So i found a nice used epi Thunderhorse, and i was thinking of getting it. Im actually gonna go test it out today. I really love the explorer shape, and the silverburst finish is amazing. But i just noticed that it has some sort of resin fretboard, phenolic i think. Im kinda worried about that. How do they hold up compared to wood? How durable are they? The whole thing kinda put me of a bit, because it just seems like a really cheap option on an otherwise awesome looking guitar...
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
I had a Gibson LP swirl and it had a richlite fretboard, IIRC. It looked a lot like ebony and played very nicely. I did not notice too much of a tonal difference between that and my other rosewood fretboards.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Is your only issue with the guitar is the board isnt a solid piece of wood?

Gibson was using composite boards (richlite) on their ebony guitars when they were getting nailed hard by CITES issues. If you think having a resin board on an Epiphone seems kind of cheap, imagine that on a 3k guitar

The resin boards arent going to fall apart and from what I understand are pretty durable. But if you really think not having a solid piece of wood for a fingerboard might bug you, I would maybe consider holding off.

Personally if I liked it I would probably buy it.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I'm pretty sure no one would've noticed Richlite vs Ebony in a blind test anyway, really. If the rest of the specs are to your liking and you like how it plays, I wouldn't leave it just for the fact that it's got a resin board. If anything, I'd think a resin board would hold up better than wood, as it won't shift as much in different weather conditions.
Quote by gorkyporky
So i found a nice used epi Thunderhorse, and i was thinking of getting it. Im actually gonna go test it out today. I really love the explorer shape, and the silverburst finish is amazing. But i just noticed that it has some sort of resin fretboard, phenolic i think. Im kinda worried about that. How do they hold up compared to wood? How durable are they? The whole thing kinda put me of a bit, because it just seems like a really cheap option on an otherwise awesome looking guitar...

I posted a review about the Thunderhorse on UG I used to have one, it's quite a lovely guitar. Unfortunately I sent in my guitar to Epiphone for what I though was an uneven fret issue, turns out the neck was warped and it couldn't be fixed. So they replaced my Explorer with an Iommi Signature SG. I quite miss that guitar. I'd go for it, it's a discontinued model and they'll only get harder to find.
Yeah, so i called the guy thats selling it, and he thought it was ebony. Anyway, i decided not to go for it, since i was already kinda on the fence for it. I know its silly, but the more i thought about it, the more wrong it felt. I basicly wanted it cause it looked pretty, since i already owned a few explorers, and i hated all of them. So insted of getting this, i bought a pair of pickups
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Well hopefully that works out for you.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
These phenolic resin fretboards are far tougher, harder and more resilient than any wood. I really wouldn't worry about it in any case. You're not going to 'hear' how it sounds amplified either.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.