a Jaguar too and I absolutely love it!!! I've only been playing for 2 years, I started when I was 46. My first guitar was a new 2015 Epi Les Paul Custom Pro in Ebony. I paid $615 for it after tax and Pro Coverage at Guitar Center. So for the past few months I've been looking for something to compliment the LP and the Fender Jazzmaster caught my eye. So during my research I discovered that Jaguar has a shorter 24' neck. One of the reasons I was looking at a Fender was for a smaller neck as I have small hands and even though a Fender has a smaller neck around its longer than say a LP at 25.5" so I have trouble stretching my fingers apart especially at the lower end of the neck low E and A strings so I'm looking for a Jag and I really like the one Kurt Cobain played and an HH. I'm looking for a used one mind you so one pops up at GC for $650 and its a 2016 Fender Classic Jag in the 3 Color Sunburst HH and not a scratch on it!! And the prior owner installed Lollar Imperial pickups!!! I couldn't beleive it!! This thing sings and the neck feels great. I really can't afford it but I buy it anyway. Well I'm trying to change the knobs on my LP and I pull one of them out of the pot, crap. So I take it to GC and Epi says its covered under the mfr warranty so I'm waiting for it to be fixed and get a call saying they have to completely gut and replace the electronics so here's a full refund a e-gift car for $615!! Then today my boss gave me a $50 Visa gift card to with that $465 I'm able to completely pay for the Jaguar. I got the better guitar that feels just right for me and all it cost me was basically a trade of a used epi LP worth around $350-400 fo a $650 guitar!!! Its a X-Mas miracle!!